Final Count on New Season Ticket Sales | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Final Count on New Season Ticket Sales

How Many New Season Tickets Added by Clemson Kickoff?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ive been going to games since 1980 when i ( and The Dome) was born. Ive only seen legit student sections in the. 80s and 90s. Times have changed since then sure... but let's not act like they are trying to do anything but get on tv or the kiss cam these days. This discussion is boring now.

Why does your complaints only apply to students and not the general population?

This thread is exhausting and yet I keep opening it with the hope of seeing an update on the number of tickets sold.

The fact SU has a 90+% retention rate along with possibly up to 10,000 more season tix sold is such a great thing for the football program and yet people still complain.

Football was fun last year. But for the vast majority of the last 18 years it was something to endure. The fans aren't going to come back overnight, but I think we have ample evidence that they are coming back, and that should be celebrated.

This thread is exhausting and yet I keep opening it with the hope of seeing an update on the number of tickets sold.

The fact SU has a 90+% retention rate along with possibly up to 10,000 more season tix sold is such a great thing for the football program and yet people still complain.

Football was fun last year. But for the vast majority of the last 18 years it was something to endure. The fans aren't going to come back overnight, but I think we have ample evidence that they are coming back, and that should be celebrated.

Will be interesting to see when the downward trend of performance and watchability begins to affect the men's basketball program and season tickets. We are trending that way.

I was a student from 85-89. There were two different phenomenon in the Dome crowd those years that the admin (rightly & memorably) cracked down on.

One was the 'JAP' chant - where random girls wearing Benatton and a hair clip would get pointed at by the crowd (mainly students) chanting "JAP, JAP, JAP". Obviously this was offensive and had to be eradicated. It was slightly amusing when it first started, but then got way too popular and crossed the line. It was a very bad look.

The next one, JB actively helped eliminate. After an opponent made FT's while facing the student section, the entire section would chant in unison "AH SH--, F%CK YOU A$$HOLE". In one of the early schedule cup-cake games, JB put an end to it by essentially telling the refs to keep assessing us with technical fouls until it stopped I remember maybe 4-5 additional free throws until 'we' finally stopped. I can't tell you who the opponent was or even what year (it was either the 85/86 season or the 86/87 season) but it happened. Unless I was in an alternate universe.

Will be interesting to see when the downward trend of performance and watchability begins to affect the men's basketball program and season tickets. We are trending that way.

Our hoops team hasn't had a losing season in nearly 5 decades.
And in JB's entire tenure, has only had 3 losing conference seasons, and all of those were just a game or 2 below .500.

We are INCREDIBLY SPOILED as a hoops fanbase.

And besides, what the hell else is there to do for fun on a random weeknight or Saturday in Jan or Feb in Syracuse anyway??

Our hoops team hasn't had a losing season in nearly 5 decades.
And in JB's entire tenure, has only had 3 losing conference seasons, and all of those were just a game or 2 below .500.

We are INCREDIBLY SPOILED as a hoops fanbase.

And besides, what the hell else is there to do for fun on a random weeknight or Saturday in Jan or Feb in Syracuse anyway??

I was just asking the question... I know it's an inelastic good for most of the consumers in CNY. Football, I think, probably was too for a period.

The student section could be the 300 level above the tunnel. They haven't shown they deserve the 100 level is my point. Hopefully they change that.

How about the people who buy tix on the away side, 100 level, between the 20s, and show up for 1 game, maybe 2 games, a year? Where do they fall on your "deserve" scale?

Im on board with students getting in free. They still wouldn't fill the section for football or get there on time is the issue.

If every student that bought a season ticket actually left the pregame parties and came into the Dome no one would be talking about student attendance. Free is not the answer.

Just heard from the best source possible that we are almost literally one phone call away from officially hitting 8,000 new season tickets. I expect we will end up very close to 35,000 season tickets this year including students and corporate plans.

Just heard from the best source possible that we are almost literally one phone call away from officially hitting 8,000 new season tickets. I expect we will end up very close to 35,000 season tickets this year including students and corporate plans.
Love this. Let's get to 9-10k before season starts.

Love this. Let's get to 9-10k before season starts.

10k was a stretch goal back when seasons first went on sale. Even the staff though that was laughably out of reach. Now it would be an upset if we don't hit it but we did recently lose one of our biggest assets in the marketing and ticket sales organization.

10k was a stretch goal back when seasons first went on sale. Even the staff though that was laughably out of reach. Now it would be an upset if we don't hit it but we did recently lose one of our biggest assets in the marketing and ticket sales organization.

And why did we lose that asset?

I don't know, LSU's band playing 'Neck' and Alabama playing 'Dixieland Delight' over the load speakers always looked fun to me.

Obviously NSFW:

Dixieland Delight Returns (Missouri at Alabama 10/13/18)

I personally am a fan of chants like the Hey Song but I understand parents may dislike them because of their vulgarity... but I LOVED hearing them as a kid. I knew there were words I couldn't say but everyone once in a while I could sneak one by my dad or he decided he was okay with it for the game. It's a college sporting event, there's going to be some vulgar phrases used. There's obviously a line for what can and cannot be said but everyone wants to shift that line to where everything is a PG-rated family affair. I disagree with it. I can understand the other side but I think the core of the issue is parents wanting to avoid any sort of difficult conversation with their kids and shelter them from anything that might be mildly uncomfortable.

Also, hearing someone say SHI* is not remotely comparable to a Tarantino film where the blood and violence can have a genuine psychological impact on a child. I'm sure kids hear their parents cuss every time they stub their toe and aren't damaged for it. That's an asinine analogy to infer.
The point is you can have the same chants without the vulgarity, and it's not about not wanting to have difficult discussions with kids. That's a ridiculous assertion. And hearing a parent swear as a reaction to pain isn't the same as organizing vulgarity in a chant, so I suppose your analogy is just as asinine.

Kids hear way worse things on the bus and fortnite and so on. Bring back they hey chant.
You're right. Because the kids saying them learn that it's acceptable in other contexts. The kids that shouldn't have to hear the vulgarity at games shouldn't even be playing fortnite. I'm not talking about high school kids. I'm talking about elementery school kids.

We talk all the time about wanting to turn little kids into lifelong fans, then we want to promote/enact/revive traditions at games that they can't/shouldn't participate in.

And families should be able to bring little kids without having to hear a huge crowd chant it.
I don't disagree with you at all. I think the students could be more creative than that.

Struggling to find an article, but I assure you this happened. I believe non-students complained the sour sitrus society was too loud and the Dome told them to remove the drums and quiet the horns. JB caught wind of it in the halftime locker room and said he wouldn’t bring his team out until it was resolved. He then came out clapping and encouraging the student section to be louder. I believe it was around the early 2000’s. Maybe someone else can help with info.
i think the sour citrus society should always have a drummer. A loud one in fact.

My seats freshman year were with my back to the wall at the top of the Dome. The “incentive” was that if you keep buying, maybe you’ll have a good seat four years from now. Almost stopped me dead in my tracks. That’s when I met some fellow students with access to better tickets and after my sophomore year, I stopped buying all together as other students granted me access to even better free tickets.
I suppose the band should also be removed from their seats, as I never see them on TV at halftime when the team returns to the tunnel.
You are fantastic at putting words into people's mouths that don't agree with your narrative. Slow golf clap sir.

Why does your complaints only apply to students and not the general population?
I have complaints about both. My complaints with the general public arent related to this discussion.

How about the people who buy tix on the away side, 100 level, between the 20s, and show up for 1 game, maybe 2 games, a year? Where do they fall on your "deserve" scale?
I think they are ridiculous as well. My thought is if your tickets aren't used and you buy tickets in a well viewed area, then after year one you have your tickets go up in prive. Something has to be done about tbe optics. There should be an option that those seats can be given away to charity if the person doesn't plan on attending. Anyone have ideas?

If every student that bought a season ticket actually left the pregame parties and came into the Dome no one would be talking about student attendance. Free is not the answer.
Then i propose your tickets are given to students willing to go if you don't show up by kickoff. They could send an alert out to interested students. Something could be done. Same with regular season ticket holders.

I have complaints about both. My complaints with the general public arent related to this discussion.

Well it should. Thousands stay at their tailgate parties and come in late. I know plenty of them and I’m not talking about the fine lot gang. Who do you think owns all that silver we've seen every game?

Just a couple years ago.

You are fantastic at putting words into people's mouths that don't agree with your narrative. Slow golf clap sir.
What words am I putting in whose mouth? You said students don't deserve 100 level seats because of how it looks when the team comes out of the tunnel. I said punishing them to worse seats won't work as I have been forced to sit in the 300s as a student. The result was I stopped spend the extra money to go. I then asked with a fair amount of sarcasm if the band should also be punished for not being in their seats as the team heads in at half time. It's the same TV optic, especially when the half ends with a FG attempt where they once sat. Are you no longer saying that your complaint is about the TV optics of students not arriving early?

It is apparent to me that you are all for punishing people who do not arrive in their seat when you think they should be there. That is just my assessment of your posts. By the way I understand your rhetoric, the 30,000 people who bought tickets last year, especially the season ticket holders among them, should be ineligible to buy equal or better seats this year. They should somehow be charged double for worse seats as punishment. Somehow, I gather you believe this will improve the look on TV. The way I see it, it will result in 5,000 people at kickoff all in the upper deck. Yes this is a bit flip, but I feel like getting my point/understanding of your posts across faster by doing so.

An individual(s) using intermittent foul language is one thing. A crowd chanting something vulgar (something intended for everyone to take part in), and the university supporting it, is something else.

I completely understand kids can't be shielded from everything, but that doesn't mean I'm taking a 6 year old to a Quintin Tarantino movie.

Please explain to me how vulgarity makes a chant more fun. Sports is about fun, right?

What is this world coming to when the Phrase, "Hey you suck" is considered vulgar. People need to get thicker skin.