ESPN reports that MD Board unanimously approves B10 move | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN reports that MD Board unanimously approves B10 move

The pain-point here from the ACC's standpoint has to be Florida State. I'm not really sure losing Maryland causes them (Fla st) to react but if the ACC doesn't bring in a good FB school that could change. PSU is a pipe dream. I don't ever see them leaving the B1G. Not with all their $$ issues (lawsuits) in front of them.

Exactly, PSU isnt going anywhere, people are dreaming if they think PSU is leaving. Best thing is to sit down with FSU, Clemson, and Va Tech and see what can be worked out for the next addition.

Mark Turgeon now has to walk into living rooms from PGC to Baltimore (and the dens od AAU coaches) and tell the parents and handlers that they can forget Duke, Carolina, Cuse, short trips to UVA, Pitt, etc and load up the bus to see you beloved play in Madison.

Loh and Anderson and the fools who built those empty suites at Byrd really messed up a nice little thing they had.

It's funny, after 9/11 there was a decided trend of high school kids staying closer to home to attend college. My wife, who's a teacher, saw this play out anectdotally, and it was also measured more broadly statistically.

At the same time college conferences have expanded the boundaries of the leagues further and further and now require those same high school kids to commit to playing hundreds, if not thousands, of miles further away from home. I'm not big into the geography thing, but it's interesting to say the least.

Hell, even PRO leagues have been trying to limit travel in the past decade by consolidating divisions.

UL is better than Maryland in everything outside of academics they would be a maybe upgrade in the sporting department.

I am pulling that they overlook the commuter school stuff. UofL has some good programs. They make $$$$ and add to hoops.

I would prefer Louisville in the ACC.

And let me add that the Pac 12 and Big 10 are pretty much one in many ways so I'd have to think one knows what the other is going to do. My hope is that as many have stated before Swoford knew about this before and is/was prepared.

And let me add that the Pac 12 and Big 10 are pretty much one in many ways so I'd have to think one knows what the other is going to do. My hope is that as many have stated before Swoford knew about this before and is/was prepared.

He has to be prepared. I expect a quick rebuttle.

He had to know about it before MD was one of the two teams that voted against the increase payout.

He had to know about it before MD was one of the two teams that voted against the increase payout.

What worries me is the other one that voted no.

Well the other one is FSU and if they wanted the B12 they would already be there. We (the ACC) is always in trouble if the SEC comes calling.

More than 10 years I have said 4x16. I know its been at least that long because I have gotten beat up about it on every board we've been on. Vince Dooley predicted it in the 90's, even if it took the elite leaving the NCAA. They do not want to share $$$ with the lessers. I'm sticking with that end game.

So, how do you get there? There are only 3 conferences really safe. SEC, B10 and PAC10. So in time, some combo of ACC and B12 will be a 16 team conference no matter what name it gets. ACC, B12, something else.

Hello again WVU.

More than 10 years I have said 4x16. I know its been at least that long because I have gotten beat up about it on every board we've been on. Vince Dooley predicted it in the 90's, even if it took the elite leaving the NCAA. They do not want to share $$$ with the lessers. I'm sticking with that end game.

So, how do you get there? There are only 3 conferences really safe. SEC, B10 and PAC10. So in time, some combo of ACC and B12 will be a 16 team conference no matter what name it gets. ACC, B12, something else.

Hello again WVU.

I think it will come down to the PAC12 and Texas. I do not think the PAC12 adds anyone unless it is the group of Texas and OK. If that is the case then the B12 is dead and the ACC would be the 4th team. I just don't see how the PAC12 adds anyone but Texas and OK.

In order for the Pac12 to become a "superconference", they need to take 4 Big XII teams.

They're NOT inviting Fresno, New Mexico, UNLV, and Reno

Some combo of Texas/TT, Okie/Okie St, KU/KSt.

PSU is a huge win for us. No doubt that if somehow they were to get PSU to come on board, it would probably expedite ND coming full on.

But I understand your concerns as they mirror mine.

However, I would say LVille is a pretty good replacement. UConn... eh.

I know few care, but Louisville is a lousy school - a glorified commuter school.

I don't want to be associated with those kinds of schools anymore.

I am really pissed at MD and the Big Ten.

I wish nothing but bad luck for both.

As mentioned by others, Penn State was pushing HARD for this the past two years. They're finally getting what they've wanted since 2009 when the Big Ten announced expansion plans. Suffice to say, while you never say never with these things, it's extremely doubtful to the nth degree they are going anywhere.

As mentioned by others, Penn State was pushing HARD for this the past two years. They're finally getting what they've wanted since 2009 when the Big Ten announced expansion plans. Suffice to say, while you never say never with these things, it's extremely doubtful to the nth degree they are going anywhere.

That was also when JoePa was still alive and there wasn't the Ped State stuff.

Not saying you are wrong, but two years ago may as well be 10 years ago.

Mark Turgeon now has to walk into living rooms from PGC to Baltimore (and the dens od AAU coaches) and tell the parents and handlers that they can forget Duke, Carolina, Cuse, short trips to UVA, Pitt, etc and load up the bus to see you beloved play in Madison.

Loh and Anderson and the fools who built those empty suites at Byrd really messed up a nice little thing they had.

Turgeon is praying that Self takes an NBA job. That's his rescue now. Then we'll find out how attractive the Big 10 Maryland job is.

Conference jumping is as old as college football itself.

But i'm not ;). I started watching football in general just a couple years before the first big east raid. I was young and had no idea about "getting a spot at the big boy table".

Correct. And it isn't that they want to play MD or rutgirls so bad or even the potential BTN eyeballs. It is to further enhance their recruiting capability in those areas. They recruit NJ and the DC area pretty hard. A quick look at their roswter shows about 8 NJ kids and 12 DC area/MD kids. This makes it easier to recruit them even more. Their name will be in those areas more by playing MD and rutgirls and they will also be able to tell parents they will play in front of family and friends at times if not every other year.

But i'm not ;). I started watching football in general just a couple years before the first big east raid. I was young and had no idea about "getting a spot at the big boy table".

Well Steve here's where you age quickly and realize it has been and always will be about cash and power.

I don't follow this stuff; conference realignment is too confusing for me. My one question-- where does SU stand in all of this? ACC/ Big 12 merger?

I don't want to be associated with those kinds of schools anymore.
Honest question - for the purposes of athletics, why does this matter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom