Expectations for this year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Expectations for this year?

Goodine’s “readiness” swings this team back and forth between 3-5 more or less wins imo

Anywhere from a top 20-25 to barely above 500. If all our shooters get hot and Sidibe is healthy and lives up to the potential he's flashed, then we can be a lot of fun.

I'm usually a glass half full guy, but I don't see this team doing well. I hope they surprise!

If we had an established ball handler, I'd be more bullish.

We had an established "ball handler" last year though...

Hope for the best and hopefully see a more likable team. Frank and some of our other recent departures never really endeared themselves to the fan base.

I’m fighting against the urge to jump in with my best case scenario “expectations” this year like I have every other year. All I know is that Hughes is a good shooter who should be able to get 15+ ppg, Buddy is a great spot up shooter, and Marek is a nice all around contributor as a role player.

Winning season - almost a given. JB's never not had one.
Non-losing conference season - close to ditto. Only 3 times < .500 on JB's watch.

So - Figure on 17-20+ wins overall, and 10-12+ wins in the ACC.

You know how Boeheim do. :cool:

Hope for the best and hopefully see a more likable team. Frank and some of our other recent departures never really endeared themselves to the fan base.

I think I would’ve liked Frank just fine(pre-suspension) if he was a backup combo guard playing 15 mpg. I think he was just in a role that was too big for him, through necessity.

I’m hoping as hard as one can hope that at least one of Carey/Goodine/Girard becomes an All ACC level guard as a Junior/Senior, and that all of them are at least decent right away this year.

Addition by Subtraction

Howard had a very bad year, he did not shoot well or run the offense well, he struggled against pressure and didn't get downhill off of the pick and role. (injury may have played a part in this)

Brissett didn't shoot well nor did he finish around the rim well.

Chukwu didn't finish around the rim, rebound or shot block well. (on average)

Battle needed more help and better shooting around him. His strong suit is as a one one one player and needs shooters to provide the spacing he needs to operate.

If Carey does not over dribble (which leads to turnovers) we will be a better offensive team. His ability to get into the lane and make good decisions (shoot pass decisions) will dictate if will are marginally better or significantly better.

Guerrier should be a more efficient scorer then Brissett was and has a far better post up game (because he has a post up game)

The three headed monster at center can only be better than last year because the bar is just that low. At worst Dolezaj is a stronger version of himself.

Great post. It's spot on. We'll be better than last year, how much will depend Carey and Goodine.

Non-losing conference season - close to ditto. Only 3 times < .500 on JB's watch.

Agree and think this group will be a whole lot easier to watch getting there.

I do think at times we will miss having someone like battle to just clear out and iso, but I do believe the product on the court will be much better. Safely in the NCAA's with a 8/9 seed.

We did, but we have also had them in successful years.

Frank was clearly not the same after that injury and couldn't get his stuff together. When I think of frank I will always remember that Zags sweet 16 game, super solid play.

I will also remember his family at the final four in houston with the custom made frank shirts.

So if the argument is we don't need a proven point guard because of frank, then that is something I can't get behind.

Last edited:
I think this is JB's evolution to modern offensive basketball. IJ will be Draymond for us next year.
We will beat teams we should not, due to shooting.
Top 6 ACC. NCAA crapshoot.

I want the team scoring 85ppg, giving up 71, with 26-8 or 32-4 records over the last two years.

I do not want the team scoring 69, giving up 66, and going 20-13 or 20-14. Nor coming in second
fiddle in NYS to Buffalo, who has the line from above.

THAT record, and result, sucks.

Kev

yup . . . that's the floor

My goal for this year is to be really excited about the team we have back next year. I think we have a couple of frosh that are much better than we expect them to be. Namely, Goodine and JBA

My goal for this year is to be really excited about the team we have back next year. I think we have a couple of frosh that are much better than we expect them to be. Namely, Goodine and JBA
and i'll add jgiii to that as well

Bubble. Based on the yoof and unknown at PG. But, then again, i have no clue what any of the other teams will be bringing.

Last years team was a mess. From start to finish it never found itself. At times it was painful to watch. Every player on the team with the exception of Hughes seemed to regress.
Moving to this year we have nothing but upside. A fresh roster, hopefully a Healthy Sid, potentially 2 strong points in Goodine and Carey, a couple of intriguing Bigs, O Canada, shooters and more shooters, lots of intriguing combinations.
Im very optimistic and think that by the end of the year we can be a threat to make a nice run.
Final answer 19 regular season. 2 ACC tournament wins. 8 seed and 2 Dance wins.

It is now October and exhibition games start later this month. Is it too early to discuss this? Without seeing a few serious games under their belt it is hard to judge and I personally do not think what we saw in Italy can provide enough input (based on the competition) other than giving some personal individual talent assessments. How will all these kids work as a team?

Don't think I have seen any sports prognosticators giving us much credit and in all honesty, based on our lack of experience, they could be warranted in doing so. Seems we are picked to be in the lower half of the ACC and a slight chance to make the NCAA's. Nothing new for us I guess.

- There seems little doubt we have a few excellent shooters, if we can find ways to get them good looks.
- Center position is going to be a key and Sidibe's health and offensive performance will be crucial.
- I hope Guerrier will show his prowess in the rebounding department.
- It really will all come down to Point Guard play as always.

I see us likely somewhere between 6th and 10th in the ACC standings. I also think we will be a Tournament team, albeit a fairly low seed again.

Would be nice to get more than one win in the ACC Tourney which I think would be a first. I feel the team will be fun to watch and operate more uptempo which, if nothing else, should make for exciting viewing.

20+ wins, spend most of the season ranked, finish in the Top 5 in the ACC, make the second weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Last years team was a mess. From start to finish it never found itself. At times it was painful to watch. Every player on the team with the exception of Hughes seemed to regress.
Moving to this year we have nothing but upside. A fresh roster, hopefully a Healthy Sid, potentially 2 strong points in Goodine and Carey, a couple of intriguing Bigs, O Canada, shooters and more shooters, lots of intriguing combinations.
Im very optimistic and think that by the end of the year we can be a threat to make a nice run.
Final answer 19 regular season. 2 ACC tournament wins. 8 seed and 2 Dance wins.

Excellent. We’re gonna beat a 1 seed.

We have 7 cupcakes. I don’t think it is too much to ask going 10-10 vs the ACC and 2-2 vs Iowa, Barclays, Georgetown and 1-1 in the ACCT. That would make us 20-13 and in the NCAAs.

I'm looking forward to the season because it's Syracuse basketball and it is unquestionably my singular favorite sporting entity. Just not really looking forward to the results. Only team left in my life where losing games still can make my day a bit crappier. I've gotten over football, the Bills, Sabres and everyone else mostly due to years of trauma but Cuse bball was still the one thing we could look forward to to get through winter. It's sort of miserable to just look at our expectations for this year and combine that with how unenjoyable the past few seasons have been. I'm sure someone will tell me how great the tournament runs were in 16 & 18 but 5 straight bubble seasons with 13+ losses has worn me down. So my hopes are that the games themselves aren't as ugly to watch, just hoping that with all of the shooting that we've accumulate and a PG that likes to push that we will be playing in the 80s instead of the 60s most nights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom