Expansion | Syracusefan.com

Expansion

CIL

All Conference
A lot of former scout insider subscribers know that I had some business connections with some folks that are affiliated with other BCS conferences. I ha e remained mum on a lot of the recent discussion due to he fact that a lot of misinformation (some intentionally leaked some just totally bogus) is being chucked around the Internet.

I am not going into a lengthy or overly detailed post on a public forum, however, i do want to clarify a few things out there, most of which are known or a person with half a brain could figure out.

First, major conference alignment is inevitable. I posed this a few years back and it remains true no matter what the folks at Baylor want to believe. It could happen in a day, month, or over a few years.

Despite what the folks at the ACC or BE claim, the power lies in the hands of the B10, SEC, and PAC 12. I'm not so sure these calls between the three have not BCS conferences have so much to do with expansion as they do contingency plans. Think you can figure out what that means.

The B10 is being quiet. Can't imagine 12 looks so good compared to 14 or 16. The tv execs have said as much.

As to some strong personal beliefs I hold: the hybrid B12/BE conference is a band aid for all those involved. It preserves a seat at the table, but it's still a kiddie table. the better option would be a true Atlantic Coast conference. I believe that conference could thrive and would have the ability to eventually compete with the 3 big ones - the eyeballs alone would bring in a lot of dough. Boston through Miami. No way the future big nesw last IMO - just mess.

There's a reason Syracuse is very quiet on this. My gut tells me there is a quiet confidence up on the hill.

There's a reason Syracuse is very quiet on this. My gut tells me there is a quiet confidence up on the hill.

I hope you're right.

Thanks...I hope you're right as well and your last sentence puts me at a little more ease...

A lot of former scout insider subscribers know that I had some business connections with some folks that are affiliated with other BCS conferences. I ha e remained mum on a lot of the recent discussion due to he fact that a lot of misinformation (some intentionally leaked some just totally bogus) is being chucked around the Internet.

I am not going into a lengthy or overly detailed post on a public forum, however, i do want to clarify a few things out there, most of which are known or a person with half a brain could figure out.

First, major conference alignment is inevitable. I posed this a few years back and it remains true no matter what the folks at Baylor want to believe. It could happen in a day, month, or over a few years.

Despite what the folks at the ACC or BE claim, the power lies in the hands of the B10, SEC, and PAC 12. I'm not so sure these calls between the three have not BCS conferences have so much to do with expansion as they do contingency plans. Think you can figure out what that means.

The B10 is being quiet. Can't imagine 12 looks so good compared to 14 or 16. The tv execs have said as much.

As to some strong personal beliefs I hold: the hybrid B12/BE conference is a band aid for all those involved. It preserves a seat at the table, but it's still a kiddie table. the better option would be a true Atlantic Coast conference. I believe that conference could thrive and would have the ability to eventually compete with the 3 big ones - the eyeballs alone would bring in a lot of dough. Boston through Miami. No way the future big nesw last IMO - just mess.

SU has stayed in the picture with the ACC knowing more change would be coming (as well as the Big10). There will be a 16 team ACC/BE/whatever you want to call it...eventually. SEC execs said as far back as 10 years ago or more that super conferences would come some day. I think the hard part for them will be to decide whether to break away from the NCAA and whether it will be 4x16 or 5x16.

Agree with a true ACC. Add Cuse, Pitt, CT, Rutgers, and WVU and be done with it.

i agree with this wholeheartedly. the way to go is boston to miami and everything in between. Cuse will have a seat at that table. a b12 merger would just a temporary fix till the b10 moves.

The ACC, from Mass. to Florida, is what I've wanted from the first ACC expansion. Every other BE expansion scenario is trying to put lipstick on a pig. The Big East doesn't make any sense now and if it expands west it will make even less. No thank you.

the better option would be a true Atlantic Coast conference. I believe that conference could thrive and would have the ability to eventually compete with the 3 big ones - the eyeballs alone would bring in a lot of dough. Boston through Miami. No way the future big nesw last IMO - just mess.

The B1G, SEC, and Pac-10 were (are) all regional conferences with shared revenue plans, a shared history, and similar institutions. This has allowed rivalries and conference (geographic) pride to develop. The problem with the B12 was (1) its unequal revenue sharing plan and (2) and not preserving the some of the former rivalries like Nebraska and Oklahoma. This left a bad taste in Nebraska's mouth when it no longer was the dominant program in the B12 and saw it revenues shrink.

The Big East suffered from a similar fate. One of the public reasons Miami gave for leaving the Big East was the shared revenue plan in place at the ACC. Like Nebraska, it had no problem with the Big East's revenue sharing plan when it was on top. Once it was placed on probation and no longer was winning the conference, however, it changed its tune. Further, the Big East was and is a conference of convenience. The schools did not share a similar academic vision or focus. Nothing bound them together other than athletics, which made it easier for schools to leave. Also, adding a team like TCU (or Miami originally) creates geographic confusion. When I was in Miami in the early 90s, the only game we cared about was FSU. My understanding was that in the 80s, ND was also on the list of hated rivals. What was not on the list - a Big East team. Again, one of the reasons Miami was able to leave the conference without a second glance.

An expanded ACC would have a shared revenue plan, reunite schools with some history, and make sense geographically. I agree this could be a great conference in both football and basketball. The problem for SU is that it is a basketball school. It has stronger basketball rivalries with basketball onlies then rivalries with football schools. This makes it difficult for some to see the benefits of making the jump.

Agree with a true ACC. Add Cuse, Pitt, CT, Rutgers, and WVU and be done with it.

Are you assuming they lose one? Or go to 17.

I hope that the ACC and the important BE schools realize the importance of acting to bring all the necessary schools together b/c otherwise both of the conferences could be left in the dust.

Interesting CIL. I follow you for a reason. Your analysis is always well researched and written. I do hope that TGD meant what he said about focusing on the "big picture," now exclusively when he brought in those new admins... I can't see how we don't get a good invite somewhere! We bring too much to the table, especially if we are on the precipice of a solid football run...

Care to elaborate a bit on your last sentence?

my guess is the assumption of FSU to the SEC since he listed 5 BE schools moving over

I don't think (but what do I know) that FSU or Clemson has any chance at the SEC as #14, but I guess they'd have to be if they go 16. From the blogger bits I read, the one thing that seemed to make the most sense was the rumor that the SEC had one mandate for expansion, new states. FSU and Clemson don't accomplish this. They won't touch Mizzou while there is still a Big 12. So from one article I read today, they probably stick with 13 until the Big 12 mess is sorted out.

Whatever happens, the albatross that is the BEast hybrid has to come to an end.

I love our league as much as the next fan, have seen it from its formation & watched it evolve & thrive. However, at some point you have to "adapt or die", simple as that.
The basketball-driven schematic just doesn't work, & won't ever do so again. Either Providence gets some cujones & makes DECISIVE, BOLD, INNOVATIVE moves, or they'll be left behind...period.

Time for a Costanza-like BE divorce: "Its not you, its me"... :blah:

The problem for SU is that it is a basketball school. It has stronger basketball rivalries with basketball onlies then rivalries with football schools. This makes it difficult for some to see the benefits of making the jump.
While some choose to ignore it, Syracuse's long-term all-around rival is already in the ACC. Rejuvenation of that rivalry has already been started. Making it a permanent situation would be great for both schools. The recently added "good old fashioned hate" (at least as experienced by those on the Orange side of the fence) only adds fuel to the fire.

An annual holiday hoops weekend featuring 4 former BE basketball onlies and 4 former BE all-around programs might help with the separation. Annual hoops games with GTown and 'Nova (alternating home-away) would be even better for Orange fans.

Where does academics fit into all this? People go into great deal about the on-field, TV and dollars implications. Most threads never touch on it. But before this ever gets to the networks, these are still decisions made by educators for educational institutions. That's why it seems like the smart reporting about OU notes that they want the academic prestige associated with the better Pac-10 schools. I think the academic perception and reality of SU's standing have changed in the last few years (some ways better, some ways worse). I'm just not sure whether it points to the Big 10, ACC or stay where we are. This is not something a lot of people really know about, I think, since it gets into personal and institutional relationships involving the schools. It's very "inside baseball" yet it really can't be underestimated and I think will find it's one of the top one or two determining factors in where we end up -- behind fan base, stadium size or eyeballs.

Yup. And if the ACC/BE were to lose 1 to the SEC, add L'Ville. If the ACC/BE were to lose a second (B10?), add USF

Deciphering the code:

Three have conferences: PAC12, B1G, SEC
Three have not Conferences: BE, B12, ACC

Quiet confidence on the hill = B1G?

The ACC expansion makes so much sense, I can't imagine that discussions are not occuring.

The ACC BB league would be great. The FB league would be great. The lacrosse league would be unbelievable. And, as you have noted, with more than enough eyeballs to generate tremendous TV revenue.

Dr. Gross - Make this happen now!!!

Deciphering the code:

Three have conferences: PAC12, B1G, SEC
Three have not Conferences: BE, B12, ACC

Quiet confidence on the hill = B1G?

When the dust settles, there will be either 4 or 5 power conferences ... and SU will be in one of them.

The ACC expansion makes so much sense, I can't imagine that discussions are not occuring.

The ACC BB league would be great. The FB league would be great. The lacrosse league would be unbelievable. And, as you have noted, the number of eyeballs numerous enough to generate tremendous TV revenue.

Dr. Gross - Make this happen now!!!
With the caveat that the conference is no longer NC-centric... Perhaps, a non-reality...

Pehaps that is the case but statement on the state of the union and our participation in such. He must be concerned with traveling expenses being increased 10 fold with conference switching from the Big East. Afootball team traveling to Texas is expensive despite the payoff for the game. We don't have a fan base to make up $ in the home games. That has to be a major consideration for the AD if he is doing his job properly. The same for basketball and lacrosse if that sport is going to be a player in the conference settlement statusNot convinced about tar aspect of the plan.:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom