Estime commits! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Estime commits!

Remember when everyone was excited about Rene returning kicks and these same kind of posts were made? Or any number of returners before that? Its the next guy syndrome. Let's hope the next guy is finally the one.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

No I don't remember that either. Rene was a lightly recruited kid out of the city who had no offers but Syracuse.

The fact that he was even returning punts was more indicative of the rest of the roster. However, of anyone who I saw return a kick last year I thought Rene did it the best. Nobody on the team really seems to know how to return a kick.

At least with this kid, his speed is unquestioned, and he returned 6 or 7 kicks for tds in florida's class 7A where he was first team all-state.

But personally I'll be surprised if he ever plays a down here.

wait and see. One will the school let him in/play, see John Raymon, not an NCAA issue, and two 20 yr old vs teenagers.
I always wondered why Steve Rene was given a scholorship and have never been a fan. As to Estime based on his film he does seem to have elite speed and quickness. I remember years ago in the Dome when Prime time took one to the house. He just stood there didnt move, caught the ball and in what seemed like a second was in the end zone. I had never seen speed like that in a game before and dont think i have since. Not saying that Estime has that type of speed but the difference between Renes film and this kids is night and day

I always wondered why Steve Rene was given a scholorship and have never been a fan. As to Estime based on his film he does seem to have elite speed and quickness. I remember years ago in the Dome when Prime time took one to the house. He just stood there didnt move, caught the ball and in what seemed like a second was in the end zone. I had never seen speed like that in a game before and dont think i have since. Not saying that Estime has that type of speed but the difference between Renes film and this kids is night and day

Because we had scholarships open, and because Marrone wanted to establish a footprint in NYC, where Rene was from. I never had an issue with offering Rene, but I did question whether he was good enough to play at this level. I think landing players like Rene / Philips from the city that first class was more about downstream goodwill.

Because we had scholarships open, and because Marrone wanted to establish a footprint in NYC, where Rene was from. I never had an issue with offering Rene, but I did question whether he was good enough to play at this level. I think landing players like Rene / Philips from the city that first class was more about downstream goodwill.
Very good point. I wonder if Rene ends up transfering to a school like Stoney brook or Maine

I think you're referring to the punt return when Dion was a frosh.

He caught the ball and didn't run...kind of acted like he made a fair catch then he took off. Amazing speed to witness in person.

I see a lot of post about Estime's age as an advantage. I wonder if players get significantly faster between age 17 and 20. I could see if he were a DT simply pushing people out of the way, but he is a small guy. Also I would assume most high schools have a least one or two 19 year olds playing. For a small speed guy I don't see being a year or two older than his competition as that much of an advantage.

Very good point. I wonder if Rene ends up transfering to a school like Stoney brook or Maine

Agreed. My opinion only, but I think that someone like Rene would be a good player at that level [FCS / D1AA]. He was too small and just not quite athletic enough to play here.

He caught the ball and didn't run...kind of acted like he made a fair catch then he took off. Amazing speed to witness in person.

I could be mistaken, but wasn't it Terrell Buckley who had that punt return in the Dome?

Added video.

I don't think that was Dion Sanders--I think it was another DB they had. Buckley?

Craziest, disheartening play in that game.

I was reading the comments in this article and a poster mentions that Brisly completed many of his high school courses on line at "Florida Virtual School", which the posters calls an online high school. No way to varify this info but with the history of pulled offers and his age, I have concerns with his eligibility status. Thinking it may be a while getting sorted out. Still think he is worth the wait if it happens.

I wouldn't worry. Isaiah Johnsons school was also a virtual school. He still attended a classroom but the work was done on-line.

"We're glad you asked! Florida Virtual School is a public school but, as you can probably tell, we're not just any public school. We're online. This means no matter where you live you can access more than 120 courses, from Geometry to AP Art History and everything in between. What's more, our courses are just as real as the dedicated, certified teachers who teach them. FLVS is where you go to learn on your time and on your schedule, no matter what kind of student you are. Public, private and homeschooled students, from kindergarten-12th grade, can take our virtual courses whether they live in Florida or not."

Yes you are correct i couldnt believe it as he was the fastest player i ever saw in the dome. The fastest player i ever saw at archbold was Tony Dorset from Pitt. I remember we had him bottled up all game until he found a seem and took it about 90 yards in no time at all. Sure would be nice to have that kind of speed playing for us.

Count me in the crowd that wasn't ever enamored with Rene. His time at PR has been awful. Hopefully someone on this staff teaches kids to run towards the endzone, not catch kicks near OOB or inside the 10.

You may not have been enamored but I know many were with the speed and had pegged him as a kick returner. There have been others also. Hopefully this kid will be able to play and is finally the answer.

I don't think that was Dion Sanders--I think it was another DB they had. Buckley?

Craziest, disheartening play in that game.
Yes you are correct i couldnt believe it as he was the fastest player i ever saw in the dome. The fastest player i ever saw at archbold was Tony Dorset from Pitt. I remember we had him bottled up all game until he found a seem and took it about 90 yards in no time at all. Sure would be nice to have that kind of speed playing for us.
I think it was Buckley as stated above.

Speaking of speed...how about Vick's scramble to win the game. I remember Freeney sacking him 4.5 times and we still lost on that run. Freeney also lacerated his spleen (I think) in that game.

Remember when everyone was excited about Rene returning kicks and these same kind of posts were made? Or any number of returners before that? Its the next guy syndrome. Let's hope the next guy is finally the one.

I don't remember that at all. Rene did not have one offer out of high school (aside from Syracuse).

Gale Sayers played at archbold to when I was in school and he was also pretty fast.

Fastest player I ever saw in dome was the rb from bc. Maybe William green. Guy could fly. Remember him taking a dive play 80 yds or so. Once he was past the line, he was gone and in the end zone like 2 seconds later.

If his name isn't green, he was the guy who got drafted by the browns. I think he had major character issues and ended up havi g a drug arrest. Anyways, he flamed out of nfl fairly quick.

Gale Sayers played at archbold to when I was in school and he was also pretty fast.
That was the Floyd Little 5 TD game, Floyd was pretty fast too.

Three-star CB Estime finally finds a home
in.gif

February, 3, 2013
Feb 3
1:57
PM ET
By Corey Dowlar | ESPN.com

The incredible saga that has been Brisly Estime's (Delray Beach, Fla./Atlantic Community) recruitment appears to be at an end.

Just three days out from national signing day, the three-star cornerback has made a decision that should be final.

I don't know ..there is just something about that title.:)

Three-star CB Estime finally finds a home
in.gif

February, 3, 2013
Feb 3
1:57
PM ET
By Corey Dowlar | ESPN.com

The incredible saga that has been Brisly Estime's (Delray Beach, Fla./Atlantic Community) recruitment appears to be at an end.

Just three days out from national signing day, the three-star cornerback has made a decision that should be final.

I don't know ..there is just something about that title.
The 5-foot-9, 180-pound cornerback confirmed to ESPN that he had committed to ACC-bound Syracuse.

Estime had previously been committed to both Purdue and Iowa State, but neither came to fruition.

North Carolina State entered the picture late and offered Estime, but just days later, revoked it. Finally, over the weekend, Estime's official visit to the Orange paid off and he officially joined the 2013 class.

Estime was given a Scout Grade of 71 by ESPN.

I don't remember that at all. Rene did not have one offer out of high school (aside from Syracuse).

People were excited about Kobena because of his performance on the track. I don't remember anyone talking Rene up at all. Matter of fact, I think most of us were in the "trust the staff" mode on him because noone knew much about him.

No I don't remember that either. Rene was a lightly recruited kid out of the city who had no offers but Syracuse.

The fact that he was even returning punts was more indicative of the rest of the roster. However, of anyone who I saw return a kick last year I thought Rene did it the best. Nobody on the team really seems to know how to return a kick.

At least with this kid, his speed is unquestioned, and he returned 6 or 7 kicks for tds in florida's class 7A where he was first team all-state.

But personally I'll be surprised if he ever plays a down here.

He's confusing Kobena and Rene.

You may not have been enamored but I know many were with the speed and had pegged him as a kick returner. There have been others also. Hopefully this kid will be able to play and is finally the answer.

Maybe there were a few but I remember many questioning why guys like Rene, Torian Philips and Mario Tull were ever offered in the first place? They lacked D-1 interest and weren't rated high at all. At the time, we concluded it was Marrone trying to reestablish the NYC connection by taking a chance on these b-listers.

That was the Floyd Little 5 TD game, Floyd was pretty fast too.
Forgotten about Floyd. Thanks for reminding me. Also remember watching Jim Nance wrestle. Believe he was NCAA champ as a sophomore. He was one fast dude on the mat.

I wouldn't worry. Isaiah Johnsons school was also a virtual school. He still attended a classroom but the work was done on-line.

"We're glad you asked! Florida Virtual School is a public school but, as you can probably tell, we're not just any public school. We're online. This means no matter where you live you can access more than 120 courses, from Geometry to AP Art History and everything in between. What's more, our courses are just as real as the dedicated, certified teachers who teach them. FLVS is where you go to learn on your time and on your schedule, no matter what kind of student you are. Public, private and homeschooled students, from kindergarten-12th grade, can take our virtual courses whether they live in Florida or not."
So wait. Was his football team a virtual team as well? I mean like Madden or something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom