Feb 24 & 25 - Weekend Bubble Schedule | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Feb 24 & 25 - Weekend Bubble Schedule

Ugh -- Oregon with the huge comeback against Zona, now up 4 after 13-0 run (7 min left). A win gives them a 2nd Quad 1 win (matching us) but a better Q1 record (2-5 vs 2-7). Their overall and league records would be better as well (19-10, 9-7), but RPI not as good. You can still make the argument we have a better resume, but close enough for them to be in the hunt down the stretch (too close if they run off a bunch of late season wins).
they lost to ucon - automatically disqualified

The Pac 12 is really weak this year. If you accomplish nothing out of conference, you need to do really well in the conference. 11-7 would not be enough.

But to be sage let Ayton and his $100K take this game over.

The Pac 12 is really weak this year. If you accomplish nothing out of conference, you need to do really well in the conference. 11-7 would not be enough.

But to be sage let Ayton and his $100K take this game over.
you are a bit of a sage! ;)

Interesting factoid on Nebraska. They've covered 17 of their last 19 games which has to be just about the greatest against the spread run in college hoops history. Yet today at home against PSU it's a pick'em.

If Nebraska wins they'll earn a double bye in the B1G tournament.

Palm has been pretty hard on us - the fact that he has us so close to the bubble is good.

This Clemson game is such a HUGE opportunity.

While the committee will know that Grantham is out, that doesn't effect the metrics. Beating the #10 RPI team will still go into our formula. It's a great way to steal a "computer top 10 win" when in reality without Grantham I think Clemson is more like a top 35 team

Palm has been pretty hard on us - the fact that he has us so close to the bubble is good.

While the committee will know that Grantham is out, that doesn't effect the metrics. Beating the #10 RPI team will still go into our formula. It's a great way to steal a "computer top 10 win" when in reality without Grantham I think Clemson is more like a top 35 team
yep, and they've been real shaky the past couple weeks

yep, and they've been real shaky the past couple weeks
Don't forget about BC. Losing to BC, beating Clemson, losing in the first game of the ACCT = not making the NCAA tournament.

I was also going to point out that Clemson has really been driving the struggle bus lately losing 3 of 4. Granted to decent competition, but I would be very disappointed if we took care of business at BC and came up short in the Dome vs Clemson.

Not having to do with the bubble because there are no legitimate possible bid stealers if they don't win the conference tourney. But if you are looking for a conference tournament to wet your appetite starting next Friday, watch the Southern Conference. Yes I'm a Mercer grad so I'm biased, but the top 5 teams in that conference play some fun ball to watch. Realistically, I see only East Tennessee State with a chance to pull an upset in the big dance, but still some fun teams to watch.

Penn St at Nebraska.

Not sure that Nebraska winning is the bad result. I have seen as many if not more people have Penn St in their last 4 group because of the difference in quality wins... and for Nebraska it will only be a quad 3 win, instead of a quad 1 win for Penn St.

To be honest I am not really afraid of either. Their is the thought that 13-5 will sway voters, but in the age of unbalanced schedules conference record has really lost its meaning in my view.

Penn St at Nebraska.

Not sure that Nebraska winning is the bad result. I have seen as many if not more people have Penn St in their last 4 group because of the difference in quality wins... and for Nebraska it will only be a quad 3 win, instead of a quad 1 win for Penn St.

To be honest I am not really afraid of either. Their is the thought that 13-5 will sway voters, but in the age of unbalanced schedules conference record has really lost its meaning in my view.

I watched the entire game.

They are absolutely a legit tournament team. Very athletic, defend and rebound really well. So-so from beyond the arc but they have a balanced attack with several guys that can take it to the hole.

With the win they get the double bye in the B1G tournament. Have covered 18 out of their last 20.

Btw Kenpom has four B1G teams in his top 16, the most of any conference. That conference is nothing special but don't think they're that far off from some of the other power conferences.

They are absolutely a legit tournament team. Very athletic, defend and rebound really well. So-so from beyond the arc but they have a balanced attack with several guys that can take it to the hole.

With the win they get the double bye in the B1G tournament. Have covered 18 out of their last 20.

Btw Kenpom has four B1G teams in his top 16, the most of any conference. That conference is nothing special but don't think they're that far off from some of the other power conferences.

I would be more afraid if the selection committee used KenPom to rank teams, but until they say otherwise (and they do announce their changes), I assume they are still ranking quality of wins based on RPI.

Should they use KP or something else, yes, and it would have made sense this year to implement at the same times as the quads coming in.

The committee doesn’t care about covering. Nebraska has basically no good wins (worse than us, yes) so not so sure about them getting in

Penn St at Nebraska.

Wasn't the unbalanced schedule essentially what screwed us in 2007 or the excuse they used? Basically 10-6 wasn't as impressive considering who we played.

One other point potentially in favour of Nebraska. I saw an interview with the selection chair about a month ago.

All former committees for the past several years have basically outlawed the eye test, and will say that when asked about it. And it generally plays out in their picks.

This was the first time in a while I saw a chair say that the "eye test" at times has to be considered. I find the eye test wrong because certain styles look better than others, it is highly subject to sample size (if you watch a team play the wrong night), and nobody can possibly watch the majority of games of every team.

I would rather go back to emphasizing the back half of the schedule, rather than go to the eye test, if you want to put in teams who are playing well.

Maybe they look at KP/BPI, since Nebraska is an aberration.

And if they do, they will be unimpressed with what they find. #59 in KP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom