Experimental NIT Rules... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Experimental NIT Rules...

I would love to see the wider lane in college ball.

2 free throws at 5 fouls should be interesting...will the Louisville types play softer?

I wish they’d go back to a real jump ball on tie ups.
You would quickly change your mind upon realization how terrible these guys are at throwing the jump ball

I like every rule proposal.

The game of basketball should have rules as close to each as they can from HS to college to pro ball.

JB will like the FIBA 3 point line.

i'd like to see a 5 point circle mid court just wide enuf to accommodate tip off and worth 5 if you have one foot in.
I forget whether I saw this here or on our board, but someone proposed having a shot from over the mid-court line count for 4 points and a shot from inside your own 3-point circle for 5 points as a way to liven up those games with the team that's behind getting the ball at their baseline with 3.7 seconds left.

End of quarter shots would actually cause coaches to teach their players how to execute it.
I think watching college basketball it is easy to see how bad the actual situational basketball coaching is.

The good ones have an advantage.

You get one less TV timeout per half and the breaks would be 30 seconds longer to fit that commercial in.
10 TV breaks now and it would become 8 TV breaks.

I forget whether I saw this here or on our board, but someone proposed having a shot from over the mid-court line count for 4 points and a shot from inside your own 3-point circle for 5 points as a way to liven up those games with the team that's behind getting the ball at their baseline with 3.7 seconds left.
A five point shot closer than the three point line??

^

jeopardy-answer.jpg

Last edited:
A five point shot closer than the three point line??
No, it would be 5 points for getting a basket from behind the 3-point line in your defensive end of the court, like a shot from inside your lane on defense. 2, 3, 4, and 5 as you move further from the basket you're shooting at.

All levels should go to FIBA rulesand courts. NBA can stay as is since it is the peak.

Until they work in the Money Ball, I'm not watching!

Unless they add beer, kind of like beer league softball. Each player is given a red solo cup upon entering the action. They have to play without spilling their beer. Once they finish the beer they can put their cup down until the next stoppage in play when it has to be refilled if they are staying in the game. Once a player has had a half dozen beers they get an extra two personal fouls that they can accure against them before fouling out. This would be to counteract the effects of the alcohol which might lead to imprecision in body control.

you get the option of 2 FTs plus the ball.[/QUOTE]

do you mean 2 free throws or the ball ? nobody is turning down option 1.

Last edited:
I think it may speed the game up on the foul issue though; instead of shooting on the 7th in each half, you'd need 5 in each quarter. So theoretically, there would be fewer foul shots taken. I think
Why not just up the bonus per half to 10 for the 1 and 1?

That means all contact fouls on drives to the basket will be called blocks.

That would be a major improvement over the status quo.

The block/charge rule as applied in college basketball is entirely awful and I don’t understand why it isn’t changed. The fact that most of these plays could be called either a block of charge (so a 3 point swing) would be bad enough if the rules weren’t activiely encouraging players to create exactly these situations.

At least the players are trying to avoid the situations that implicate the nfls stupid catch rule. Here we’ve thought generations of players to play defense by getting run over, which requires refs to make massively important judgment calls they are completely incapable of making.

you get the option of 2 FTs plus the ball.

do you mean 2 free throws or the ball ? nobody is turning down option 1.[/QUOTE]
Option wasn't the word there that I was going for. After X fouls, instead of just 2 shots, you get 2 shots plus the ball. Would lessen incessant fouling at the end of the game.

why jump ball ? how about random tossed ball ? ref closes his eyes , spins and chucks it wherever .
set the ball at center court & have two guys race for it from opposite endlines, like the old xfl scramble.

do you mean 2 free throws or the ball ? nobody is turning down option 1.
Option wasn't the word there that I was going for. After X fouls, instead of just 2 shots, you get 2 shots plus the ball. Would lessen incessant fouling at the end of the game.[/QUOTE]

that's exactly what they said about the double bonus after 10 fouls. It did no such thing. the fouling continues yet the drama of the 1 and 1 is gone..makes for boring end of game situations when your team isn't involved.

imho, these experiments are not radical enough. i no longer believe that a deep jump shot should be worth 50% more than any other shot. maybe make a regular field goal worth 3 points and a shot beyond the arc worth 4, so the difference is only 25%. a foul after a made basket is one shot, a common foul is 2, the bonus is 2+1, the double bonus is 3, a foul on a four pointer is 4 shots. combine it with a wider lane & emphasis on calling 3 seconds violations (both offensive & defensive)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom