Explain to me why people think UNCA... | Syracusefan.com

Explain to me why people think UNCA...

PeteCalvin

Hall of Fame
Or shall I phrase it as that NYT chick did, that "Syracuse won by the length of an officials bad call."? Yes the Triche call was a bad call. But SU was still up three at that point, and who knows if Asheville would have scored?! It's just like saying that WVU lost because of the non goaltend call on Keita. KJ turned the ball right back over. We were up two at the time. There was still a lot of time left. WVU got three good looks at the basket and missed. So they score the basket. Now it's tied, and SU has a full shot clock to work with for the win. WVU may have lost anyway, just like Asheville may have lost anyway. You don't lose a game on one bad call, unless it's a bogus whistle with like one second left. The game is won or lost by what you do leading up to that call. JB adjusted on offense late in the game and Asheville went stagnant. We made a run and they didn't. Their players created the lane violations that gave Scoop another chance to extend the lead. Not our problem.

I get that they played a good game and that we didn't show up, but there was no one call that cost them the win. A call cost them a possession, but not the win.

All of these so called educated reporters that suggest we won because of one bad call should have their credentials revoked.

The common misconception is that all reporters are smart or write responsibly.

Most of them just want to make a name for themselves, so they say dumb things to stick out.

See Doyel, GGregggg.

Or shall I phrase it as that NYT chick did, that "Syracuse won by the length of an officials bad call."? Yes the Triche call was a bad call. But SU was still up three at that point, and who knows if Asheville would have scored?! It's just like saying that WVU lost because of the non goaltend call on Keita. KJ turned the ball right back over. We were up two at the time. There was still a lot of time left. WVU got three good looks at the basket and missed. So they score the basket. Now it's tied, and SU has a full shot clock to work with for the win. WVU may have lost anyway, just like Asheville may have lost anyway. You don't lose a game on one bad call, unless it's a bogus whistle with like one second left. The game is won or lost by what you do leading up to that call. JB adjusted on offense late in the game and Asheville went stagnant. We made a run and they didn't. Their players created the lane violations that gave Scoop another chance to extend the lead. Not our problem.

I get that they played a good game and that we didn't show up, but there was no one call that cost them the win. A call cost them a possession, but not the win.

All of these so called educated reporters that suggest we won because of one bad call should have their credentials revoked.

Yeah, it's like a football where a team is down 7 late in the game with the ball on their own 35 yard line and the officials miss a penalty that would have given them a first down instead of a change of possession. It was still pretty unlikely they would drive all the way down the field and score, you can't say they lost because of a call. They lost because they gave up too many points.

Most of them just want to make a name for themselves, so they say dumb things to stick out.

Or they jump on a bandwagon - especially when it's a politically correct one.

lord knows no one on this board has ever claimed the officials cost us a game :D

Yes the Triche call was a bad call.

I wish even the SU fans would stop saying it was a bad call. It was the wrong call and cost us points probably. It certainly didn't hurt Unca

Sent from my DROIDX

This constant media melodrama is getting almost as tiresome as UNC asheep fans crying that the game was 'stolen' from them. If they want to whine about calls, vent on the internal boards.

As for the media, I get that there aren't any huge upsets to write about. But dwelling on the lane violation and Triche (non) foul call seems a bit desparate.

Those claiming blown calls should focus in on the (uncalled) Triche foul at the half. UNCA fans claim that the clock expired (this was the final incorrect call). But that's irrelevant, because the clock should have stopped with a foul call. Clearly, BT got hacked before the shot clock expired--you can see the ref's arm start up with 1 sec left on the shot clock. Dead ball -- clock stops. A free foul (preventing the shot to go up in time) isn't possible under the rule, else we could just bear-hug our opponents 5 seconds before every shot clock until the buzzer sounds.

The other (non) call on the Triche out of bounds play was also incorrect, but not to UNCA's detriment. Triche obviously got banged before/as the pass hit his hands. Everyone (including the announcers) saw that. Therefore, as it ended up, the officials made a 'mistake' by giving us possession -- yet the correct call would put Triche on the line for 2. So UNCA got a 1-2 point gift depending on whether Triche makes his foul shots (suddenly a mystery). Picking this play as justification for their perceived injustice isn't helpful.

Basically, in no shape or form did UNCA get the screw job they're claiming. SU had an 8 point lead with a few minutes remaining. Asheep made a couple of 3's during its rally, but SU maintained a 1-2 possession margain with buckets or foul shots. Blaming the ref's is fine for decompression (we certainly do this), but to break out with a dramatic public outcry just makes them look like poor loosers.

Actually, their team played well. They executed their strategy .. make outside shots, defend the paint and force SU to shoot it. Unfortunately for them, they also turned it over and in the end, SU made enough shots to seal the win.

I wish even the SU fans would stop saying it was a bad call. It was the wrong call and cost us points probably. It certainly didn't hurt Unca

I think he is referencing the out of bounds call, off of Triche, at the end of the game. Not the Triche shot at the end of the half.

I think he is referencing the out of bounds call, off of Triche, at the end of the game. Not the Triche shot at the end of the half.

SO is bees.

Should have been a foul on UNCA. instead they gave possession to SU. Happens at least six times a game - officials give possession rather than call a marginal foul - but that kinda kills the story. Yes, it was a bad call. It should have been a foul on UNCA and Trishe at the line shooting free throws.

It's only turned into a bad call that screwed UNCA because the media wants to paint that picture, and the average person is a moron that can't see through the typical media bulls**t.

I don't care about the calls. SU played like crap and that's being kind. I'll take the abuse. I'm just glad the team held on by their finger nails to win the game. The criticism will subside in a day. If we had lost, the abject humiliation would have lasted 10 years, just like the Richmond game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom