FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

At least Ghana is without Muntari, right?
Did anyone catch the body language on the Portugal players after the game? They look like they lost. They have nothing to contribute to this WC and just want to go home. They were done. Asking Portugal to beat Ghana is a big ask.

8FEqJmQ.jpg

Best chance we have IMO short of Germany doing the USA a solid and being fine with a draw would be Portugal-Ghana playing a 1-0 game.

Ghana is going to DESTROY Portugal IMO. Our defense isn't good enough to keep a clean sheet we are going to need goals against Germany.

Watching the highlights again. Forgot that Bradley missed basically a 75% open net...and gave away the ball at the end.

On the bright side, if somebody told me that Jermaine Jones would outplay Michael Bradley in our first two games i'd guess we got smoked in both games and were eliminated.

I can only imagine how tough we'd be if Bradley & Jones both played to their best form in the same game!

That sub at 90 minutes and time wasting that ensued is why 4 minutes of stoppage time became 5 minutes. I don't want to hear the US squad isn't worthy of its 13th ranking. We are legit and Group G is clearly the best group and a true group of death.

That sub at 90 minutes and time wasting that ensued is why 4 minutes of stoppage time became 5 minutes. I don't want to hear the US squad isn't worthy of its 13th ranking. We are legit and Group G is clearly the best group and a true group of death.
Checking around with foreign analysis after this game and consensus is USA is legit.

Actually like the USA's chances if they got to play Belgium. Even though they housed us in Cleveland we have shown improvements. Our biggest weakness is our back 4 I would start Brooks over Besler against Germany. FIFA can't do anything if the USA-Germany play a 0-0 game. I hope they game is pLayed in the middle of the field all of the game.

Actually like the USA's chances if they got to play Belgium. Even though they housed us in Cleveland we have shown improvements. Our biggest weakness is our back 4 I would start Brooks over Besler against Germany. FIFA can't do anything if the USA-Germany play a 0-0 game. I hope they game is pLayed in the middle of the field all of the game.
Besler has been solid despite that tweaked hammy. I say keep him and start Brooks over Cameron.

Although my son was ready to kick a hole in the TV because of our horrid last minute defense, I can't blame them, Bradley, etc. When watching the highlights we clearly dodged SEVERAL bullets in that game. The post, and then Howard, saved us just before half. It could have been 2-0 and lights out.

In the greater scheme of things, we have 4 friggin points in the "group of death" after two matches...and we beat probably the best team in it. I would have signed up for 4 points after two matches three weeks ago, for sure. Sure this was a gut wrenching heart breaker...but we didn't lose. It would have been an historic victory for the USMNT, qualifying after only two matches, but that's it. We can still qualify and the stars are still aligned.

Ghana is by no means a shoo-in, and Portugal is not going to lay down and die. Pride is a big thing, especially for a nation like Portugal. Heck, their coach just stood there with a sigh of relief on his face after the goal, almost like his job was just saved. They are going to fight for that 3 points on Thursday just so they don't finish last. I just don't see Ghana running roughshod on Portugal, especially with one of their top players out.

We still hold the cards and control our destiny. Gotta keep the faith.

PeteCalvin said:
Although my son was ready to kick a hole in the TV because of our horrid last minute defense, I can't blame them, Bradley, etc. When watching the highlights we clearly dodged SEVERAL bullets in that game. The post, and then Howard, saved us just before half. It could have been 2-0 and lights out.

In the greater scheme of things, we have 4 friggin points in the "group of death" after two matches...and we beat probably the best team in it. I would have signed up for 4 points after two matches three weeks ago, for sure. Sure this was a gut wrenching heart breaker...but we didn't lose. It would have been an historic victory for the USMNT, qualifying after only two matches, but that's it. We can still qualify and the stars are still aligned.

Ghana is by no means a shoo-in, and Portugal is not going to lay down and die. Pride is a big thing, especially for a nation like Portugal. Heck, their coach just stood there with a sigh of relief on his face after the goal, almost like his job was just saved. They are going to fight for that 3 points on Thursday just so they don't finish last. I just don't see Ghana running roughshod on Portugal, especially with one of their top players out.

Amen. Let's go boys. Thursday will be fun

I think we can draw Germany but I would bet a lot on Ghana hammering Portugal. Portugal looked depressed after this match and stole that point in the last minute. Portugal is DONE we need the USA to score a goal against Germany and hope for a draw.

Alsacs said:

Although a couple of teams haven't played up to their works ranking, Group D is pretty tough too and eared the toughest before the games were played.

I am getting depressing flashbacks to 2008 Olympics. The US under 23 squad beat Japan 1-0 and then were ahead 2-1 in their 2nd match with the Netherlands then let it a last second free kick goal and had a 2-2 draw. We then played flat in the 3rd match and didn't advance. We need to prevent this from happening this year. Go Portugal but we need to get a draw against Germany.

I
Although a couple of teams haven't played up to their works ranking, Group D is pretty tough too and eared the toughest before the games were played.
Italy hasn't impressed me. Costa Rica, Uruguay with Suarez look real good. I think our group is slightly better but I can see group D as the only one close. If Ghana get thru to knockout round I think they could go real far and be a legit contender they have been the best team in the group thru 2 matches IMO.

There is absolutely no reason for the result of USA-Germany to be anything other than 0-0. Hopefully there are no complete morons on either side.