FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

We're gonna need help from the officials and/or Portugal/Ghana. I hope I'm wrong but I'm feeling 2-1 or 3-1 to Germany.

First problem is we're not made to play for the draw. We're built to attack. We're mistake prone and Germany is great on offense. They play a high line in the back four built to create mistakes and opportunities. The stuff about Klinsman's cozy relationship with the German national team is over-rated. He wasn't Mr. Popular when he ran things there. Winning papered the cracks. They have motivation. I could see us chasing the game if we continue our tradition of going down early to powerhouse teams. That's when the short turnaround time and their extra day off/no injuries works against us. Also, I can't see Germany going into the knockout round draw/draw or draw/loss.

On the positive side, Germany isn't built for draws either and their defense is a little plodding on the outside. It's probably their undoing later. F. Johnson is so key tomorrow. I hope he'll get a few shots on the counter attack.

Beyond that, these guys are tailor-made to take advantage of a panicky defense. I'm hoping for the best (maybe another 2-2 draw?) and prepared for the worst.
I'm with you. Drawing Germany is a tough ask, and our only real hope for keeping them off the scoreboard will involve some uncharacteristic sloppy finishing from one of the most crisp teams in the world. I just keep praying that Ghana and Portugal play to a draw and we go through with 4 points. If we get a point from this match I'll be shocked, to be honest. I'll be paying much closer attention to the other match.

duck.gif

Well, I think Portugal is going to get pounded. So we better come up with something in our game.

I guess Muntari and Boateng are not playing today so maybe portugal has more of a shot.

Ghana is in disarray right now. No Boateng or Muntari both were sent home. The Ghana players want some of their 8 million dollars they were promised from the Ghana FA today or they will rebel. I actually think Portugal has a good shot to win or atleast keep it a 1 goal game. If Ghana doesn't win we are in great shape as Portugal is -5 GA behind us.

Does the Univision coverage still work? Im at my office and have Directtv for internet so I cant watch the ESPN 3 coverage.

The weather could be a huge factor. Apparently, the conditions are atrocious and the field is soaked with water. This could help the USA as Germany could just say okay fine the weather sucks we don't want to risk injury we will play for a safe draw.

Ghana is in disarray right now. No Boateng or Muntari both were sent home. The Ghana players want some of their 8 million dollars they were promised from the Ghana FA today or they will rebel. I actually think Portugal has a good shot to win or atleast keep it a 1 goal game. If Ghana doesn't win we are in great shape as Portugal is -5 GA behind us.
All I want is Portugal to win. If they win we have some buffer to Germany.

All I want is Portugal to win. If they win we have some buffer to Germany.
If the weather is a factor that helps no matter what. German players won't want to risk injury if the pitch is horrible and know that a draw will win them the group.

Also, Greece-Costa Rica are playing in the stadium on Sunday that the USA-Germany are playing today so they will play this game. If the weather sucks it helps us a lot and Ghana-Portugal won't matter.

The weather could be a huge factor. Apparently, the conditions are atrocious and the field is soaked with water. This could help the USA as Germany could just say okay fine the weather sucks we don't want to risk injury we will play for a safe draw.
I just saw that. I hope they have to push the game back a day. It would be huge if we got another day and Portugal/Ghana played today. We'd know the exact situation we're in... I can hope, right?... Bad weather is a great variable for us.

Suarez suspended 9 matches and four months. Only international games. League games will be decided separately.

Suarez suspended 9 matches and four months. Only international games. League games will be decided separately.
Deadspin reporting that the ban encompasses all activity, including Liverpool or wherever he's sold to.

Where is Cameron in the lineup!? Gonzalez is in...

Also no Bedoya, Brad Davis is in..

Love no Bedoya I don't like slow footed Gonzalez against Germany.

I liked the way Davis played in the send off games. Not a fan of Gonzales though. Other than Cameron's screw up last game I thought he has been playing very well. I feel like Gonzales is an oaph.

I'm surprised that FIFA's authority extends to the English FA. I understand the UCL ban, though.

If an NBA player went crazy at the Olympics, could FIBA suspend them from NBA games?

I'm surprised that FIFA's authority extends to the English FA. I understand the UCL ban, though.

If an NBA player went crazy at the Olympics, could FIBA suspend them from NBA games?
FIBA doesn't have anywhere near the power that FIFA has.

Ronaldo has put three good shots on the goal so far. Only stellar keeping has kept the Portuguese off the scoreboard.

Explain to me what Michael Bradley has contributed the last three games?

Maybe he was decent in game 2, but the final 5 minutes of the game take it away.

I don't know much soccer, but he seems like he is killing us.