FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

There is absolutely no reason for the result of USA-Germany to be anything other than 0-0. Hopefully there are no complete morons on either side.
Over/Under is 0.

donniesyracuse said:
There is absolutely no reason for the result of USA-Germany to be anything other than 0-0. Hopefully there are no complete morons on either side.

Agree if that's what it is at half. The second half will be a snooze fest. Early on I think both teams try to score.

Checking around with foreign analysis after this game and consensus is USA is legit.
We are on the cusp of being a perennial top-10 team. It's easy to get swept up this time of year, but the fan support is not a fad and its predominantly young people. The American Outlaws group is only growing and our fans have done an incredible job backing this team over the last 10 years. Also, this roster is constructed to only get better. My main worry is in finding a future replacement for Jozy over the next few years, but the young talent on this roster is so exciting. Yedlin showed flashes of why he's so highly regarded, and someone I see finding a future on the roster of an upper half European side over the next few years. Julian Green will press for a spot on Bayern's senior squad this year, but will likely spend a year on loan to another mid-table Bundesliga side. Besler has been impressive and more athletic than I thought, and Cameron has been very good except for his horrible gaffe. Our Under-21 side has some incredibly promising kids as well, and I think our pressing style will only get more effective as we add athletes like Green, Yedlin, Diskerud, and Johannsson to the mix permanently. Get on the USMNT bandwagon now because it'll be worth it.

I'm fairly new to this and need some clarification:
So, the coaches will never admit to playing for a draw. However, the basic strategy to playing for 0-0 is that both teams move on, so why risk injury and wear and tear on the players. Correct? If this happens, how unsportsmanlike is it considered?

Germany are to professional to just let it go 0-0. It would be great but I expect needing at least 1 goal to draw. In 2006, Italy only needed a draw against the Czech Republic to advance. Czech Republic would have advanced with a draw because of GD but the USA-Ghana got Italy help when they didn't need too and Ghana got thru by beating us 2-1. We néed a goal on Thursday.

donniesyracuse said:
why?

Because both teams will feel the need to have a goal in their back pocket just in case.

If we get to halftime tied then maybe we see a bunch of ole passes in the 2nd half but it won't be a snoozefest for 90 minutes. Germany are too professional the USA helped Mexico in CONCACAF so it's not going to be easy.

I am asking an actual question. I am not worried about FIFA. I am curious what general opinion would be.
I'm sure the Portuguese and Ghanians would be mad, but I'd rather be through than going home. Everyone who follows the sport knows what a draw would do for each side, and bitterness would likely only come from countries who've been eliminated.

Alsacs said:
Germany are to professional to just let it go 0-0.
You call it "professional," I call it "stupid." Why risk injury or yellow cards?

I'm sure the Portuguese and Ghanians would be mad, but I'd rather be through than going home. Everyone who follows the sport knows what a draw would do for each side, and bitterness would likely only come from countries who've been eliminated.
Thanks. And playing for a tie also helps avoid injuries, correct?

Absolutely. Germany has nothing to play for, really. With a draw they advance and win the group on GD. They have their eyes on the big prize. I wouldn't be surprised to see this game go into halftime at 0-0 or 1-1 and see Germany make a couple of subs to get more guys some run. There is no real strategy necessary for this one.

Unless Germany really wants to show up Klinsmann, or Portugal has lost all self respect and allows Ghana to score 4 goals, we should advance.

You call it "professional," I call it "stupid." Why risk injury or yellow cards?
Again read what I wrote about 2006 when the USA-Ghana needed help from Italy and the Italians helped both sides with only needing a draw.
It's not stupid if you feel you have the better team. If we get to halftime or 60 minutes tied then we may see the draw but Germany isn't going to play safe for 90 and risk losing.

I am asking an actual question. I am not worried about FIFA. I am curious what general opinion would be.

As Landon Donovan stated in his post-game, situations like this happen all the time, and the smart move is to take the draw. It's not collusion or match-fixing. It's sound strategy that is practiced in every league around the globe. Like LD said, Ghana and Portugal wouldn't have to complain if they got it done on the field.

Alsacs said:
Germany isn't going to play safe for 90 and risk losing.
it's not a risk if both teams agree to the draw ahead of time. It's the only smart strategy for both teams.

The thing that struck me is when they said Germany can't do anything stupid because they could be the ones going home just like the USA.

I think this team, playing the way they did against Portugal minus the 2 mind numbing mistakes can beat Germany. They have just as much at stake as we do and maybe they'd rather take a Gentlemans draw than test a USA squad that has looked strong against 2 good teams.

it's not a risk if both teams agree to the draw ahead of time. It's the only smart strategy for both teams.
If the draw happens I will be happy but this isn't obvious and I don't expect Germany to play 90 minutes 0-0. Klose may have last chance to break Ronaldo's WC goal record. We will have to earn our draw.

MassOrange said:
How is the next round seeded?

A1 v B2, A2 v B1, C1 v D2, C2 v D1, etc.

Alsacs said:
If the draw happens I will be happy but this isn't obvious and I don't expect Germany to play 90 minutes 0-0. Klose may have last chance to break Ronaldo's WC goal record. We will have to earn our draw.
if it isn't obvious, then it's a shame. Why are humans so adverse to logic?

We are on the cusp of being a perennial top-10 team. It's easy to get swept up this time of year, but the fan support is not a fad and its predominantly young people. The American Outlaws group is only growing and our fans have done an incredible job backing this team over the last 10 years. Also, this roster is constructed to only get better. My main worry is in finding a future replacement for Jozy over the next few years, but the young talent on this roster is so exciting. Yedlin showed flashes of why he's so highly regarded, and someone I see finding a future on the roster of an upper half European side over the next few years. Julian Green will press for a spot on Bayern's senior squad this year, but will likely spend a year on loan to another mid-table Bundesliga side. Besler has been impressive and more athletic than I thought, and Cameron has been very good except for his horrible gaffe. Our Under-21 side has some incredibly promising kids as well, and I think our pressing style will only get more effective as we add athletes like Green, Yedlin, Diskerud, and Johannsson to the mix permanently. Get on the USMNT bandwagon now because it'll be worth it.
Agreed. A good friend of mine heads up one of those groups in Los Angeles. He might be the most charismatic guy I know. He sent me videos of their turnouts and they were incredible. Soccer is absolutely growing in this country. This isn't just a WC thing.