FBI Hoops Trial starting | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

FBI Hoops Trial starting

Heres the problem w the lack of institutional control. It may not apply when players are paid by shoe companies prior to the time they play for the institution. Difficult to charge the school w that behavior and thats whats being exposed here. Also, no evidence that school or coaches directly invovled,so again, lack of institutional control likely not in play. Lack of institutional control may apply to arizona if there is evidence that assistants were involved in facilitating the payments.
I'm not 100% certain, but I think that LOIC also includes the concept of "should have known".

Dan Wetzel

✔ @DanWetzel

Dawkins told him Creighton would pay "like $100,000 and a good job, like a lucrative job" via asst coach Preston Murphy

An article about Murphy once he took the Creighton job:

Murphy was the lone holdover from the previous coaching staff upon Dan Hurley’s hiring in March 2012, kept on as an assistant at URI after the school parted company with Jim Baron. Murphy’s major score on the recruiting trail was Rams’ guard E.C. Matthews, a fellow Michigan native who turned in a most valuable player performance as URI clinched just its second Atlantic 10 Tournament title in program history.

“He’s responsible for helping us put this thing together here,” Hurley said. “Recruiting early building blocks of the culture and building the staff and getting the program up to par — Preston was a big part of it.”

I'm not saying...but I'm just sayin

Dan Wetzel

✔ @DanWetzel

Dawkins told him Creighton would pay "like $100,000 and a good job, like a lucrative job" via asst coach Preston Murphy

An article about Murphy once he took the Creighton job:

Murphy was the lone holdover from the previous coaching staff upon Dan Hurley’s hiring in March 2012, kept on as an assistant at URI after the school parted company with Jim Baron. Murphy’s major score on the recruiting trail was Rams’ guard E.C. Matthews, a fellow Michigan native who turned in a most valuable player performance as URI clinched just its second Atlantic 10 Tournament title in program history.

“He’s responsible for helping us put this thing together here,” Hurley said. “Recruiting early building blocks of the culture and building the staff and getting the program up to par — Preston was a big part of it.”

I'm not saying...but I'm just sayin

Best thing about Preston Murphy is when John Wallace did the original tea-bag dunk on him in Hawaii when he was playing for Rhode Island.

Probably my favorite SU dunk until Warrick's 180 degree reverse dunk from 12 just inside the foul line against Seton Hall.

It will be very interesting to see what the NCAA does once the smoke clears, if they do nothing or little to nothing then they will appear toothless and weak. If they come in and clear house then they could do some significant damage to college basketball and the money it makes the NCAA. I got to get my popcorn ready. But definably like the idea of the NCAA sweating through their britches right now with everything going on.

. . . If they come in and clear house then they could do some significant damage to college basketball and the money it makes the NCAA. . . .

Why do you think it will do damage? I am of the other opinion that doing nothing will damage the sport than actually penalizing the cheating programs. I lost faith in the NCAA and college basketball last year after the UNC joke and when this scandal first came out with the only real casualty was Pitino. Other than SU and Wis games, I did not turn on another game throughout the season. For the first time since I can recall, I did not fill out a bracket and, again other than SU games, did not make it a point to watch any of the other games.

It will be very interesting to see what the NCAA does once the smoke clears, if they do nothing or little to nothing then they will appear toothless and weak. If they come in and clear house then they could do some significant damage to college basketball and the money it makes the NCAA. I got to get my popcorn ready. But definably like the idea of the NCAA sweating through their britches right now with everything going on.
The money the NCAA gets from the CBS contract is a fixed amount. It doesn't go up or down over its lifetime based on ratings. They get the same amount for the year regardless of who is or is not in the tournament. The amount paid by CBS can only change when it comes time to renew it. Unless the Final 4 is a steady diet of the Idaho, Wyoming, UC Davis, and Texas States of the world, I seriously doubt the amount will change very much. If you're looking for someone to get the death penalty out of this, forget it. That's just not happening. Could schools get banned from the tournament for 4 or 5 years? Quite possibly. I seriously doubt the ratings even in Arizona will be affected much if the Cats are banned for 4 years.

The money the NCAA gets from the CBS contract is a fixed amount. It doesn't go up or down over its lifetime based on ratings. They get the same amount for the year regardless of who is or is not in the tournament. The amount paid by CBS can only change when it comes time to renew it. Unless the Final 4 is a steady diet of the Idaho, Wyoming, UC Davis, and Texas States of the world, I seriously doubt the amount will change very much. If you're looking for someone to get the death penalty out of this, forget it. That's just not happening. Could schools get banned from the tournament for 4 or 5 years? Quite possibly. I seriously doubt the ratings even in Arizona will be affected much if the Cats are banned for 4 years.

I was speaking more to the long term ratings going forward from an optics perspective. But you could be right, I think it all depends on the magnitude of what comes out. The NFL has had the national anthem issue which reportedly has hurt viewership and earnings (while a very different issue I think some similarities could potentially exist). If things are as bad and blatant as Bowen Sr is insinuating there could be a lot more out there. If so, and it is exposed I could see fans being disenfranchised with the sport. It will be interesting to see.

You're 100% right everyone in the entire chain from the athletes to the school presidents did know. The only problem with that was not one of them would say anything.

How may lawsuits by how many states' attorneys general would the NCAA have faced if they had punished some school for doing this without presenting evidence because everybody knew it was going on?
College Presidents know of, condone, facilitate and hide campus wide academic fraud and serial, institutional sex abuse of minors, and you think they care about shoe companies giving kids money to help put butts in seats and secure wins, which brings larger donations and more money for the President?
Do you live on Sesame Street?

Heres the problem w the lack of institutional control. It may not apply when players are paid by shoe companies prior to the time they play for the institution. Difficult to charge the school w that behavior and thats whats being exposed here. Also, no evidence that school or coaches directly invovled,so again, lack of institutional control likely not in play. Lack of institutional control may apply to arizona if there is evidence that assistants were involved in facilitating the payments.
I am not entirely convinced of this argument. If a school's booster pays an athlete, or even gives a job to a family member, prior to matriculation, the school can be severely sanctioned. Typically, it is the LOIC issue. I know there was a time when members of the UVa support group were cautioned to not communicate with prospects at all. I can't imagine a shoe company, with financial ties to the school, being viewed too much differently than rogue alumni if they're paying prospects.

Any recruits that committed to Louisville that might decomit that we might be interested in? :rolling:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom