FBI Hoops Trial starting | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

FBI Hoops Trial starting

One thing that is very interesting about the prosecution’s case, it hinges on the idea that the schools were in the dark and harmed by the defendants’ behavior. The defense is the schools knew about all this and acquiesced so how could this be fraudulent? Their defense is also the government can’t prove intent because the defendants actually were trying to benefit the schools by sending them good players. This ladder argument seems weak since the defendants obviously knew what they were doing was against the rules and could harm a school significantly. Add to the fact Louisville is in the middle of this and was on probation at the time, further weakens that defense.

With that being said, to me, there is little doubt to me that Pitino, Self, etc all knew about what was going on. (My personal thought is JB and all big time head coaches know the deal too but Syracuse probably avoided this type of shenanigans due to our ongoing probation.) Defendants in criminal cases don’t take the stand. I will be curious, however, in this case, if they do. It seems what actually happened really isn’t being disputed. It is the context and whether a fraud against the school was really being perpetrated. So, why not take the stand anr testify that the schools knew?

Just a hunch, but I think the defendants have a shot at an acquittal here, which is fairly rare in cases prosecuted by the feds.

Last edited:
One thing that is very interesting about the prosecution’s case, it hinges on the idea that the schools were in the dark and harmed by the defendants’ behavior. The defense is the schools knew about all this and acquiesced so how could this be fraudulent? Their defense is also the government can’t prove intent because the defendants actually were trying to benefit the schools by sending them good players. This ladder argument seems weak since the defendants obviously knew what they were doing was against the rules and could harm a school significantly. Add to the fact Louisville is in the middle of this and was on probation at the time, further weakens that defense.

With that being said, to me, there is little doubt to me that Pitino, Self, etc all knew about what was going on. (My personal thought is JB and all big time head coaches know the deal too but Syracuse probably avoided this type of shenanigans due to our ongoing probation.) Defendants in criminal cases don’t take the stand. I will be curious, however, in this case, if they do. It seems what actually happened really isn’t being disputed. It is the context and whether a fraud against the school was really being perpetrated. So, why not take the stand anr testify that the schools knew?

Just a hunch, but I think the defendants have a shot at an acquittal here, which is fairly rare in cases prosecuted by the feds.

I could care less about the criminal consequences for the guys that are currently on trial. For me the trial is the vehicle to force the testimony/evidence out about rules violations. When the trial is done will it be clear enough from the testimony that has been given that, for example, Bill Self and Kansas were involved in multiple serious recruiting violations and that the NCAA needs to take action or alternatively, acknowledge that it isn't going to bother with the idea of amateurism and rules anymore.

At first glance, not bad ideas. I'm sure there are some downside issues, but, not bad.

It was not as bad as I expected from the headline. I actually thought he was saying players could sign a G League contract and then be placed at a NCAA school. In other words, the G League team or affiliated NBA team could choose which college to send the player, which did not sound workable at all.

In the end, I do not have a big issue with kids skipping college to go pro out of high school. With Bazely's early flame out, I am not sure how many kids will rush to try this route, however.

giphy.gif

You just insulted JB. If you think that he would ever authorize pay for players under current rules, then you do not know anything about him.

You just insulted JB. If you think that he would ever authorize pay for players under current rules, then you do not know anything about him.

a. I never said he authorized anything

b. I refuse to believe that a syracuse basketball player has not received an impermisible benefit before

c. Jb is a big guy. He can take it

Last edited:
a. I never said he authorized anything

b. I refuse to believe that a syracuse basketball player has not received an impermisible benefit before

c. Jb is a big guy. He can take it
YOU SAID THAT THE REASON HE DID NOT CHEAT IS BECAUSE WE WERE UNDER SCRUTINY.

YOU SAID THAT THE REASON HE DID NOT CHEAT IS BECAUSE WE WERE UNDER SCRUTINY.

The caps doesnt make it true. I think we avoided borderline situations.

How long have you known Jim and how close are you two?

Meanwhile back in Lawrence; KU Chancellor holds a press conference to announce that the Board of Trustees has decided to hold of on taking any action until they can determine if the NCAA actually cares that they paid recruits and cheated.

Well at least KU knows it was clean during the 15 year run of Roy Williams. I mean, he's dumbfounded this was going on, so obviously he is and has always been clean.

At the end of this, all I want is our 101 wins back. There is no justification to take them away given UNC, everyone dropping money bags, etc. Really irks me.

My second grade son did a 5-minute presentation on Syracuse basketball to his class this week here in IU country, and the graphic on his poster had the orange at number 5 in all-time wins with the 101 missing ones added back. F the NCAA.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 'Souza won't be playing a minute for KU this season. If Preston didn't play last season for eligibility concerns, I don't see how KU can justify playing this kid after all this testimony. If they want to protect their golden goose (Self), they will throw the kid and his handler on the sword. No way KU comes out unscathed. Some action will be taken, but it may not be much.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 'Souza won't be playing a minute for KU this season. If Preston didn't play last season for eligibility concerns, I don't see how KU can justify playing this kid after all this testimony. If they want to protect their golden goose (Self), they will throw the kid and his handler on the sword. No way KU comes out unscathed. Some action will be taken, but it may not be much.
I'd play him and I think we should have played Fab. Let the NCAA take away the championship but I wouldn't try to avoid penalty. Screw them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom