Expansion | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Expansion

(The thread has been removed from the N'western message board)

Read that again. Sure, it didn't happen, just like SU to the ACC didn't happen in the end. But if it was all hooey then why was Delaney upset about the "leak" and admonished his staff?

Nobody knows exactly what is going to happen, but I'll keep reading that guy because somehow he is about as close to it as can be. Better than Frank the Tank.

He claims that ESPN attorneys contacted the B10 regarding the content of his post. If true, the most interesting/concerning thing about this is ESPN using it's influence to shape college sports in a way most beneficial to themselves. Aren't journalists not supposed to involve themselves in the events they cover?

It's funny how many people are saying this and that about "dealbreakers" and "non-starters" for different parties when the fact is these "non-negotiable" points are all starting points in discussions. When we're talking about survival of conferences or athletic programs, everything is on the table. I don't think any party involved in this mess is not willing to give on certain points in order to greatly improve their long-term prospects.

For example, I think it's naive to think that Texas and the B10 can't come to an agreement on future network arrangements that are mutually acceptable in order to add them to the conference just because UT has stated they won't share revenues or that the B10 won't allow individual networks. The NW post laid out roughly how this could go down.

Anyone know when the current Big XII contract ends? Not the TV contract, the Big XII conference contract between member schools?

Anyone know when the current Big XII contract ends? Not the TV contract, the Big XII conference contract between member schools?

I believe their charter is renewed once a year. However, each time it's renewed, it's stated the schools must give 2-year notice of departure. I could be wrong about this, but I do have a copy of their bylaws on my hard drive and I'll check to see if it specifies the term.

Edit: I checked the bylaws. The copy I have is about 5 years old, but it does appear the bylaws are renewed annually by each institution. The copy isn't a complete copy, but it specifies each member agrees the charter is binding for the "current term" and an "additional term" which seems to be renewed annually. So it seems each time a school signs, it's binding itself for two years.

If the Longhorn Network does indeed merge with the Big Ten Network in 2014, how exactly do you merge one network owned by ESPN with another owned by Fox?

If the Longhorn Network does indeed merge with the Big Ten Network in 2014, how exactly do you merge one network owned by ESPN with another owned by Fox?

The contract with ESPN specifies that it can be voided by Texas if they leave for another conference. The only stipulation is that ESPN must receive a 60-day exclusive negotiation window. So actually it's most definitely true that the LHN could be merged with another network.

See: http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/UT-can-pull-plug-on-Longhorn-Network-2158320.php

Here is the contract in its entirety if you want to read it for yourself.

everything and everyone...has their price.

The contract with ESPN specifies that it can be voided by Texas if they leave for another conference. The only stipulation is that ESPN must receive a 60-day exclusive negotiation window. So actually it's most definitely true that the LHN could be merged with another network.

See: http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/UT-can-pull-plug-on-Longhorn-Network-2158320.php

Here is the contract in its entirety if you want to read it for yourself.

Thanks for the article. If Texas walked away from the LHN on those grounds, there would be no network to merge then.

Thanks for the article. If Texas walked away from the LHN on those grounds, there would be no network to merge then.

They'd be voiding the contract, but they retain rights to the network. Think of how the contract is structured: it's technically Texas as the rights holder and ESPN is paying Texas for the rights to distribute the network. If the contract is voided, Texas then has all rights reverted to them to re-distribute the network.

again, nobody knows what the f they are talking about.. some people have decent ideas and claim BS sources because they know a guy or a booster on the "inside"

It's so ridiculous, then they always include the disclaimer that it's fluid, etc. I understand that things change but I think this is the worst case of internet BS ever

Nah, I'm more of amazed by the complete lack of logic and reason out there, even to things staring people in the face.

You are correct that 2 are still in play, along with about 10 others.

People need to throw logic out the window. Geography ain't what she used to be, academic affiliations, private vs. public, etc. Start thinking with your wallet.

again, nobody knows what the f they are talking about.. some people have decent ideas and claim BS sources because they know a guy or a booster on the "inside"

It's so ridiculous, then they always include the disclaimer that it's fluid, etc. I understand that things change but I think this is the worst case of internet BS ever

I wouldn't be so sure about this...people know a lot more than you think (I am not one of those people in full disclaimer). Think of expansion as one expensive a$$ hand of no limit poker, and the schools are the cards.

Texas and ND are aces...SU is probably a jack.

even if we could believe the insider booster moles, the insider booster moles don't know what the hell they're talking about either. there's nobody on earth that knows what's going to happen.

someone should do some intrade prediction market bets on this stuff. best way to aggregate the knowledge and separate the bs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom