Expansion | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Expansion

The possibility of Texas to the B10 with their network is possible via the B10 agreeing with them that they they couldn't share in the B10 network revenue. Things can be negotiated. Never say never. It is also possible they merge the networks.
The possibility of Texas to the B10 with their network is possible via the B10 agreeing with them that they they couldn't share in the B10 network revenue. Things can be negotiated. Never say never. It is also possible they merge the networks.

Texas wants unequal revenue sharing, again, non-starter no matter how you want to look at it. This is why the whole Texas to the Big Ten idea has been pretty much thrown away. Even the talking heads have figured it out.

Texas wants unequal revenue sharing, again, non-starter no matter how you want to look at it. This is why the whole Texas to the Big Ten idea has been pretty much thrown away. Even the talking heads have figured it out.

I hear your opinion but I will maintain that Texas to the B10 is a viable option.

I hear your opinion but I will maintain that Texas to the B10 is a viable option.

If OU manages to get out and go to Pac 12, what happens with Texas will be fascinating. Do they stick with their guns, their Longhorn Network, their desire to never be in an equal share conference, and therefore play a schedule that could continue to destroy some long standing rivalries that their fanbase holds sacred? Or do they back off, take equal share, and stay in a much more interesting conference than whatever B12 they could cobble together without OU and Okie State.

I would guess right now their position is to make some concessions, hopefully minimal, but whatever keeps the B12 around.

I agree with Bees, if Texas opts to put their eggs in their own network and sign off of profit sharing for the Big 10, and Big 10 allows them to do so, then it could happen. All sorts of way to skin a cat. This is what I hate about this, people talking opinion as absolute. who knows what is going on

If OU manages to get out and go to Pac 12, what happens with Texas will be fascinating. Do they stick with their guns, their Longhorn Network, their desire to never be in an equal share conference, and therefore play a schedule that could continue to destroy some long standing rivalries that their fanbase holds sacred? Or do they back off, take equal share, and stay in a much more interesting conference than whatever B12 they could cobble together without OU and Okie State.

I would guess right now their position is to make some concessions, hopefully minimal, but whatever keeps the B12 around.

Could be a scenario where they keep the network for some period of time while not sharing in the BTN and then the 2 merging for an even bigger TV deal. If in fact we are to believe there will be super conferences, they have to land someplace. The Pac10 is the most adamant about no team networks. The SEC/ACC are non starters IMO so that leaves the B10.

I think this whole thing gets slowed down and that more people will work together to get to the end game in a couple years vs the every man/conference for himself mentality the past couple years.

Could be a scenario where they keep the network for some period of time while not sharing in the BTN and then the 2 merging for an even bigger TV deal. If in fact we are to believe there will be super conferences, they have to land someplace. The Pac10 is the most adamant about no team networks. The SEC/ACC are non starters IMO so that leaves the B10.

I think this whole thing gets slowed down and that more people will work together to get to the end game in a couple years vs the every man/conference for himself mentality the past couple years.
Bees, are you aware that a Northwestern insider is posting that very scenario with UT and ND going to the Big Ten if the Big Ten agrees to certain stipulations.

agree bees, I dont think the dominoes are going to fall anywhere near as quickly as people believe, IMO

Bees, are you aware that a Northwestern insider is posting that very scenario with UT and ND going to the Big Ten if the Big Ten agrees to certain stipulations.

Found it. Before anyone asks who this guy is, he is well trusted by a lot of people. He was on the Nebraska B10 move days before anyone. Many think this guy works in the B10 offices or is the NW rep to the B10 and there were rumors last year that the guy was investigated by one of the schools trying to find out who he was. Whether he is dead on or not, he is a very good read. Thanks sabach. I had forgotten all about this guy on the NW board.

http://northwestern./showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=162506546&mid=162506546&sid=901&style=2

I agree with Bees, if Texas opts to put their eggs in their own network and sign off of profit sharing for the Big 10, and Big 10 allows them to do so, then it could happen. All sorts of way to skin a cat. This is what I hate about this, people talking opinion as absolute. who knows what is going on

I would be surprised if the Big Ten would allow such an arrangement. One of the reasons the Big Ten has been both successful and stable is the all for one, one for all mentality of the conference members. It would be a huge concession on the part of the Big Ten schools to allow one school, and a new school at that, to receive special treatment. Also, if I was one of the minor schools, I would be concerned that allowing Texas to opt out of the BTN, it would set a precedent for Ohio State or Michigan or Penn State to do the same.

The other problem I see by allowing Texas to keep the LHN within the Big Ten is that it defeats a major benefit of bringing Texas into the fold - growing the revenues of the BTN.

I do think Texas going to the Big Ten is a possibility, but think it would require Texas relinquishing control of the LHN. Otherwise, the heads of all of the Michigan alums would explode if they another school in more important than theirs. :)

Found it. Before anyone asks who this guy is, he is well trusted by a lot of people. He was on the Nebraska B10 move days before anyone. Many think this guy works in the B10 offices or is the NW rep to the B10 and there were rumors last year that the guy was investigated by one of the schools trying to find out who he was. Whether he is dead on or not, he is a very good read. Thanks sabach. I had forgotten all about this guy on the NW board.

http://northwestern./showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=162506546&mid=162506546&sid=901&style=2

thats the motherload right there bees.

aTm is 1 pillar of this round of expansion, we all know that. and while everything else (including this nw board post) is just rumours,we may have just read about another expansion pillar.
:noidea:

on a side note, imagine if we never left rivals, our 'shields would say 130+months a member' and the post count would be pushing 500k.
:eek:

:rolling:

It's amazing how much leverage Texas has, and yet they have been unsuccessful at enticing teams to stay/move to the B12.

Did they maintain that postion during talks with the B10 &/or Pac10 when the expansions that ended up with Nebraska, Colorado, & Utah were being discussed?

If so, maybe it is a dealbreaker. However, they may be willing to negotiate since their current conference is running out of members.

If not, it seems much more feasible that they'd share with the B10 that is composed of schools (and an existing network) that are pulling in much more revenue than their B12 counterparts.

That same Northwestern "insider" reported Missouri to the Big Ten last year was a done deal and would be announced. So yeah, there's that.

The Big Ten will not agree to "stipulations". Zero-point-zero percent chance. Go ask Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Penn State if they'll give anyone else a sweetheart deal. Then ask Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois how they feel about the Big Ten going to unequal revenue sharing. Remember, it was this very reason that Nebraska left last year.

The only way Texas could ever join the Big Ten is if they agree to the Big Ten's current model, which isn't going to happen.

The only place that is reasonable for them to move to outside of the Big-12 is the Pac-12 who is open to negotiate.

That same Northwestern "insider" reported Missouri to the Big Ten last year was a done deal and would be announced. So yeah, there's that.

The Big Ten will not agree to "stipulations". Zero-point-zero percent chance. Go ask Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Penn State if they'll give anyone else a sweetheart deal. Then ask Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois how they feel about the Big Ten going to unequal revenue sharing. Remember, it was this very reason that Nebraska left last year.

The only way Texas could ever join the Big Ten is if they agree to the Big Ten's current model, which isn't going to happen.

The only place that is reasonable for them to move to outside of the Big-12 is the Pac-12 who is open to negotiate.

He said Nebraska and Missouri were done deals. So he was 50/50 but he said it long before anyone else even had a sniff. So he knows someone. Also, if you read his post linked above, do you think he completely fabricated what Texas and ND are doing? I believe it but I also could believe that Texas is doing it with other motives in mind. You should also read what Kyle Lamb says in another thread. He's pretty good with this stuff also.

Did they maintain that postion during talks with the B10 &/or Pac10 when the expansions that ended up with Nebraska, Colorado, & Utah were being discussed?

If so, maybe it is a dealbreaker. However, they may be willing to negotiate since their current conference is running out of members.

If not, it seems much more feasible that they'd share with the B10 that is composed of schools (and an existing network) that are pulling in much more revenue than their B12 counterparts.

They did with the Big Ten which is why it died. The Pac-10 was willing to negotiate, and still is, but the current thought is that since ESPN owns the LHN and the soon Pac-12 Network, that the LHN could be brought into the Pac-12 Network model. The Pac-12 also has equal revenue sharing now, but the belief is that they're willing to cut a deal to Texas.

He said Nebraska and Missouri were done deals. So he was 50/50 but he said it long before anyone else even had a sniff. So he knows someone. Also, if you read his post linked above, do you think he completely fabricated what Texas and ND are doing? I believe it but I also could believe that Texas is doing it with other motives in mind. You should also read what Kyle Lamb says in another thread. He's pretty good with this stuff also.

The others he said were Texas and Notre Dame last May, so yeah, one out of four he reported as "done deals".

The others he said were Texas and Notre Dame last May, so yeah, one out of four he reported as "done deals".

you seem a little upset with this.

are you a mouth piece for espns agenda to send texas to pac12??

seems to me, of his 4...1 is in and 2 are still in play. and b10 always maintained they werent done, just taking a break.

Don't ever remember that. I do remember him saying ND was talking to the B10 and they were. ND even admitted that.

Your first mistake is listening to the talking heads. If you haven't figured out by now, you need to realize they have either A) an agenda or B) are being spoonfed propaganda.

They're going to tell you what they want to tell you or what someone else wants them to tell you.

So now that we have that out of the way (don't listen to the mainstream media), I need to caution you against dismissing the Texas-ND scenario for the Big Ten. Not only is it alive and well (and has been for 18 months) but the lowest common denominator of acceptable terms for Texas & the Big Ten is not what you anticipate it being.

There have been many discussions about the network, one of which allows Texas to keep the LHN and not take part in the BTN. All other revenues would be split equally.

In the aforementioned scenario, Texas could have tier 2 rights to broadcast their non-conference games on the network, but conference games would continue to be broadcast on the Big Ten Network. This means Texas fans in the state could see their games on the LHN where Texas profits, but Big Ten fans can continue seeing the game on the Big Ten Network. All parties benefit. While this may not be the final method, it's one option that's been discussed by all parties.

Don't ever remember that. I do remember him saying ND was talking to the B10 and they were. ND even admitted that.

They've been talking to the Big Ten since the 80's. The Big Ten offered them when they offered Penn State in the 90's, and again in the 2000's.

you seem a little upset with this.

are you a mouth piece for espns agenda to send texas to pac12??

seems to me, of his 4...1 is in and 2 are still in play. and b10 always maintained they werent done, just taking a break.

Nah, I'm more of amazed by the complete lack of logic and reason out there, even to things staring people in the face.

You are correct that 2 are still in play, along with about 10 others.

They've been talking to the Big Ten since the 80's. The Big Ten offered them when they offered Penn State in the 90's, and again in the 2000's.

Don't disagree with that at all. But I meant they were in talk talks with them when the B10 was openly looking to expand last year.

" But no one would have suspected that football powerhouses Texas, Nebraska, and Notre Dame would all be signing on. But that’s how it looks. Apparently Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delaney was genuinely upset over the leak, and admonished his staff accordingly."

"Follow the link below to the thread where the leak took place. Details are inside with regard to the alignments, scheduling, and most of the other details."

(The thread has been removed from the N'western message board)

Don't disagree with that at all. But I meant they were in talk talks with them when the B10 was openly looking to expand last year.

Ok, I'll make a prognostication, they're talking to them now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom