Class of 2024 - F/C Petar Majstorovic (Serbia) SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (8/16/24) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 F/C Petar Majstorovic (Serbia) SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (8/16/24)

I think Lampkin is going to be a big upgrade defensively compared to late last season.

Possession after possession, Brown and Taylor would be overpowered and opposing players would get easy shots because our guys were overmatched. Lampkin is not going to get pushed around (even"slim" Lamp had serious girth). Importantly, Bell and Freeman are lengthy, athletic types that will thrive on weakside shotblocking as opposing players are forced to fade away from Lampkin.

I think the interior defense is going to be greatly improved, as opponents won't be shooting layups every possession off routine post play.

Brown was great in a few ways, but upgrading to Lampkin's size, and having McLeod back is going to be a huge improvement over Brown's insufficient size. Having Freeman instead of Taylor inside will compound the improvement.

Bell will be Bell, but he looks a little bigger, so hopefully his rebounding will tick up a bit, and he'll be able to bother his guy a little more.

Experience and new ideas coaching wise hopefully get our team defense to be better too. We need individual defensive skills of course but communication and movement matters so much and it was a mess last year. So the combination of those factors plus a shot blocker off the bench at the 5 should help improve team defense even if we don’t have an alpha defender on the team and have some average to below average defenders too.

I think the best way to phrase this is that we appear to have more useful pieces than we have had in a while.

The questions I have are mainly two:

1) How does this all fit together? Lots of pieces here but the system on both ends of the court will be interesting to see because unlike 2012, I’m not sure we have quite the same high-end talent.

2) Can we find enough Basketball Players. I know that’s a really vague statement but I have concerns about the all-around game of most of these guys. Starling should put up some solid numbers this year but can he improve defensively and create more offensively (for himself and others)? Can Freeman step on the floor as a freshman and make an immediate impact on both ends and the boards? Can Bell consistently be something more than a spot-up shooter? Lampkin should get some buckets and help our rebounding. Seems like a good passer too. But can he hang defensively?

We’ve got a lot of pieces, which is a good thing. How they fit together and how good those individual pieces play are the questions I'm most interested in seeing. Feel like they could be a tournament-worthy team if everything goes right, but I wouldn't be totally shocked to see it be a really rough year either.

Nice observations. Generally speaking, I think having more experienced guys means that we ought to have more well-rounded "basketball players". They've been through it before, and if they were completely one dimensional, I don't think we would have brought them in.

Guys like Bell and Starling can and should improve. They both came on as the year progressed. I like that we have options at SF if Bell doesn't put effort into the defensive end, and needs to sit for a while and watch. I like that Starling doesn't have to be the primary ball handler for 30 minutes. I like that we have 4 guys who can bring the ball up.

I don't think we will have quite as many "pure shooters" as we have had in recent seasons, but I think we have enough, in Starling, Moore, Lucas Taylor, Carlos and Cuffe. And Donnie Freeman looks capable, as well. I don't feel like we're super-burly, but we should be able to match teams' physicality.

We have Lampkin, Davis, Freeman, Westry and MacLeod who should be pretty decent defensively.

It's as good of a group of 12 players as we've had in a long time.

Probably since 2012. Not suggesting that this team will be as good as that one, but that was the last time we had more than two solid units of players, who could all legitimately contribute.

I think finding the 8-9 guys and finalizing the rotation is going to be key. We aren't going 12 guys unless something bad happened (not saying having 12 good dudes is a bad thing, to be clear).

I think the lead guard (JJ vs Carlos) is key. I think finding Donnie's role will be key. And I think seeing what Lampkin can do when JJ is running the show vs Carlos will be key.

I'm not as bullish on the transfers as others, but I do think that our defense should hopefully be better just from working together more in sync. Defending a basic screen last year was an adventure and I expect that to not be the case. Would love to see who steps up as our defensive captain because I'm hoping the experience we now have will lend itself to that type of player.

I think finding the 8-9 guys and finalizing the rotation is going to be key. We aren't going 12 guys unless something bad happened (not saying having 12 good dudes is a bad thing, to be clear).

I think the lead guard (JJ vs Carlos) is key. I think finding Donnie's role will be key. And I think seeing what Lampkin can do when JJ is running the show vs Carlos will be key.

I'm not as bullish on the transfers as others, but I do think that our defense should hopefully be better just from working together more in sync. Defending a basic screen last year was an adventure and I expect that to not be the case. Would love to see who steps up as our defensive captain because I'm hoping the experience we now have will lend itself to that type of player.

Good stuff - I think whoever ends up 10-12 can still be the “hired guns” to add value in certain matchups but a core 9 probably locks in at some point organically. It may be a blessing or a curse but I only see a few guys who are absolutely guaranteed to always play their chunk of minutes with pretty much the rest of the roster fighting to be that next 6. To me that means 12 will play but might be some practice battles that have a hand in that especially later in the year.

Good stuff - I think whoever ends up 10-12 can still be the “hired guns” to add value in certain matchups but a core 9 probably locks in at some point organically. It may be a blessing or a curse but I only see a few guys who are absolutely guaranteed to always play their chunk of minutes with pretty much the rest of the roster fighting to be that next 6. To me that means 12 will play but might be some practice battles that have a hand in that especially later in the year.
Really hard to play 12 guys every night. Just don't see it happening. But who knows.

Really hard to play 12 guys every night. Just don't see it happening. But who knows.

I doubt we do- could see some rotations on who gets minutes as the 8-10 spots.

Is Petar on campus yet? I'm excited about him and can't wait to see him in uniform.

Nice observations. Generally speaking, I think having more experienced guys means that we ought to have more well-rounded "basketball players". They've been through it before, and if they were completely one dimensional, I don't think we would have brought them in.

Guys like Bell and Starling can and should improve. They both came on as the year progressed. I like that we have options at SF if Bell doesn't put effort into the defensive end, and needs to sit for a while and watch. I like that Starling doesn't have to be the primary ball handler for 30 minutes. I like that we have 4 guys who can bring the ball up.

I don't think we will have quite as many "pure shooters" as we have had in recent seasons, but I think we have enough, in Starling, Moore, Lucas Taylor, Carlos and Cuffe. And Donnie Freeman looks capable, as well. I don't feel like we're super-burly, but we should be able to match teams' physicality.

We have Lampkin, Davis, Freeman, Westry and MacLeod who should be pretty decent defensively.
Yeah, agree with this, particularly in terms of Bell and Starling improving (along with Cuffe, for that matter and how different is a healthy McLeod).

I also agree -- plenty of options and guys that can do different things

Just would feel much differently about this discussion if we get to Jan. and we're talking about what a good two-way forward Freeman is, how much more active Bell has been, and how Starling has been solid defensively and is scoring decently at all three levels on offense. It doesn't have to be those three players -- maybe it's lampkin or a healthy westry or Carlos/davis/taylor, etc. Just some reliable two-way guys who are legit top dogs for everyone else to play off.

I find it unlikely. 10 feels like the max and even that is a bit unlikely. That said, what's interesting here is the guys that feel the most likely to play bigger roles are guys with little to no eligibility left: Lampkin, Starling, Bell, Carlos, Davis, Taylor, McLeod are all guys with 1 or zero years left. Freeman is the exception of course. But Guys with multiple years may not want to stick around if they don't see a clear path legit PT -- Majstorovic, Cuffe, Moore, Westry will be interesting to watch because keeping them around may be difficult if we can't find some sort of role.

Obviously I don't have inside info and some of this stuff will play out naturally ... but it's interesting nonetheless.

Yeah, obviously we agree on the first point. I don't disagree on the second point either.

I also think there is potential for some of the returnees who weren't quite able to get the job done (at least on both ends) last season to improve. Bell will probably never be my favorite player, but if he moves without the ball and works hard on the defensive end, he has a chance to put up a very good junior season. JJ seems like a good kid and a hard worker. He was productive last year. If he can consistently get to that mid-range, like he did vs. UNC, and be more aggressive overall on both ends, he can clearly be a good player. I even think a kid like Cuffe, if he got in shape, has the confidence and athleticism to contribute in a meaningful way.

The newcomers all appear to have some potential to contribute -- really liked what little we got to see of Majstorovic as well.

So, the bottom line is this. If you're right and the new guys can play and we add in some improvement from the returnees -- that is a really good situation. Where I differ is that I'm not totally confident in that. I get concerned about Lampkin's fit defensively and was underwhelmed by McLeod (obviously the injury may be thing here). I worry about teaching instincts with guys like JJ and Bell -- you can tell Bell to move more and JJ to be more aggressive, but can you teach them feel? Not sure. I worry a bit about the jump in competition for some of the new guys.

Anyway, potential for good things is there. I just wish i felt better about our reaching that potential.
I think with this roster construction, Red probably told Bell he better be more then just a stand
in one place shooter, or he will sit.

I hope this kid is successful here and has a big impact for however long we have him (even if it’s mostly next year and beyond). Would be great to have a pipeline to kids playing in the French leagues to go with HS recruiting and the portal. Tap every resource, especially with the massive talent pool that’s only growing in Europe.

The college model continues to grow closer to the NBA now with the NIL rules so let’s make sure we are aggressively scouting the foreign talent pool to go with.

Last edited:
Yeah, agree with this, particularly in terms of Bell and Starling improving (along with Cuffe, for that matter and how different is a healthy McLeod).

I also agree -- plenty of options and guys that can do different things

Just would feel much differently about this discussion if we get to Jan. and we're talking about what a good two-way forward Freeman is, how much more active Bell has been, and how Starling has been solid defensively and is scoring decently at all three levels on offense. It doesn't have to be those three players -- maybe it's lampkin or a healthy westry or Carlos/davis/taylor, etc. Just some reliable two-way guys who are legit top dogs for everyone else to play off.

No, I get what you're talking about. We can be optimistic at the roster construction, but there is plenty of reason to still have concerns until they've played together as a team for a month or two. Then we'll have a much better idea of the upside potential of this team. We might be pretty good.

Every team needs a "glue guy" stat stuffer who keeps everyone together and knows everyone's abilities, capabilities and tendencies. Eventually I can see him being it. Does a lot of things well. Wonder if he is related to Dejan Majstorovic?

Last edited:
I find it unlikely. 10 feels like the max and even that is a bit unlikely. That said, what's interesting here is the guys that feel the most likely to play bigger roles are guys with little to no eligibility left: Lampkin, Starling, Bell, Carlos, Davis, Taylor, McLeod are all guys with 1 or zero years left. Freeman is the exception of course. But Guys with multiple years may not want to stick around if they don't see a clear path legit PT -- Majstorovic, Cuffe, Moore, Westry will be interesting to watch because keeping them around may be difficult if we can't find some sort of role.

Obviously I don't have inside info and some of this stuff will play out naturally ... but it's interesting nonetheless.
i think 10 is the minimum...i think all of the players will play a role this year...and should be able to get time.

i think 10 is the minimum...i think all of the players will play a role this year...and should be able to get time.

10 can't be the minimum. At what point are sitting a better player to let a worse player play?

I think you can count on 8. There may be more if the other guys earn it, but they will have to earn it.

Carlos
Taylor
Starling
Bell
Davis
Freeman
Lampkin
McLeod

All pretty much guaranteed to play if healthy.

Majstorovic will have to either beat out McLeod which will be tough because we need his shot blocking, or be so good that Red plays 4 forwards with Davis playing mostly 3. Definitely a possibility, but no guarantee.

Late last year we played Cuffe only at the end of games when you would make offense/defense subs as a defensive sub. I think Westry could have that role this year. A contributor who also doesn't take up many minutes. But, again no guarantees here. He hasn't played in two years and the competition will be tough.

Cuffe/Moore These guys are in direct competition. No way both play meaningful minutes. There is a chance one plays and we go with a 4 guard rotation, but 4 guard rotations are more rare than you think. It's not like with bigs. Guards quarterback the game and need time on the floor. They tend to perform worse when pulled in and out quickly. I think both these guys have an uphill battle for PT when it really matters.

Does anyone know whether Westry and Choppa practice with the guards or the forwards?

I wish we had an alpha AA type of player to make us a top 10 team. However, like the pieces, tenure of this team. Also have very good size, good shooting, multiple guys with a handle, not sure about defense but should be average at least and will have to outscore teams. Could see us with 22/23 wins this year and a 6/7 seed or higher.

10 can't be the minimum. At what point are sitting a better player to let a worse player play?

I think you can count on 8. There may be more if the other guys earn it, but they will have to earn it.

Carlos
Taylor
Starling
Bell
Davis
Freeman
Lampkin
McLeod

All pretty much guaranteed to play if healthy.

Majstorovic will have to either beat out McLeod which will be tough because we need his shot blocking, or be so good that Red plays 4 forwards with Davis playing mostly 3. Definitely a possibility, but no guarantee.

Late last year we played Cuffe only at the end of games when you would make offense/defense subs as a defensive sub. I think Westry could have that role this year. A contributor who also doesn't take up many minutes. But, again no guarantees here. He hasn't played in two years and the competition will be tough.

Cuffe/Moore These guys are in direct competition. No way both play meaningful minutes. There is a chance one plays and we go with a 4 guard rotation, but 4 guard rotations are more rare than you think. It's not like with bigs. Guards quarterback the game and need time on the floor. They tend to perform worse when pulled in and out quickly. I think both these guys have an uphill battle for PT when it really matters.
1. if you think we will go the entire season with only lampkin and mcleod at center...I think youre dreaming. as such, it is better to play all 3 centers throughout the year instead of playing petar in a late season emergency for the first time, rusty without any chemistry.

2. 2021 nattty champs baylor had a 5 guard rotation...went 9 deep...2022 10th man averaged 4 mins a game

3. guys like westry and choppa are going to play this year 100%...mastrojvic has a good chance of playing a lot of minutes this year too

4. JB liked small rotations...red doesnt seem to ...its not required...the zone requird it bc every player needed to be micro-coached on it

5. if players show they arent up to it and not as good as the others...then yeah...they wont play...and that likely will happen but theres also the chance that doesnt happen...and if so...those guys should just play no minutes, imo

1. if you think we will go the entire season with only lampkin and mcleod at center...I think youre dreaming. as such, it is better to play all 3 centers throughout the year instead of playing petar in a late season emergency for the first time, rusty without any chemistry.

2. 2021 nattty champs baylor had a 5 guard rotation...went 9 deep...2022 10th man averaged 4 mins a game

3. guys like westry and choppa are going to play this year 100%...mastrojvic has a good chance of playing a lot of minutes this year too

4. JB liked small rotations...red doesnt seem to ...its not required...the zone requird it bc every player needed to be micro-coached on it

5. if players show they arent up to it and not as good as the others...then yeah...they wont play...and that likely will happen but theres also the chance that doesnt happen...and if so...those guys should just play no minutes, imo

From never happening to playing lots of minutes in a week ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom