ESPN reports that MD Board unanimously approves B10 move | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN reports that MD Board unanimously approves B10 move

More than 10 years I have said 4x16. I know its been at least that long because I have gotten beat up about it on every board we've been on. Vince Dooley predicted it in the 90's, even if it took the elite leaving the NCAA. They do not want to share $$$ with the lessers. I'm sticking with that end game.

So, how do you get there? There are only 3 conferences really safe. SEC, B10 and PAC10. So in time, some combo of ACC and B12 will be a 16 team conference no matter what name it gets. ACC, B12, something else.

Hello again WVU.

The question is, do you think we get a seat?

Correct. And it isn't that they want to play MD or rutgirls so bad or even the potential BTN eyeballs. It is to further enhance their recruiting capability in those areas. They recruit NJ and the DC area pretty hard. A quick look at their roswter shows about 8 NJ kids and 12 DC area/MD kids. This makes it easier to recruit them even more. Their name will be in those areas more by playing MD and rutgirls and they will also be able to tell parents they will play in front of family and friends at times if not every other year.
I don't think this improves PSUs recruiting of NJ, they owned NJ before Schiano came along. Since 2004 or so, RU has been even with PSU in NJ. If anything, this may hurt PSU in NJ because now NJ kids can play for RU and play in the B1G. I don't know the MD recruiting scene as well, but I suspect this won't change much there either.

Absolutely. It's just shuffling the deck chairs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UCONN, PSU and Vandy, that's who the ACC should target.

WVU and Louisville don't fit the conference's academic profile.

PSU, along with the ND add and UCONN, would help to lock up the Northeast and offset any Big Ten influence through Rutgers.

Vandy takes a stab at the SEC and adds another private school with a similar profile.

Vandy and UCONN both help the basketball quality of the conference and PSU would be a big boost to the football side. Vandy appears to be a rising program in football as well.

I think the ACC needs to make a major statement - and if you take schools from the Big Ten and SEC - you're doing that.

Adding L'ville, Navy, or UCONN alone doesn't do that.

Well, if you believe this then there are 64 teams in 4 conferences. If you subtract out the current membership of Pac (12), BiG (14, I'm including UMD and The Girls), and SEC (14) that leaves 24 seats to be divided amongst the 4 mega-Conferences. Bevo is currently 10 and ACC is currently 14. ND is 1. Under that math, someone in current ACC or Bevo gets left out in lieu of ND. If this is all about TV eyeballs at the end of the day (which I think it is), I like our chances.

People really need to stop worrying about this.

4x16 is imminent. Super Conferences are coming.

For those worried about Syracuse, OF COURSE they will be included. Do the math -

As was previously stated, BIG, PAC-12, SEC are safe. The fourth major conference is either ACC/Big 12 or combination of both. If you add all of those teams up currently in the 5 major conferences it comes out to 60 schools (including Rutgers/Syracuse and Pitt). That still leaves (4) open slots.

Assuming Syracuse remains on an elite academic standing, continues to successfully run its athletic department both responsibly and financially, continues to hold valuable assets like basketball/lacrosse and continues to lead its football program in an upward direction, OF COURSE Syracuse is included in 1 of the 4 major conferences. Most likely a combination of the ACC/Big 12 conference.

Can't imagine Penn State would ever choose to leave the Big10+. If it did, I wouldn't want to be the person calling Terry Pegula.

Terry, thanks for endowing the hockey program with 90 million and building us one of the nicest ice arenas in college hockey. I can't tell you how excited we are to be playing Mercyhurst and Bentley instead of Minnesota and Michigan. Wait until you see how huge the rivalry with Robert Morris and American International will be. You're gonna love it!

That was also when JoePa was still alive and there wasn't the Ped State stuff.

Not saying you are wrong, but two years ago may as well be 10 years ago.

Paterno was definitely a vocal ringleader, but Penn State has been pushing for this internally even as recently as the last couple months. The administration was gung-ho about this plan.

Here is a quote from Gene W. in his article on ESPN:

"I don't think expansion was ever Delany's first choice. That's why the Pac-12 alliance had so much appeal to him and the Big Ten presidents.

But when it fell apart, and the ACC formed its own alliance with Notre Dame, and geography began to work against the Big Ten, Delany decided he couldn't sit on his hands. In essence, it had become a zero-sum game."

Are you freaking kidding me? Doesn't the Big 10 pay out more per team than any other conference? How is anything working against them? A big to Delany and those s.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...es-weakness-latest-expansion-college-football

Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I never use the word "hate," but I really do not like MD.

I wish that school nothing but utter failure in every respect.

Rutgers has an excuse. Maryland really doesn't - at least in my opinion.

Exactly. Can't blame Buttgers. They need to make sure they have a spot. UMD? Meh. Not sure what they really gain.

Here is a quote from Gene W. in his article on ESPN:

"I don't think expansion was ever Delany's first choice. That's why the Pac-12 alliance had so much appeal to him and the Big Ten presidents.

But when it fell apart, and the ACC formed its own alliance with Notre Dame, and geography began to work against the Big Ten, Delany decided he couldn't sit on his hands. In essence, it had become a zero-sum game."

Are you freaking kidding me? Doesn't the Big 10 pay out more per team than any other conference? How is anything working against them? A big to Delany and those s.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...es-weakness-latest-expansion-college-football

I agree.

Does Gordon "Gecko" Delaney need a few more speed boats to waterski behind?

This has gotten ridiculous.

I hope the Big Ten somehow messes this up and I would not be unhappy if they found Delaney writing things on men's room walls.

Yuck.

PSU just got Maryland and Rutgers to join them, they are probably quite happy with that arrangement and are now more likely to stay in the Big 10.

PSU is not going anywhere. Today's news confirms that.

And let me add that the Pac 12 and Big 10 are pretty much one in many ways so I'd have to think one knows what the other is going to do. My hope is that as many have stated before Swoford knew about this before and is/was prepared.

Of course the ACC knew. This didn't start today. It started before ND's decision. And may have started as far back as SU and Pitt's decision.

PSU is not going anywhere. Today's news confirms that.

I figured that to be the case, and having my hopes on ND doesn't make me feel any better. Ironic if ND felt SU stabbed them in the back leaving the big east and to have the last laugh on this regarding SU and Pitt.

Of course the ACC knew. This didn't start today. It started before ND's decision. And may have started as far back as SU and Pitt's decision.

You're probably right and since Maryland was looking for cash this does make sense.

We'll have a seat. Question is would you rather be in the B10 or with the ACC/B12 leftovers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom