Final Count on New Season Ticket Sales | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Final Count on New Season Ticket Sales

How Many New Season Tickets Added by Clemson Kickoff?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's basketball bro. We are talking about football. Thanks for playing though.
Students are students bro. Why do they show up to one and not the other? I promise it's not because they are relegated to the upper tier with a penalty price for not showing on time.

I was a student from 85-89. There were two different phenomenon in the Dome crowd those years that the admin (rightly & memorably) cracked down on.

One was the 'JAP' chant - where random girls wearing Benatton and a hair clip would get pointed at by the crowd (mainly students) chanting "JAP, JAP, JAP". Obviously this was offensive and had to be eradicated. It was slightly amusing when it first started, but then got way too popular and crossed the line. It was a very bad look.

The next one, JB actively helped eliminate. After an opponent made FT's while facing the student section, the entire section would chant in unison "AH SH--, F%CK YOU A$$HOLE". In one of the early schedule cup-cake games, JB put an end to it by essentially telling the refs to keep assessing us with technical fouls until it stopped I remember maybe 4-5 additional free throws until 'we' finally stopped. I can't tell you who the opponent was or even what year (it was either the 85/86 season or the 86/87 season) but it happened. Unless I was in an alternate universe.
College kids should be able to chant and have fun, and occasional (mild) swearing isn't going to set off the fire alarms. That said, obviously kids of all ages attending games, so students and adults should set appropriate examples. Students who leave the Frats on game day will see one of the best FB programs we've had here in a generation.

Last edited:
Well it should. Thousands stay at their tailgate parties and come in late. I know plenty of them and I’m not talking about the fine lot gang. Who do you think owns all that silver we've seen every game?

Just a couple years ago.

I think thousands is quite an exaggeration. I believe the 50% concessions helped quite a bit from what i saw. They should advertise that better.

The problem with the old Hey chant was that it came about during the Jake/Buzz era, when the preferred method to dealing with things was to shut them down. I suspect if it happened today that JW would find a way to work with the students to introduce more appropriate language while keeping the spirit of the cheer alive.

I enjoyed it at the time because SU fans are soooooooo uniquely terrible about chants. But it was also really derivative, aside from the obscenity.

Hopefully our renewed football success will breed more chant and cheer creativity.

What words am I putting in whose mouth? You said students don't deserve 100 level seats because of how it looks when the team comes out of the tunnel. I said punishing them to worse seats won't work as I have been forced to sit in the 300s as a student. The result was I stopped spend the extra money to go. I then asked with a fair amount of sarcasm if the band should also be punished for not being in their seats as the team heads in at half time. It's the same TV optic, especially when the half ends with a FG attempt where they once sat. Are you no longer saying that your complaint is about the TV optics of students not arriving early?

It is apparent to me that you are all for punishing people who do not arrive in their seat when you think they should be there. That is just my assessment of your posts. By the way I understand your rhetoric, the 30,000 people who bought tickets last year, especially the season ticket holders among them, should be ineligible to buy equal or better seats this year. They should somehow be charged double for worse seats as punishment. Somehow, I gather you believe this will improve the look on TV. The way I see it, it will result in 5,000 people at kickoff all in the upper deck. Yes this is a bit flip, but I feel like getting my point/understanding of your posts across faster by doing so.
Your ridiculous band statement. Get real.

What words am I putting in whose mouth? You said students don't deserve 100 level seats because of how it looks when the team comes out of the tunnel. I said punishing them to worse seats won't work as I have been forced to sit in the 300s as a student. The result was I stopped spend the extra money to go. I then asked with a fair amount of sarcasm if the band should also be punished for not being in their seats as the team heads in at half time. It's the same TV optic, especially when the half ends with a FG attempt where they once sat. Are you no longer saying that your complaint is about the TV optics of students not arriving early?

It is apparent to me that you are all for punishing people who do not arrive in their seat when you think they should be there. That is just my assessment of your posts. By the way I understand your rhetoric, the 30,000 people who bought tickets last year, especially the season ticket holders among them, should be ineligible to buy equal or better seats this year. They should somehow be charged double for worse seats as punishment. Somehow, I gather you believe this will improve the look on TV. The way I see it, it will result in 5,000 people at kickoff all in the upper deck. Yes this is a bit flip, but I feel like getting my point/understanding of your posts across faster by doing so.

Oy. Never mind. I don't have the energy. We aren't on the same page.

Students are students bro. Why do they show up to one and not the other? I promise it's not because they are relegated to the upper tier with a penalty price for not showing on time.

I don't understand your point. You are agreeing with my point that students don't come to football games...

I don't understand your point. You are agreeing with my point that students don't come to football games...
Boy, talk about that golf clap. I don’t think I ever said that they do. If you are asserting that football and basketball are different, I’m asking you what makes that so, because the same students that don’t show up on time for football are praised by the basketball team for their support, even seen as important with the ability to sway the game’s result. You would rather subjugate them to the upper tier or spread them into smaller less effective groups around the stadium as punishment for not treating the football game with the same reverence you claim to. You see them as the problem that needs to be cut out rather than hold the recent history of the program culpable for their absence and slow return.

Allow me a moment for a fun comparative anecdote. Bald Eagles are slowly returning to Lake Onondaga. Would you not put at least some of the blame on the fish, or the corporations that polluted the lake? To read your posts, I think you would blame them for not being there in larger flocks, or trap them and bring them to Canada as punishment.

Somehow I don't think NJCuse and Macky are going to come to any sort of agreement. So if you guys want to agree to disagree and we can maybe use the thread for the initial purpose of updates on new season ticket sales. Just a suggestion. I can always use the Ignore Thread feature also.

Boy, talk about that golf clap. I don’t think I ever said that they do. If you are asserting that football and basketball are different, I’m asking you what makes that so, because the same students that don’t show up on time for football are praised by the basketball team for their support, even seen as important with the ability to sway the game’s result. You would rather subjugate them to the upper tier or spread them into smaller less effective groups around the stadium as punishment for not treating the football game with the same reverence you claim to. You see them as the problem that needs to be cut out rather than hold the recent history of the program culpable for their absence and slow return.

Allow me a moment for a fun comparative anecdote. Bald Eagles are slowly returning to Lake Onondaga. Would you not put at least some of the blame on the fish, or the corporations that polluted the lake? To read your posts, I think you would blame them for not being there in larger flocks, or trap them and bring them to Canada as punishment.
Haha. What a reach... but you also made my case that they aren't fans. They only show up for ranked teams. Lets stop arguing though. Ill say that I hope im proven wrong this year and they fill the student section every game.

Somehow I don't think NJCuse and Macky are going to come to any sort of agreement. So if you guys want to agree to disagree and we can maybe use the thread for the initial purpose of updates on new season ticket sales. Just a suggestion. I can always use the Ignore Thread feature also.
My apologies. My passion for everything Syracuse can take me to a level which is outlandish, when I feel that people aren't real. Ive come across too many students that have zero knowledge of the history of our cherished University. When people like that talk down on the program and don't show they respect the program and its rich tradition it infuriates me. Ill step down now. Apologies to the board.

Haha. What a reach... but you also made my case that they aren't fans. They only show up for ranked teams.

Sounds like all of our fans then. Did you know last year attendance increased by about 8% overall and student attendance increased by 30%+. You should be banging on the public instead.

Sounds like all of our fans then. Did you know last year attendance increased by about 8% overall and student attendance increased by 30%+. You should be banging on the public instead.
We don't have the stadium capacity for public to increase 30%, so that argument is pointless.

We don't have the stadium capacity for public to increase 30%, so that argument is pointless.

What is this world coming to when the Phrase, "Hey you suck" is considered vulgar. People need to get thicker skin.

I’m thinking it was more about the “____ ‘em Up! ____’em up! Go SU! We’re gonna kick the ____outta you!” part that followed that got it banned.

IMO that part was unnecessary and most of the crowd didn’t know what was being said anyway. The “hey! You suck!” part was the important part, and an unfortunate sacrifice.

Sincere question, do you know, from memory, the words to the SU fight song and alma mater? I’m not trying to “gotcha”, I’m genuinely curious.

Sincere question, do you know, from memory, the words to the SU fight song and alma mater? I’m not trying to “gotcha”, I’m genuinely curious.
I can't remember my mother's bday. Does that answer your question? I have however traveled stupid amounts to see Syracuse football lose an incredible amount of games when I lived out of the area. Didnt miss a single home game and i was 5 hours away. Is that helpful?

I can't remember my mother's bday. Does that answer your question? I have however traveled stupid amounts to see Syracuse football lose an incredible amount of games when I lived out of the area. Didnt miss a single home game and i was 5 hours away. Is that helpful?

Yep, thanks.

It's much harder to grow a larger number percentage wise.

I am sure you know that though.

It's much harder to grow a larger number percentage wise.

Overall attendance has been a big issue. Read the article I posted above. It’s not just the students.

Overall attendance has been a big issue. Read the article I posted above. It’s not just the students.

Actually I do, that article is the same as several others written about CFB attendance being down and of course Syracuse is not immune to the trend and wasn't back then either.

My point was that it is easier to grow a student ticket holding body of (guessing here) 2000 kids (30%=600 increase) than to grow a total fanbase of 30K (30%=9K).

Your posted article doesn't change that. Is there blame for both the locals and the students, sure. But it appears that based on the STH retention and the increase to date the locals are doing their part.

Actually I do, that article is the same as several others written about CFB attendance being down and of course Syracuse is not immune to the trend and wasn't back then either.

My point was that it is easier to grow a student ticket holding body of (guessing here) 2000 kids (30%=600 increase) than to grow a total fanbase of 30K (30%=9K).

Your posted article doesn't change that. Is there blame for both the locals and the students, sure. But it appears that based on the STH retention and the increase to date the locals are doing their part.

My article was a Syracuse article. And some of you don’t understand math and percentages.

My article was a Syracuse article. And some of you don’t understand math and percentages.
Whatever.

I read all 4 paragraphs back then and again today and it does mention the trend in CFB.

Was my math off? How do I not understand percentages? Please let me know.