Everyone needs to take a second... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Everyone needs to take a second...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was surprised how bad Sid and Chewy looked inside. Pisses me off to lose to uconn, but this is probably the biggest game for them all year. We'll get better. Just sucks to struggle early again.

I dont mean to single you out, because a lot of others said it in a more offensive way, but I wanted to address it finally. If this is true, you'd figure our highly paid staff or hyper-aware fans would make our HOF coach aware of that, and then he would realize he might need to reach down deep and use his HOF skills to do something about that? Come on, I'm just getting tired of this excuse. Am I alone on that?

Sure dis them because we are so better than them.
Not trying to dis them. They play in a lesser conference and we're a big rival for them. Nice win for them. Like someone else said, we played like crap and they had one of those crazy 3 point shooting nights, and we were right there till the end. Sucks to lose to them but not the end of the world.

You know what? Im sick of hearing that. I'm sick of being out hustled and outplayed. Its on JB and its BS. year after year same crap

lol I just basically said the same thing before reading that. Glad to see I am not alone on this!!! Ive been mocking it for a few years now(proud of it, I guess). Winning programs know how to deal with that. Duke deals with it, even before this embarassment of riches season that they currently have.

You know what? Im sick of hearing that. I'm sick of being out hustled and outplayed. Its on JB and its BS. year after year same crap
And every year when we play bad early everybody says relax it's early. These poor performances early are usually an indicator of a rough road ahead and sweating it out on Selection Sunday. I hope this isn't like 2016-17 with all the preseason hype and then we end up playing an 11am Saturday game in the NIT.

At the end of the day, they out-hustled us and still turned it over 20 times... we came in thinking we'd win on 80% effort and let them shoot 60% from 3. It didn't work. After halftime Plan B was see Plan A... Players and coach laid an egg here. It's November, so no big surprise TBH.

Can't imagine what sort of effort we'll put forth in the 4:30pm consolation game tomorrow, but based on today's effort, I think I'll skip it... more fun to be had in NYC than go to that game (especially after the drive looks to be a white knuckler)... writing the tickets off and regrouping for football.

Go listen to JBs presser at around 1:22 then come back here and talk... WOW. Really a team I wanna get behind

I dont mean to single you out, because a lot of others said it in a more offensive way, but I wanted to address it finally. If this is true, you'd figure our highly paid staff or hyper-aware fans would make our HOF coach aware of that, and then he would realize he might need to reach down deep and use his HOF skills to do something about that? Come on, I'm just getting tired of this excuse. Am I alone on that?
I get what your saying, I just think it's not as big a game for us anymore. They are unranked and looking up at us. It's a nice win for them. We play in the best conference in college bball and the further we get away from these old Big East rivals, the less they mean. That's my opinion at least. Uconn and Georgetown sink further in to mediocrity and these games mean less and less. At the end of the year, I'm confident we'll be a high seed in the tourney. I Have no idea where those 2 will be nor do I care.

And every year when we play bad early everybody says relax it's early. These poor performances early are usually an indicator of a rough road ahead and sweating it out on Selection Sunday. I hope this isn't like 2016-17 with all the preseason hype and then we end up playing an 11am Saturday game in the NIT.
The 02-03 season started out with a loss to Memphis. That turned out alright.

The problem is that the Orange let UConn gain a lot of confidence right off the bat.
And then basically played about 4 strong minutes...from the under 8 timeout in the second half to the under 4 timeout with 3:53 left.
They cut a 13 point deficit to 4. T
Then they immediately gave up another 3 and another interior layup.

Have to give UConn credit.
Hurley has them playing their game and playing hard.
They beat SU everywhere except in the turnover department.
How badly the Orange were outplayed is illustrated by the fact UConn committed 20 turnovers and still won.

One more point.
People say UConn going 12 of 21 on 3 pointers is a fluke.
Maybe.
But they were wide open shots.
If your opponent is hitting them then you'd better defend them.
The Orange didn't.

Gotta come ready to play, but it's a good sign that we almost pulled out the win without a PG on the court the whole game. The most concerning thing to me was the lack of energy and leadership. That has to change, hopefully with Frank.

Thought Carey played well considering what he was up against. UConn's guards, as we knew, are no joke. I actually think he should have more aggressively looked for his own shot from the get go. That will come with experience.

Battle was meh. Brissett was bad.

Liked the 'small' lineup with Marek.

Idk, that's all I've got. UConn had to drop a Herculean 3-point performance to beat our C- game. I'm okay with that.

You are ok with a loss to a less talented and experienced UCONN team?

Frank ain’t Pearl. Goodness.

The problem is that the Orange let UConn gain a lot of confidence right off the bat.
And then basically played about 4 strong minutes...from the under 8 timeout in the second half to the under 4 timeout with 3:53 left.
They cut a 13 point deficit to 4. T
Then they immediately gave up another 3 and another interior layup.

Have to give UConn credit.
Hurley has them playing their game and playing hard.
They beat SU everywhere except in the turnover department.
How badly the Orange were outplayed is illustrated by the fact UConn committed 20 turnovers and still won.

One more point.
People say UConn going 12 of 21 on 3 pointers is a fluke.
Maybe.
But they were wide open shots.
If your opponent is hitting them then you'd better defend them.
The Orange didn't.
They werent all wide open. The ones at the end were pretty well defended

I am more pissed we haven’t been able to recruit a big who could post and score since Rick Jackson in 2011.
I mean how can we go from 2012- till now and not have a big who can post.
That is so frustrating. Watch the best teams in college.
Biggest problem is Sadibe can score but them pull them both out for pick and rolls that don’t work. Kills me. Sadibe has a pretty good back to basket. God forbid if they passed it to him.

Biggest problem is Sadibe can score but them pull them both out for pick and rolls that don’t work. Kills me. Sadibe has a pretty good back to basket. God forbid if they passed it to him.
If Sidibe can post and we don’t try it then it is coaching. However I want to hope JB knows he can’t do it well so he isn’t.
I don’t think JB is dumb I just think he is stubborn for the type of players he recruits.

If Sidibe can post and we don’t try it then it is coaching. However I want to hope JB knows he can’t do it well so he isn’t.
I don’t think JB is dumb I just think he is stubborn for the type of players he recruits.
I agree. But he did it well last year when he wasn’t hurting. After Pitt game everyone thought he was next Christmas back to basket wise. He could always kick ball back out or we could actually pass to post, then cut to basket and he could pass to cutter and it would almost be like a set play. Lol.

Frank isn't Pearl. But you don't think there is a huge difference between a 5th year senior PG and a true freshman scoring guard? Jalen got buckets, but probably to the detriment of the rest of the offense. Thank god he did, but this game swings 20 points in the other direction with Frank on the court.

We lost you Rutgers the year we won the National Title and we lost to a terrible Villanova team when we went to the FF in 2013. This board is overreacting like usual.

We lost you Rutgers the year we won the National Title and we lost to a terrible Villanova team when we went to the FF in 2013. This board is overreacting like usual.

Wait...you mean Brissett isn’t going to shoot 20% this season? The opponents aren’t all going to make over half of their 3’s?

I’m trying to figure out how last night was even close given how they outshot us, outrebounded us, and outhustled us.

The answer is the turnovers. We had a lot at the beginning. They had a lot all game. If Jalen had his sea legs from the beginning, we probably win that one despite all those issues.

20 turnovers is why it was a good game not a bad one.. the D also had about 6-7 others that deflected back to them

just because they shot Curry crazy is not because we didnt play ok

They played poorly. I didn't see any close outs and guys were out of position in the zone. Tyus was bad on both ends of the floor as was Oshae. Has nothing to do with "Steph Curry" shots. They were simply out hustled.

I don't think the take on last night's game is an overreaction. With quality of opponent remaining on the non-conference schedule including Oregon this afternoon, it is a stretch to say they will win 20 games with how they played last night. They need to start clicking and fast. You need good wins in the OOC to get in on Selection Sunday.

They played poorly. I didn't see any close outs and guys were out of position in the zone. Tyus was bad on both ends of the floor as was Oshae. Has nothing to do with "Steph Curry" shots. They were simply out hustled.

I don't think the take on last night's game is an overreaction. With quality of opponent remaining on the non-conference schedule including Oregon this afternoon, it is a stretch to say they will win 20 games with how they played last night. They need to start clicking and fast. You need good wins in the OOC to get in on Selection Sunday.

I'll bet anyone who says we won't win 20 and won't be top 5 in the ACC. The board is overreacting.

Team have garbage losses every year and the good thing is we lost without Frank which the committee takes into account.

Morning after. Deep breath. Here's what I am hoping to see moving forward
1- Less hero ball. Hoping having our starting PG will help encourage distribution. Not just from him, but from his example.
2- More activity in the zone. When the zone relaxes it rarely works. When it is active it is very effective
3- More movement on offense. More help, more cuts without the ball, more picks.
4- More variation on D, and more willingness to adjust to the situation. More pressing when we need a spark, more pressing of the shooters when they are on fire (maybe even playing triangle-2 for a couple series (which is like 80% of a 2-3 zone) just to get the shooters off their game
5- More leadership from Battle and Brissett. These guys need to lead this team.

We can’t help ourselves. Always slow sloppy early season games for us and Big Bang finish in tourney.

UConn beats any team shooting like that.

Lessons learned, move on.

I'll bet anyone who says we won't win 20 and won't be top 5 in the ACC. The board is overreacting.

Team have garbage losses every year and the good thing is we lost without Frank which the committee takes into account.

Frank was not the reason they lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors