Euro 2020 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Euro 2020

Was surprised to see France give up so much possession. Their defense was rock solid and Germany wasn’t able to break them down to any great degree. Late in the game one of the announcers mentioned that Germany hadn’t had a shot on goal yet. It seemed that Germany was setting up its offense too far from the box allowing France to have 8 defenders between the goal and the ball. France is deadly on the counter attack and when Germany brought defenders forward to help out it opened up space in the back that France was able to exploit. A France England matchup will be a great game to watch if it happens.

I really don't get why Shaqiri is valued so highly anymore. I've seen nothing from him for years since he burst onto the scene originally. He definitely still is a good set piece guy but is a lazy player overall. Lazy passer, and hardly ever wins his 1v1s anymore or even attempts. It's a shame because it's a waste of talent.

The Swiss are in the same WC qualifying group as Italy and they have 2 games to play against each other coming up in the fall so I’m sure we will be seeing a lot more of Shaqiri. I thought the Swiss were dangerous at times but fell short when the Italians threw defense in numbers at them. As well as Italy are playing at the moment (10 games without conceding a goal) I don’t think they have peaked yet and probably won’t until next year just in time for World Cup. Still, Mancini has them playing at a high level and they are exciting to watch. He’s picked players that mirror his own style of play when he was a star in the 80’s and 90’s.

Me: Ok Ukraine your up 2-0 easy win.

ukraine: no we must make this as stressful as possible for you and miss a pen and win 2-1.

Great tournament so far though. Pretty much every game is a solid watch.

The World Cup and the Euro Championship are easily the top two sporting events that exist in my opinion.

Sweden/Slovakia has been a good watch. Although it was a clear-cut penalty I hope the game isn’t decided by a PK. Both teams deserve a point from this match.

Me: Ok Ukraine your up 2-0 easy win.

ukraine: no we must make this as stressful as possible for you and miss a pen and win 2-1.

Great tournament so far though. Pretty much every game is a solid watch.
Fellow Uke here. Would love to see us advance out of the group stages finally.

No skin in this game but that was a cheap PK called on Croatia.

Dejan Louvren got that penalty more on reputation than that contact.

No skin in this game but that was a cheap PK called on Croatia.

Dejan Louvren got that penalty more on reputation than that contact.

Completely agree.

On another note the free kick attempts on goal this tournament have been awful. Usually we get a couple goals off them to enjoy.

While there is certainly a long ways to go until the World Cup, watching the CA and the EC, if the U.S. qualifies and comes into next year in good form there is a legit chance to have their best WC ever. Outside the French and the Italians the Euro teams are not impressive. The South American squads similarly have not been super impressive. It's going to be wide open.

Hard for me to get into Copa America with zero crowds. Especially with the Euro Cup happening simultaneously. Yesterday’s Denmark/Belgium game from Copenhagen was awesome. So was the Hungary/Portugal game from Budapest earlier this week. The crowds have been great - even the smaller ones.

Hard for me to get into Copa America with zero crowds. Especially with the Euro Cup happening simultaneously. Yesterday’s Denmark/Belgium game from Copenhagen was awesome. So was the Hungary/Portugal game from Budapest earlier this week. The crowds have been great - even the smaller ones.
I expect the limited crowd at Wembley are going to make that place sound near-capacity.

Been waiting for England/Scotland all week.

Fellow Uke here. Would love to see us advance out of the group stages finally.
Draw will be enough to finish second ! Austria draws as well they’ll go through as one of best 3rds so I expect a quiet game Monday.

Classic England/Scotland. Chances for both sides. 30 minutes left for either team to get a result.

I’m hoping for late drama.

While there is certainly a long ways to go until the World Cup, watching the CA and the EC, if the U.S. qualifies and comes into next year in good form there is a legit chance to have their best WC ever. Outside the French and the Italians the Euro teams are not impressive. The South American squads similarly have not been super impressive. It's going to be wide open.
I think COVID has wreaked havoc with squads around the World. Many players had the virus and missed training during recovery. US and most of the European countries are on the way back and with high vaccination rates should be at full strength by the time WC rolls in December 2022. Not so sure about the teams from Africa and Central and South America though. Hopefully by then the rest of the world can catch up with the vaccines and the virus is totally under control.

One thing I wish Soccer coverage in North America would get away from is the over analysis on favourites in the tournament. I get it, they are the better teams but let’s say a Wales/Finland/Whatever team did what England did today they get written off for the tournament. I do get England has talent and they can turn it around and Scotland are a fair side but I feel like at least in Canada the coverage is surrounded on England/Germany/France (justifiably) and 2/3 teams there aren’t threatening to me at least.

I’m not sure our analysts know Belgium is the top team in the world right now.

England should have been up like 3-1 after the first half... But scotland had a decent number of chances in the 2nd to steal it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom