FBI Hoops Trial starting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

FBI Hoops Trial starting

I sincerely wonder if ncaa is paying attention to this at all and if they are. Are they scheming up ways to have everyobe skate or actually punish these schools. Oh wait I know the answer. They will ban ymca programs from Syracuse and take away more wins

couple of thoughts:

1. i bet most, if not all, the schools being discussed will avoid major penalties from this because of plausible deniability. this is the definition of turning a blind eye. this is why the ncaa puts the responsibility on the head coach to monitor and has essentially a strict liability rule
2. pitino may have a strong case against l'ville. there is zero evidence he had actual knowledge of what went on. he certainly has constructive notice but does that give rise to just cause for his firing?

kind of feel bad for bowens. he was just doing what everyone else was and now he's toxic.

Last edited:

come on seth, the template for how this is done is out there. these coaches aren't dumb. the coaches don't know any specifics and don't want to know. the work is done by the shoe companies on a wink wink basis. the only way the coaches get touched is if people like book richardson, tony bland, etc dime on their former bosses but i bet the coaches don't know the specifics of individual deals. merle code was caught on wire tap saying pitino didn't know the details of bowens deal but probably knew something was up.

tenor.gif

Chances bazley took money when he switched from whatever circuit he was on (I think he was AU at the start of the summer?) To mean streets?

Where is this going really? If it was syracuse they would give us the death penalty

Just a couple of thoughts: First, the plausible deniability defense doesn't work with the NCAA. They always counter with the 'lack of institutional control' charge, which can generate some serious sanctions. Second, if the NCAA doesn't act decisively, I really believe that Congressional hearings could be the result. A lot depends on the coverage the trial attracts and the revelations that occur. The higher the profile it acquires, the greater the pressure on the NCAA to act in a meaningful way. Of course, it does have the cover of mid term elections to distract the public, but...

Thank God Bazley didn't come here. Kid is bad news, from the way he ditched Cuse, to his self congratulatory article in the Players' Tribune, to his idiotic decision to go to the G League, to quitting the G League, to being on the take. Getting him would have been like marrying a hooker, immediate fun but ultimately a bad ending.
Hot take

This is all god damn infuriating. The entire college basketball world was clearly aware of all this going on forever, including the NCAA. There is no possibly way they didn't know. And meanwhile we endure 10 year investigations and the annual barrage of articles on the Monday before the NCAA Tournament starts about "Throw a dart at the rule book and you'll find a rule Syracuse broke." It's total expletive.

Just a couple of thoughts: First, the plausible deniability defense doesn't work with the NCAA. They always counter with the 'lack of institutional control' charge, which can generate some serious sanctions. Second, if the NCAA doesn't act decisively, I really believe that Congressional hearings could be the result. A lot depends on the coverage the trial attracts and the revelations that occur. The higher the profile it acquires, the greater the pressure on the NCAA to act in a meaningful way. Of course, it does have the cover of mid term elections to distract the public, but...

Heres the problem w the lack of institutional control. It may not apply when players are paid by shoe companies prior to the time they play for the institution. Difficult to charge the school w that behavior and thats whats being exposed here. Also, no evidence that school or coaches directly invovled,so again, lack of institutional control likely not in play. Lack of institutional control may apply to arizona if there is evidence that assistants were involved in facilitating the payments.

This is all god damn infuriating. The entire college basketball world was clearly aware of all this going on forever, including the NCAA. There is no possibly way they didn't know. And meanwhile we endure 10 year investigations and the annual barrage of articles on the Monday before the NCAA Tournament starts about "Throw a dart at the rule book and you'll find a rule Syracuse broke." It's total expletive.
You're 100% right everyone in the entire chain from the athletes to the school presidents did know. The only problem with that was not one of them would say anything.

How may lawsuits by how many states' attorneys general would the NCAA have faced if they had punished some school for doing this without presenting evidence because everybody knew it was going on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom