FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

If that happens at some point in the future (and it's a long way off), then what? One of the coaches in the new organization (P5?) will break THE NEW RULES, and it'll 'force' another school(s) to break the rules to compete ... and it'll snowball until we'll be back to the same problem we have now. People break rules whenever high stakes and money are involved. I don't have a problem with a member organization like the NCAA .. where every school has an incentive to make it work and weed out/punish the bad apples.

Glad someone posted this. Makes Fab's footnote investigation seem pretty silly.

I totally agree with you. The real problem with the NCAA is that they represent small schools who actually want amateur athletics as well as big schools who make tens of millions off this business. It is impossible to do what is best for both, they are too fundamentally different, so it is literally impossible for the NCAA to succeed at what they are trying to do.

We need a new version of the NCAA exists just to police the big schools who want to make a big business out of this. That's what I want to see happen, and more importantly, I want rules that make sense for those schools. Sure some schools will break them, but then we will all know those schools are wrong and they should be punished. It would be very different than it is now where you have to break the rules in order to compete.

Also policing 60-70 big schools who are all playing by the same rules is a more easily accomplished job than policing many hundreds of schools all at different levels with different rules.

Did Kansas get mentioned? I wondered if this is why we backed off Billy Preston?
The 8th school is sealed right now. It has to be the top dog.
I doubt it's Kansas though. I think it could be Indiana as Dan Dakich sounded worried.

Lol. We are a paranoid bunch aren't we.
"Tip line"..How many players that got burned by a team will be calling into this tip line. Let's see, who have we sat on the pine lately instead of starting? I think that tip line may be a huge thing. Only saving factor is that the players may not want their names caught up in this. Otherwise a tip line for those unhappy with any particular program. That line will be busy and ringing off the hook.

Come on man. I'll give you Louisville. Different eras and sports re: USC/Miami. SU was busted twice under Boeheim. I still am not seeing anything about Miami being officially charged. USC and Bush getting hit the way they did was a damn joke. Just like SU. Meanwhile, Cam Newton/Auburn go under the radar unscathed.

Sure, they weren't publicly named. They are implicated though. The description of University 7 makes it pretty clear. Private University in Florida with approximately 16,000 students (Miami 16,848) that was competing with Arizona for a recruit.

I get this. Just saying that Miami hoops and USC hoops have never really had a history of cheating in the past. Louisville for sure. Again, more the issue of schadenfraude...
I agree which makes the commitments of top prospects look alarming.

You typically build up and then recruiting gets better.

Miami and USC are football schools and the fact they now were getting several top 100 basketball prospects looks weird. It doesn't shock if we find out the assistants were buying commitments.

Mark we aren't likely involved in this.

JB hasn't been cheating in recruiting players. I don't see him having the patience to pay players to commit.

He is lax and treats his players like pros and isn't very discipline oriented but he wouldn't cheat like this.

We have been losing recruits so I actually think these indictments make him look better.

I get what you're saying, it's just funny seeing these this close to each other

That's bull. 100% bull. No way the NCAA gets to claim to be "hamstrung." If this kind of shady recruiting and cheating was that rampant, the NCAA had ways to find out.
no offense, but your comments read as coming from someone with no experience in investigations.

To quote Tom Cruise from A Few Good Men, "it doesn't matter what I know. It matters what I can prove."

The ways the NCAA is hamstrung are real and significant when it comes to investigations. It's like shooting a water gun at a grizzly bear. The FBI, on the other hand, is more like an assault rifle. The bear is in trouble.

no offense, but your comments read as coming from someone with no experience in investigations.

To quote Tom Cruise from A Few Good Men, "it doesn't matter what I know. It matters what I can prove."

The ways the NCAA is hamstrung are real and significant when it comes to investigations. It's like shooting a water gun at a grizzly bear. The FBI, on the other hand, is more like an assault rifle. The bear is in trouble.
No. Still not accepting that there was nothing the NCAA could have done. They've actively turned a blind eye for decades.

Also, I'm Bruce Wayne. AKA Batman. AKA the world's greatest detective. So I know a thing or two about investigations, thank you very little.