Even though I suspected this, it's still a kick in the boys | Syracusefan.com

Even though I suspected this, it's still a kick in the boys

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Uuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Hackett said that the offensive system will remain the same from the past couple of years, the unit will try to present more different formations this season to keep defenses honest. A lot of that is a result of having an experienced quarterback in Ryan Nassib, who is entering his third year as a starter and can read defenses much better.

Here's the rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/35222/checking-in-with-syracuse-oc-nathaniel-hackett

kicked-nuts-record.jpg

So, basically, if what Hackett is saying is true, last year the goal was to be multiple, and this year the goal is to be multiple... er?

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Don't you even start with the "Well, the one variable that hasn't changed is Nassib, maybe once we're relived of that burden Marrone will run the offense he really wants" crap, Millhouse.

I'm still on the bandwagon that says last year's scheme can work. With a healthy group of receivers and RB by committee, we hopefully have the manpower to run it. Add Ashton Broyld to the mix, and you've got something. Now maybe they'll allow Nassib to drop back into shotgun once in a while.

ah yes perfect. Run an almost identical offensive system with a ? offensive line and somehow we will have more offensive ypg than last year.

Uuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Hackett said that the offensive system will remain the same from the past couple of years, the unit will try to present more different formations this season to keep defenses honest. A lot of that is a result of having an experienced quarterback in Ryan Nassib, who is entering his third year as a starter and can read defenses much better.

Here's the rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/35222/checking-in-with-syracuse-oc-nathaniel-hackett

kicked-nuts-record.jpg

So, basically, if what Hackett is saying is true, last year the goal was to be multiple, and this year the goal is to be multiple... er?

Don't you even start with the "Well, the one variable that hasn't changed is Nassib, maybe once we're relived of that burden Marrone will run the offense he really wants" crap, Millhouse.

What were you expecting, 4 wide spread as the base offense?

It's hackett's head that rolls first. He better be super confident in his scheme.

The system itself isn't the problem. Guys in positions to make plays didn't do it consistantly enough. Sometimes the playcalling didn't put anyone in position to make plays. The playcalling and execution has been down right infuriating actually.

ex:
"He's open deep! you have to at least get the ball close!!"
"Oh goooooood... another drive ending fumble"
"The ball hit his hands! Make the ******* catch!!!"
"What kind of **** formation is this? It's 2nd and long why run up the middle?"
"What kind of **** play call was that? It's 1st/2nd and less than 4/goal, why are we passing?!?"

I'm still on the bandwagon that says last year's scheme can work. With a healthy group of receivers and RB by committee, we hopefully have the manpower to run it. Add Ashton Broyld to the mix, and you've got something. Now maybe they'll allow Nassib to drop back into shotgun once in a while.

What's with the shotgun once and a while. They were the gun consistently last year.

Uuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhh.

kicked-nuts-record.jpg

It's true

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Uuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhh.

kicked-nuts-record.jpg

I have no problem with that. Staff clearly thinks the talent/depth is there to execute it better. So no problem.

But if the O doesn't have a healthy jump from last year, break out the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

We just need to execute better, the offensive style will be fine if we do. I don't think we're throwing all those short TE passes because the offense is designed to do so. It's one of the check down receivers, and we just became too comfortable with that safety valve. That can be fixed.

There will be some different looks we throw in there, Hackett mentions it, and others here have hinted at it as well.

In the future we may take more advantage of an athletic QB, but we're not there yet.

I have no problem with that. Staff clearly thinks the talent/depth is there to execute it better. So no problem.

But if the O doesn't have a healthy jump from last year, break out the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
that definition of insanity is weird. It's so common that no one thinks about what a dopey cliche that is. Doing the same thing gives different results all the time, especially in sports.

you guys are completely stupid if you think Marrone is going run the same offense with hunt or broyld. They're spinning nassib's return as they should.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I would just like to hear once that the offense took it to the defense in practice. From the Spring Game on it's always been the defense dominating. Yes, I know that means that the D could be really good, but throw us a bone and give us a glimmer of hope. Obviously things are on Double Secret Probation and they won't alert the media as to the various bells and whistles, but I won't something, damn it!

I'm not worried about this specifically. The only thing I'm worried about is the offensive line giving the rest of the offense enough time to execute. I'll love the offense if it scores, at this point I don't care how "fun" it is. Score and win, they only thing I care about. Actually that's not true, I want to see our defense knock the out of the other team. That's fun to watch too.

I'm definitely in the "wait and see" or "show me" camp. I have yet to see anything offensively the past few years to give me confidence. If this offense takes players a few years to master then it is the wrong offense to use at the collegiate level. I'm not saying that a true freshman needs to be able to play it but a first year starter needs to able to master the offense or it won't work. Every year at least 1/2 the starters will likely be new. This year will be a good test. Nassib is a good QB. If they can't put up a lot of points this year then the offense will need to change...and possibly the coordinator. No reason they shouldn't put up 28+ points regularly. 7 games of 21 or fewer points like last year won't cut it. 28 against Rutgers or Louisville wins those games last year and another 7-5 bowl season would have changed the attitude of many on this board.

I would just like to hear once that the offense took it to the defense in practice. From the Spring Game on it's always been the defense dominating. Yes, I know that means that the D could be really good, but throw us a bone and give us a glimmer of hope. Obviously things are on Double Secret Probation and they won't alert the media as to the various bells and whistles, but I won't something, damn it!
That's not true at all. The offense has played very well this camp. Unfortunately Marcus Sales still is borrowing Clifford Franklin's hands this camp. (But hey it's practice, not a game :rolleyes:)

I haven't heard much at all about the RBs, or the line. The positives I've heard are that Nassib connected on a couple of deep passes and Wales will be a decent replacement. I'm not saying that means that they'll suck, just that I haven't heard much to get excited about.

It's a team game and that includes Hackett and if he or any player made a mistake it is just magnified due to the lack of plays they all didn't make last year along with the defense struggling. Everybody has to improve and execute and the better they execute the more plays and the more we'll see those fancy shmancy plays everyone so dearly loves. Things I think Hackett has to improve on is getting a better feel of what's going on in the field and reading the defenses better and I do believe he is getting better at both. That said, good talent makes coaches look pretty darn good and average or bad talent the opposite.

I don't know what they have schemed but I just want to see an effective offense that can run and pass. If Hackett can get these guys to expose weaknesses on the defenses they face and if the D adjusts go and nail them where they left an opening to fix the exposure. The WV game was a great example, they didn't know what to do with a TE. Now, we have to be able to hit on all cylinders and do that to any team that can't stop a certain attack or if they adjust, Hackett can see that and hit the weakness. I still don't see the O-Line or WR's as being able to do this but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

It's a team game and that includes Hackett and if he or any player made a mistake it is just magnified due to the lack of plays they all didn't make last year along with the defense struggling. Everybody has to improve and execute and the better they execute the more plays and the more we'll see those fancy shmancy plays everyone so dearly loves. Things I think Hackett has to improve on is getting a better feel of what's going on in the field and reading the defenses better and I do believe he is getting better at both. That said, good talent makes coaches look pretty darn good and average or bad talent the opposite.

I don't know what they have schemed but I just want to see an effective offense that can run and pass. If Hackett can get these guys to expose weaknesses on the defenses they face and if the D adjusts go and nail them where they left an opening to fix the exposure. The WV game was a great example, they didn't know what to do with a TE. Now, we have to be able to hit on all cylinders and do that to any team that can't stop a certain attack or if they adjust, Hackett can see that and hit the weakness. I still don't see the O-Line or WR's as being able to do this but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Oh yeah, spread offenses and running QB's, really ing fancy.

Oh yeah, spread offenses and running QB's, really ******* fancy.

That's part of running/throwing the ball, people get so caught up in semantics and labeling things they just can't see beyond that for some reason. We have depth now so things should open things up for all and that includes Nassib. What my basic point is is that the more offensive reps, the more choices of plays.

I think some of this article is coach speak BS. If you have read reports of people watching practice there has been some attempts at changing tempo. The offensive has caught the defense unprepared by rushing to the line a few times. Rhame and guys from Scout have respected Marrone's request to not disclose formations. So who knows if there have been any changes. Marrone holds everything close to the vest, I can't believe he would allow Hackett to discuss changes with ESPN Big East blogger.