Etienne returning to Clemson for Senior Year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Etienne returning to Clemson for Senior Year

I would grow to love the NFL life and make new friends for a few million bucks.

And you'd have that right. I am just saying I don't fault the kid for making his choice.

That didn't help Stanford, may want to include the local plumber's union.

Might as well throw in the SU marching band on our side of the field while you are at it 8-8-8 +band.

Word for the wise. If you got a very good deal...watch out. They might cancel your reservation because they can turn around and book it for 3 times rack rate. Not saying it will happen but it could. I would make a backup rez in Greenville JIC.

I'll be up at in NY...haven't committed yet to doing a tailgate there yet.

For My Road Tailgates:
WMU is definite
Wake is highly likely
Pitt is also under consideration

As for Rutgirls...I might supplement but hopefully the local Jersey Cuse fans can take lead. Pork Rolls?
Gotta limit it to about 100 as parking can be an issue there. I'm sure Lexy will bring 100 by herself LOL
What the hell...let's have a 300 person blowout

see you at Western Michigan!

It’s only fair that I post the same as when our kids leave early - we only see a little bit of the picture and the stuff we can’t see isn’t our business

but yeah

That's nuts.

We have guys chasing dreams. They have a guy leaving millions on the table.
Yet, in another thread about a projected first round pick staying while our likely undrafted player leaves we were told by some that it's not at all abnormal.

Please excuse me while I grab a bag of ice for the groin shot our team seems to be taking regularly.

He is crazy. I know its a 2020 NFL Draft with a bunch of good RB's, but he is one of them. He is a borderline 1st round sure thing top of 2nd round pick. To go back and risk injury is nuts. PLUS, at running back getting that 2nd NFL contract (the big payday one) is impossible these days. He is putting more wear and tear on him and putting that off for another year.

Unless Clemson is paying this kid big bucks under the table, he is making a horrible decision.
Even under the table paydays can't compare to first round contracts. He must like school.

Ughhh! It seems like this kid has been there a thousand years running wild through the SU defense.

Now that I think about it, I haven't heard of any nap rooms at NFL practice facilities.

That has to be a reference to something specific that I don't know about... Did something happen while I was sleeping through the national championship game?

That has to be a reference to something specific that I don't know about... Did something happen while I was sleeping through the national championship game?
When Clemson upgraded their football facilities a couple years ago they included nap rooms as part of it.

When Clemson upgraded their football facilities a couple years ago they included nap rooms as part of it.

I see. Yes, quite amusing now that I have the context. Sorry, I know it's always disappointing when you have to explain your jokes to an idiot!

To everyone killing the kid over this decision... I don’t want to hear a peep in the future when you have the inclination to wax poetic about “student athletes” and not paying players and integrity and the value of scholarships and kids these days and all that Jazz. He’s doing what everyone blathers on about: prioritizing school, not being enthralled with money, valuing team and commitments. And he’s stupid for doing so, apparently.

To everyone killing the kid over this decision... I don’t want to hear a peep in the future when you have the inclination to wax poetic about “student athletes” and not paying players and integrity and the value of scholarships and kids these days and all that Jazz. He’s doing what everyone blathers on about: prioritizing school, not being enthralled with money, valuing team and commitments. And he’s stupid for doing so, apparently.
I think most of the people who are criticizing this kid’s decision are the same people who favor paying players, and are okay with diminishing the role of the student athlete. Personally, I don’t see a problem if the kid wants to stay in college. Maybe he wants to be a doctor anyway.

I admire him for his desire to finish his schooling but fear a possible injury is a realistic possibility. Great player! Not sure of his degree progress but seems close enough to graduation that he could finish as a partime/online student and have the best of both worlds. Regardless I wish him the best.

And maybe he’s got a cute friend on campus. Add that to completing a degree and competing for a national championship, not to mention being treated very well on campus. Sounds like a good choice to me.

Respectfully disagree. For most people, the purpose of going to college is to set themselves up for a better future, primarily financially. That usually requires an actual degree but not for an athlete in his position.

If an accounting major was offered a contract worth 5 mil after their junior year I’m pretty sure they would drop out. If they rejected that offer everyone would think they were nuts too.

i'm not sure hes a 1st round pick. its tough as a rb to go early. swift the Georgia kid probably goes 1st round, then after that there may not be another and a couple other backs may be ahead of him such as taylor and dobbins. Etienne might be #4.

i'm not sure hes a 1st round pick. its tough as a rb to go early. swift the Georgia kid probably goes 1st round, then after that there may not be another and a couple other backs may be ahead of him such as taylor and dobbins. Etienne might be #4.

And he's going to be higher on the draft board next year with more mileage on him? That's why it's a silly move. It only makes sense if they're compensating him in some way. It might not be 1st round or even 2nd round money but it's enough to get him to stay another year in school. I'm willing to acknowledge that NFL money is hard to match and he clearly enjoys Clemson but it's also very hard to imagine him turning down an NFL payday if he was simply living like a lowly student. You can have more than one incentive to stay.

And maybe he’s got a cute friend on campus. Add that to completing a degree and competing for a national championship, not to mention being treated very well on campus. Sounds like a good choice to me.

Yeah, no.

If he’s got a SO, then he can be a better partner by starting to earn a living sooner rather than later, and also avoid the injury risk that could completely derail his ability to make $ playing football.

RB’s have a very limited shelf life - he needs to GET PAID while he can, for as long as he can

He already has a Natty.
He may or may not get the chance at another.
He has absolutely nothing left to prove at this level.

There is quite literally almost nothing but downside to this decision.

He can always complete his degree at a later date.
He may not be able to make MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for playing football at a later date.

Didn't Boeheim tell Carmelo he had to go when he was considering staying? I know Zion Wiliamson recently said that he wanted to stay and Coach K said he had to go. Considering he already got hurt, bet he's happy w/ his decision.
I agree that Dabo should have a talk w/ him and go through the pros and cons if he hasn't already. Hard to see his value getting higher.

I would be amazed if Dabo has not already had that discussion with the young man and his family.

Some people like being in college. And some people nevėr find their way back once they leave. I'm surprised he's staying but don't blame him for staying. Only he knows what makes him happy.

He also could have a great year next year and the way the rookie contracts are structured, there is a huge difference between being 15th pick let’s say or 32nd. Lamar Jackson is making $910k this year. It’s an insane scale so having a great year next year could immensely help his contract. Can’t always think he’s gonna get hurt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom