Everyone's favorite topic Uniforms | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Everyone's favorite topic Uniforms

I didn't like the block S initially, but this last final four it did seem to be a pretty ingrained brand image.

yes I agree. The plain helmet with just the stripes was a unique look that was identifiable. They can put the S on parts of the uniform.
Identifiable in the 80's sure. If you showed that look to casual SU fans I bet they wouldn't even identify it with SU now. Non-SU fans? Forget about it.

Identifiable in the 80's sure. If you showed that look to casual SU fans I bet they wouldn't even identify it with SU now. Non-SU fans? Forget about it.
Yup. That's why I said was. Wasn't thinking now. That ship has sailed. I was thinking of when I was a kid. I instantly new it was SU or the Browns. lol The look was recognized up until the late 90's. I would want the plain helmet now because I think its sharp and because other schools have the S.

Last edited:
Yes they were very "unique." Without cheating can you tell me which is SU's and which is the Cleveland Browns?

A.
images

B.
View attachment 60226

Just saying.
Yup, A for sure, with this helmet and a uniform style that is up to date but have some similarities to past uniforms would be the way to go. Im still holding out for a orange jersey with white numbers and white pants.

That "classy" logo has long been used by several other teams... Stanford and Sparty first come to mind. The block font is used everywhere - nothing distinctive about it. The Syracuse "S" is nothing more than recycled material.

Yeah , lets forget the orange block S and go back to this non-recycled material that nobody has below, which do you think works better?
syracuse-logo.gif

Yeah , lets forget the orange block S and go back to this non-recycled material that nobody has below, which do you think works better?
syracuse-logo.gif
You're missing the point. We don't need a logo, but if we do it should be nowhere near the helmet.

FrancoPizza said:
You're missing the point. We don't need a logo, but if we do it should be nowhere near the helmet.

We didn't have a logo to put on the helmet. The classic look was by default. I love that look because it reminds me of when we were good and I started following Syracuse football. We have a logo now and it makes sense to put it on the helmet.

So the university doesn't need a logo or just the football team? Basketball and every other team has a logo and has had one for years. That is the thing about branding, it is usually pretty uniform...or should the basketball team run around with orange helmets with blue and white stripes on them...

Or maybe we should put the solid Orange helmet with white and blue stripes on every sports team's uniform instead of a logo.

You are also aware that 99.9% of all football teams have a logo on their helmets right? There are only a few that don't and one of which is Penn State, let's not be like them.

Last edited:
So the university doesn't need a logo or just the football team? Basketball and every other team has a logo and has had one for years. That is the thing about branding, it is usually pretty uniform...or should the basketball team run around with orange helmets with blue and white stripes on them...

Or maybe we should put the solid Orange helmet with white and blue stripes on every sports team's uniform instead of a logo.

You are also aware that 99.9% of all football teams have a logo on their helmets right? There are only a few that don't and one of which is Penn State, let's not be like them.

Why would we want to build an identifiable tradition? If you don't have a logo on your helmet, how the hell will people know who you are?

michiganspeedmini3002075.png

alabama15speedpl8004622.png

notre_dame_hyrdrofx_speed_mini_3002094.png

ohiostatespeedmini3002096.png

SU2NASA said:
Why would we want to build an identifiable tradition? If you don't have a logo on your helmet, how the hell will people know who you are?

Using the most identifiable programs is to not understand branding at all. They are the exception to the rule. (It also goes without saying that removing your logo does not equal more wins.)

Winning over time > logo on helmet

Unfortunately we haven't won over time like those programs.

Are you comparing Syracuse to 4 of the largest most identifiable football brands in the entire country?

Those 4 teams need nothing to identified. Even a casual sports fan today can identify those teams by their helmets. If you show 10 people the SU solid orange helmet with blue and white stripes, at least 9 of them wouldn't have a clue.

Terrible examples.

You could easily argue that the helmet designs themselves are logos for Meeshigan (who stole it from Princeton back in the day), thatOSU, and ND since all their teams/players that wear helmets use that design. As someone who grew up during the 60s in the northeast, I remember your orange helmets which would be fine to use as well. An orange and blue version of Bama's helmet?

Are you comparing Syracuse to 4 of the largest most identifiable football brands in the entire country?

Those 4 teams need nothing to identified. Even a casual sports fan today can identify those teams by their helmets. If you show 10 people the SU solid orange helmet with blue and white stripes, at least 9 of them wouldn't have a clue.

Terrible examples.

Yep.

Do you know what's made those helmets iconic? Keeping them the same. It's built their brand. More people than you realize knew us by our orange blue-white-blue striped helmets. But we pissed it all away.

Somehow these guys have a helmet that's easily identifiable for their program.

bostoncollegespeedmini3002034.png

SU2NASA said:
Yep. Do you know what's made those helmets iconic? Keeping them the same. Somehow these guys have a helmet that's easily identifiable for their program.

To Syracuse fans.

Exactly what I am thinking every time I see that logo...makes me insane.
even if you ignore the SJ, it makes me nuts that parts of the S are different widths and lengths

they shaved off part of the bottom right portion of the S to preserve white space instead of just making the U a little wider.

it's just unbelievably terrible. they decided the S and the U/J needed to be the same width and they decided the points of the S and U/J needed to line up which led to the dumbest looking S anyone's ever seen

SU2NASA said:
As a Syracuse fan, I don't even recognize who they are with the Arena league crap they wear now.

I call BS.

If you miss the S block logo and don't associate it with Syracuse after a decade then I'm not sure you've been actually following Syracuse sports.

Yep.

Do you know what's made those helmets iconic? Keeping them the same. It's built their brand. More people than you realize knew us by our orange blue-white-blue striped helmets. But we pissed it all away.

BC? FSU? Some small D2 school?

Winning cures all. These helmets are recognized because the teams win and have tradition associated with that winning - not because the helmets are aesthetically pleasing. Otherwise, you could very well list Delaware, Princeton, Georgia Southern, Wofford, Bryant, Army, BC, etc. There are LOTS of schools that have these designs and have long histories but simply don't have the winning tradition and national prominence. Personally, I am glad Cuse ditched the Cleveland Brown rip-offs (who had them before we did)... and I am a fan since the 1970s.

Yep.

I doubt if you showed this to other conferences' casual fans and asked them whose helmet it was they'd get it.

I doubt if you showed this to other conferences' casual fans and asked them whose helmet it was they'd get it.

None of it matters anyway, the university has already pissed all over any semblance of tradition we have.

But hey, we have stripes slanted at 44 degree angles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom