Excited for 18-19 | Syracusefan.com

Excited for 18-19

DirtDog44

Walk On
For the first time in a while we should have a team that should be top 15 and squarely OFF the bubble for the first time in many years. A few reasons...many of our best defenders are coming back so our defensive prowess should be in effect and #2, our offense should be much improved.

Great roster, great depth. The below assumes Battle is gone and Boeheim potentially redshirts.

PG- Frank Howard- 32 mins pg, Howard Washington 8 mins pg
SG- Jalen Carey- 25 mins pg, Elijah Hughes 15 mins pg at the 2...could move to the 3.
PF- Darius Bazley- 30 mpg, Matt Moyer 10 mpg
SF- Oshae Brissett - 28 mpg, Markek Dolejaz 12mpg
C- Bourama Sidibe 25 mpg, Pascal Chukwu 15 mpg - could flip flop depending on who is playing better.

Overall we will have a combo of solid offense and good defense. Obviously Bazley and Carey are ? on the defensive end but from all videos and commentary I've seen they are committed to the defensive side of the ball.

I'm looking at a 23-10 type of regular season at worst...a 27-6 season at best. Thoughts?

Between Baz, Brissett, Hughes being able to stretch to the 3 potentially and Moyer physical superiority... id be surprised if Marek saw more than 4 or 5 mins a game.

I see the money lineup being

Frank
Hughes
Bazely
Brisset
Sidibe

Carey being interchangable for frank and hughes.

Moyer seeing limited time at the 4.

Marek limited time at the 3 and 4.

HW will really have to make a push for minutes at the 1. Frank should be a stud, carey will surely get run at the 1 as well.

Buddy could carve out spot mins at the 2 or 3 but unlikely imo.

PC will split with Sidibe, especially if sidibe can give limited mins on the wing.

For the first time in a while we should have a team that should be top 15 and squarely OFF the bubble for the first time in many years. A few reasons...many of our best defenders are coming back so our defensive prowess should be in effect and #2, our offense should be much improved.

Great roster, great depth. The below assumes Battle is gone and Boeheim potentially redshirts.

PG- Frank Howard- 32 mins pg, Howard Washington 8 mins pg
SG- Jalen Carey- 25 mins pg, Elijah Hughes 15 mins pg at the 2...could move to the 3.
PF- Darius Bazley- 30 mpg, Matt Moyer 10 mpg
SF- Oshae Brissett - 28 mpg, Markek Dolejaz 12mpg
C- Bourama Sidibe 25 mpg, Pascal Chukwu 15 mpg - could flip flop depending on who is playing better.

Overall we will have a combo of solid offense and good defense. Obviously Bazley and Carey are ? on the defensive end but from all videos and commentary I've seen they are committed to the defensive side of the ball.

I'm looking at a 23-10 type of regular season at worst...a 27-6 season at best. Thoughts?

Once again, somebody estimating that "next year" nine guys will get 10 or more mpg. Happens almost every year about this time. And 12 months later the endless complaints about JB going only 7 or 7.5 deep, and playing 3 guys 30+ a game. As one of the venerable posters use to say; Wash. rinse, repeat.

Our starters im guessing will be

Frank
Carey
Baz
Brissett
Sidibe

Pc
Hughes
Each receive significant pt, atleast to start.

Moyer, Marek, HW each have an opportunity to earn playing time but need to show significant improvement that I feel they’re each capable of. However, there’s never guarentees.

Guys, Hughes starts in front of Carey next year. Jb has said that Hughes is a NBA player. He has been in the program for a year. I also think Howard Washington is going to have a hard time getting playing time.

Howard 34
Hughes 30
Baz 35
Brissett 34
72 15-20

Carey spelling the guards
Sidibe splitting it up with Chuk
And Moyer and Marek spelling the forwards.
Washington, don't think he plays much at all.

Buddy red shirts
Think one Moyer or Marek could leave due to lack of playing time.

Really don't see any minutes opening at the 3 or 4 outside of injury.

i'm excited for the rest of this season & expect us to be comfortably off the bubble when all is said & done
It is January 29, right? This has to be the earliest projected minutes thread in board history. Maybe we can do a projected points thread next week and someone's predictions can add up to 110.

I don't know anything about Hughes for anyone who knows his game what kind of player are we looking at.

I think Howards minutes go down,, JB tries to keep more tempo up and with 2-3 other guards he will tolerate less mistakes from a SR.

Who was the last scholarship player to come in and redshirt their first season? I keep seeing that with Buddy but I don't think we've had a straight up redshirt for a while. I could be mistaken. A guy like Moyer get injured and then redshirted. I remember people saying Lydon would for sure be a redshirt to put on weight.

Who was the last scholarship player to come in and redshirt their first season? I keep seeing that with Buddy but I don't think we've had a straight up redshirt for a while. I could be mistaken. A guy like Moyer get injured and then redshirted. I remember people saying Lydon would for sure be a redshirt to put on weight.
A healthy Cooney redshirted as a freshman behind Scoop/Triche/Waiters/MCW in the 11-12 season.

Cooney.

Moyer didn't redshirt because he was injured, he redshirted because he wasn't ready.

Moyer didn't redshirt because he was injured, he redshirted because he wasn't ready.
Yeah, he was hurt preseason and then it was said he wasn’t ready because he missed practice time. I think we all see the truth. Just imagine where he’d be if he didn’t take that year? Wow...

I am excited to make the tournament this year and SHOCK THE FREAKING NATION BABY ;)

I don't know anything about Hughes for anyone who knows his game what kind of player are we looking at.

Hughes is a terrific athlete who is more muscular than our usual swingmen.
But he didn't shoot very well at all at ECU.
For that reason, I don't think Buddy redshirts.

If Battle isn't in the mock drafts and does poorly at the pre-draft workouts, it might not be the worst thing in the world for him to come back. He could work on that hitch in his shot over the summer, and he could be part of a Final Four contender.

Say what you want, but players from lesser teams do not get drafted nearly as often as players from successful teams.

Hughes is a terrific athlete who is more muscular than our usual swingmen.
But he didn't shoot very well at all at ECU.
So he's another Paul Harris? Hopefully without the thruway baggage.

i'm excited for the rest of this season & expect us to be comfortably off the bubble when all is said & done
I was with you on this until the injuries to Howard Washington and Moyer. While both weren’t huge contributors, they were steadily improving and we def needed the depth they provided. With Moyer possibly out for 2-3 weeks and Washington possibly done for the season, I’m tempering my outlook for our NCAA tourney chances. (My feeling before was 9-9 or 10-8 in the ACC.) I think we can still contend, but we may not have the depth to pull out a couple of needed upsets and win most of our home games. Hopefully Sid’s tendinitis doesn’t flare up and we get Moyer back sooner rather than later. We can’t buy a break this season!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom