Everybody is in the Portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Everybody is in the Portal

A definite upgrade
sad.gif

So many issues with the scenario that has played out.

Players cannot talk to other schools until they are in the portal, but they can have NIL agents who can.

Cases where obvious tampering has taken place are ignored. Pack to Miami who announced his NIL deal the day he announced his transfer. Addison to USC where the value of his NIL deal came out BEFORE he even entered the portal. Lands who decommitted from Syracuse to be rerecruited in the NIL environment.

Bowls held up as a reward and goal for teams, but transfer portal open prior to the first bowls.

Players that have received inducements to transfer but stayed put not going public with the violations, instead being applauded for not succumbing to outright bribes. Zay Flowers and Mikel Jones come to mind. And I would love to see a player who is transferring come out and be honest about the reasons.

This will continue to escalate until the NCAA gets their collective head out of the sand and restores order. In the most extreme, accept that players in revenue sports are employees. Put contracts in place that bind them to their school unless very specific criteria take place. Coaching changes, post season bans, or mutual agreement to release. Repercussions if they leave for other factors.
Allow member institutions to act as brokers/agents for NIL deals. Mandate that all deals are conducted through the school and retain a portion of the payouts to fund a pool of money so every scholarship player in a revenue sport receives a minimum stipend. This could even go into a common pool so that all schools benefit from monster deals at factories.
Allow deals for enrolled players to be contingent on that player remaining in school and eligible to play.
Many other regulations can be put in place to help rein this fiasco in.
I am all for players sharing the rewards of the entertainment they provide. I am all for players having some freedom to move to another school if something changes post commitment/enrollment. But there has to be a better way to operate that does not negatively affect competitive balance and the fan experience.

Rant over.

Reasonable thoughts but since the NCAA has checked out there is no one to enforce anything.

Reasonable thoughts but since the NCAA has checked out there is no one to enforce anything.
I have no hope anything at all will be done. Makes it all the more frustrating as a fan.

If the status quo holds, we should at least go away to the guarantee of a four year scholarship. If players are free to seek a better deal, schools should be free to cut an underperforming player loose and seek a better player for that scholarship. Pendulum has swung way too far as it stands.

I am in the minority, but I view all this transferring as really damaging to the athlete's academic standing. I 100% get that in reality, the NCAA doesn't really care about academics though.

Heck, even working out credits is really tough when transferring. Forget relationships with other students, faculty, advisors, etc...

I am in the minority, but I view all this transferring as really damaging to the athlete's academic standing. I 100% get that in reality, the NCAA doesn't really care about academics though.

Heck, even working out credits is really tough when transferring. Forget relationships with other students, faculty, advisors, etc...
At the bottom of all this I hope we don't lose the student-athlete identity. And, of course, the full cost of attendance should be respected as having more value than the peddling of t-shirts.

I wonder how long it will be until a school passes on recruiting high school players and commits to building a roster out of portal transfers.

Any time you sign a player out of high school your risk losing that player to the portal at any time.

Players out of the portal in some respects are are proven commodity. You’ve at least seen them play at the collegiate level. And, possible most important, they can’t re-enter the portal until they’ve graduated.

Could teams take this route to build a competitive roster?

How much NIL compensation are players at Syracuse earning?

I wonder how long it will be until a school passes on recruiting high school players and commits to building a roster out of portal transfers.

Any time you sign a player out of high school your risk losing that player to the portal at any time.

Players out of the portal in some respects are are proven commodity. You’ve at least seen them play at the collegiate level. And, possible most important, they can’t re-enter the portal until they’ve graduated.

Good points.

After giving it a lot of thought and discussing it with my family, I have decided to enter my name in the transfer portal. I want to thank all the mods and admins for giving me a chance here. It was not an easy decision, but I believe it is the best thing for me. My "delete post" finger will hopefully heal and I will be as good as new soon, ready to start my new mod duties.

I will always treasure my time here, and wish all the posters here (even OburgOrange) the best.

Forever Orange! View attachment 223140
Sorry but I’m just not cool with it. Your leaving us with no depth at administrator, thanks a lot !!!

USC made the blueprint on how to buy/build your team in one year from the portal this year

Wasn’t there a program at the FBS level that did exactly that last year? Thinking UTSA for some reason.

From what I hear, NIL compensation at Syracuse isn’t as bad as some make it out to be, but I wish they were more open about it. There are a handful of players in the high five to six figure range, but nothing like the multi million dollar deals at other places. They can certainly mask the names but to be able to publicize the numbers, maybe in tabular format shows potential recruits that there is an opportunity and may spur the fan base to get more involved.
One of the bigger risks to competitive balance are these blanket deals like NC State saying every scholarship player will get a minimum of $25k annually. How that is not considered a recruiting inducement, and outright $100 k - $125k bribe baffles me. A 3-star offensive lineman now has the choice of going to Syracuse and possibly/probably getting nothing or State and getting $100k+ even if he never plays a down.

So many issues with the scenario that has played out.

Players cannot talk to other schools until they are in the portal, but they can have NIL agents who can.

Cases where obvious tampering has taken place are ignored. Pack to Miami who announced his NIL deal the day he announced his transfer. Addison to USC where the value of his NIL deal came out BEFORE he even entered the portal. Lands who decommitted from Syracuse to be rerecruited in the NIL environment.

Bowls held up as a reward and goal for teams, but transfer portal open prior to the first bowls.

Players that have received inducements to transfer but stayed put not going public with the violations, instead being applauded for not succumbing to outright bribes. Zay Flowers and Mikel Jones come to mind. And I would love to see a player who is transferring come out and be honest about the reasons.

This will continue to escalate until the NCAA gets their collective head out of the sand and restores order. In the most extreme, accept that players in revenue sports are employees. Put contracts in place that bind them to their school unless very specific criteria take place. Coaching changes, post season bans, or mutual agreement to release. Repercussions if they leave for other factors.
Allow member institutions to act as brokers/agents for NIL deals. Mandate that all deals are conducted through the school and retain a portion of the payouts to fund a pool of money so every scholarship player in a revenue sport receives a minimum stipend. This could even go into a common pool so that all schools benefit from monster deals at factories.
Allow deals for enrolled players to be contingent on that player remaining in school and eligible to play.
Many other regulations can be put in place to help rein this fiasco in.
I am all for players sharing the rewards of the entertainment they provide. I am all for players having some freedom to move to another school if something changes post commitment/enrollment. But there has to be a better way to operate that does not negatively affect competitive balance and the fan experience.

Rant over.
Agree, has to be a better system , or at least a bit structured.

I have no hope anything at all will be done. Makes it all the more frustrating as a fan.

If the status quo holds, we should at least go away to the guarantee of a four year scholarship. If players are free to seek a better deal, schools should be free to cut an underperforming player loose and seek a better player for that scholarship. Pendulum has swung way too far as it stands.
Already occurs, and has for awhile. Doug Marrone pushed multiple players out the door.

Already occurs, and has for awhile. Doug Marrone pushed multiple players out the door.
Actually the P5 football conferences now guarantee scholarships for four years. I believe that was put in place in 2017 or 18. Of course you can have "the talk" and tell a player that he is unlikely to ever sniff the field here, but it is ultimately the players decision to move on or accept being a practice player for his full four years.

the best system for the schools, the sport, the players, the fans is the real question.

Actually the P5 football conferences now guarantee scholarships for four years. I believe that was put in place in 2017 or 18. Of course you can have "the talk" and tell a player that he is unlikely to ever sniff the field here, but it is ultimately the players decision to move on or accept being a practice player for his full four years.

You can post all the rules and regulations you want, it does not mean it is not happening.

I was sitting next to a coach, who was still employed by the university as he received phone calls from players crying and from hysterical parents asking why their son was being forced to leave the school. I witnessed it first hand.

Addendum: I skipped over you mentioning that it was put in place in 2017-2018, which obviously was after the fact. My bad.

You can post all the rules and regulations you want, it does not mean it is not happening.

I was sitting next to a coach, who was still employed by the university as he received phone calls from players crying and from hysterical parents asking why their son was being forced to leave the school. I witnessed it first hand.

Addendum: I skipped over you mentioning that it was put in place in 2017-2018, which obviously was after the fact. My bad.
Forgiven.

And unless they are a graduate, they only get one free transfer.

The fact that a school can recruit an older player, who has experience playing at the college level, instead of a kid out of HS is already having an effect on high school recruiting.

The fact that a school can recruit an older player, who has experience playing at the college level, instead of a kid out of HS is already having an effect on high school recruiting.
Not to mention rosters are still clogged with fifth and sixth year players due to the covid allowance while rosters are still capped at 85

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom