Favorite thing I keep seeing Duke fans saying... | Syracusefan.com

Favorite thing I keep seeing Duke fans saying...

"We've played other teams that play 2-3 so we should be fine."

Never heard that one before...

Have to love the people who don't quite get that our 2-3 is unique in college basketball.

Seriously. I also love how some prognosticators equate them shooting well on Monday to how they will shoot on Saturday. I actually heard that moron Bruce Pearl suggest last night that Duke might "shoot us out of our zone." Riiiiight.

It's going to be a tough game--no question--but I like our chances!

Let's Go Orange!!!

Have to love the people who don't quite get that our 2-3 is unique in college basketball.

We hear that all the time. Certainly ours is much different because of personal and adjustments. It was like the guy doing the Wake game said. I've seen and played a lot of 2-3 zone and Its not a 2-3 zone, I'm not sure what it is."

That said I'm sure the Duke players and coaches aren't viewing it as simply as that. Its funny really other teams can be great defensive m2m teams but you don't have to prepare so specially for them, they prepare to stop what you do against m2m defense. The thing about our zone specifically is that teams prepare to play differently on offense against us. Our defensive preparation is more along the lines of scouting reports, who we will let shot who we won't ect. and what adjustments we will make during the game to slow down a team that is finding its comfort level against us. It really can be a great advantage and sometimes it seems the longer a team has to prepare for us the worse they do, think IU last year. Basically they spend multiple days being psyched out by their own coaching staff. You have to do this and that at the right time and they don't play as fluidly as they usually do plus we close the openings they are looking for faster than expected and our staff already knows what adjustment 1, 2, + 3 are always going to be against us when the other team cannot score. This is probably where K will have an advantage over most coaches because yes he will want to attack our zone specifically but he will try to do it by using what his players are good at rather than something they don't usually do. He will look to shift and rotate the zone to get his guys into 1 on 1 situations that they normally look to score from IMO.

Last edited:
Seriously. I also love how some prognosticators equate them shooting well on Monday to how they will shoot on Saturday. I actually heard that moron Bruce Pearl suggest last night that Duke might "shoot us out of our zone." Riiiiight.

It's going to be a tough game--no question--but I like our chances!

Let's Go Orange!!!
Bruce Pearl is my favorite analyst ever. Very inciteful and he commands respect...

Said NOBODY EVER!!!

so thus we open up with the full court press....
genius. release the trunk monkey!!!!

Patience is one thing, but setting fire to your camels—your only means of escape—is quite another. That didn’t stop Timur, descendant of Genghis Khan, from doing so during his capture of Delhi.

When faced by the Sultan and his 120 war elephants in 1398, Timur ordered his terrified, fleeing men to dismount and load their camels with as much hay as possible. As soon as the elephants started their charge, Timur’s forces set their mounts on fire and prodded them toward the enemy.

Strangely not a monumental mistake, the sight of the burning camels was enough to spook the elephants and send them back into the Indian frontline. The Indian army was trampled by their own elephants, which were equipped with chain mail and poisoned tusks, allowing Timur an easy victory. He was also able to replace his camels with 120 elephants, which he used later in his invasion of India.

The zone is why JB is an all time great. The way he uses it as a tool is so obvious that no one even notices it.

First the zone functions completely different than a m2m defense. In m2m, you can try to take out an opponent by putting a better defender on him, or shading double teams in his direction. The zone has way more options than that. The zone can be employed to take out entire attacking philosophies against it. You want to shoot 3's all day, fine, but they're all gonna be from 3 feet beyond the line. You want to hit the short corners and high post, fine, but your high post guy will have a guard blocking the entry pass to him and a center blocking his shot, while the forwards are pinching in to trap and block shots.

It is so versatile that it can easily be adjusted in games and be just as effective.

Second, since no other major programs play it, JB can recruit basically to fit replacement parts into his zone. A dynamic wing or guard is certainly desired, but a less dynamic, yet long and athletic player will be just as effectively defensively, which is always JBs goal.

JB is basically replaying the plot of money ball, but no one else has caught on and started copying his system.

so thus we open up with the full court press...
genius. release the trunk monkey!!!!

Patience is one thing, but setting fire to your camels—your only means of escape—is quite another. That didn’t stop Timur, descendant of Genghis Khan, from doing so during his capture of Delhi.

When faced by the Sultan and his 120 war elephants in 1398, Timur ordered his terrified, fleeing men to dismount and load their camels with as much hay as possible. As soon as the elephants started their charge, Timur’s forces set their mounts on fire and prodded them toward the enemy.

Strangely not a monumental mistake, the sight of the burning camels was enough to spook the elephants and send them back into the Indian frontline. The Indian army was trampled by their own elephants, which were equipped with chain mail and poisoned tusks, allowing Timur an easy victory. He was also able to replace his camels with 120 elephants, which he used later in his invasion of India.
WOW, tjats more history than an entire week of programming on the History channel, by the way, where do the aliens come in with all that?

It was like the guy doing the Wake game said. I've seen and played a lot of 2-3 zone and Its not a 2-3 zone, I'm not sure what it is."

exactly it is only a 2-3 zone until you get the ball over half court and start to attack, then it morphs into something completely different

Well according to the Wake Forest commentators, we play a 2-3 or a matchup or whatever, so Duke will have to be ready for whatever that is.

Well according to the Wake Forest commentators, we play a 2-3 or a matchup or whatever, so Duke will have to be ready for whatever that is.

Yes the color guy was pretty sure it wasn't a 2-3 zone but he had no idea what it actually was.

The Syracuse 2-3 zone is a whole different story.

The rest of the 2-3's strive to be as good as JB's. There's a reason why coaches fly to him to get tips from the greatest.

WOW, tjats more history than an entire week of programming on the History channel, by the way, where do the aliens come in with all that?
45476944.jpg

I will be surprised if Coach K does not have a trick or two for us.
The guy has 900 wins, who else can say that!!

And to say Coach K hasn't learned as much or more about SU's Zone (compared to other coaches) from having Jimmy B on the Olympic staff is an understatement of epic proportions.

Duke will be as prepared as any opponent we face.

Last edited:
I will be surprised if Coach K does not have a trick or two for us.
The guy has 900 wins, who else can say that!!

JB as well IMO and I think it will be stuff that surprises the fan bases of both teams. Look for K to try and get us on the underneath O.B. plays. They worked on it against Pitt who now plays zone on underneath O.B. and killed them. Not the kind of thing we usually give up though.

And to say Coach K hasn't learned as much or more about SU's Zone from having Jimmy B on the Olympic staff is an understatement of epic proportions.

Duke will be as prepared as any opponent we face.

Coaches always know how to attack the zone (except Creen) its having the players and getting them to do it which is usually the hurdle IMO. Duke has the players and K has had the time to teach them. Will they have success against us? Yes but to what extent? Also I believe we will have our stretches of bothering them on D.

Yes, that's silly. The reason they'll be fine against the zone is because they have the right players and the right coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom