Final Count on New Season Ticket Sales | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Final Count on New Season Ticket Sales

How Many New Season Tickets Added by Clemson Kickoff?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
8,000 new season tickets sold with 6 weeks until the first home game. Renewal rate of 95%+. Student attendance increase that led P5 schools last year and a team coming off a 10 win season getting National Respect as second only to the reigning national champions in a P5 conference. Let's see. What else can we find to be negative about....

8,000 new season tickets sold with 6 weeks until the first home game. Renewal rate of 95%+. Student attendance increase that led P5 schools last year and a team coming off a 10 win season getting National Respect as second only to the reigning national champions in a P5 conference. Let's see. What else can we find to be negative about...

Ah, 95% retention, that’s even better than my 90% estimate. That’s even better for the net increase. I knew the student attendance was up but didn’t know it was the largest in P5. That’s great. The university is doing great work on attendance working with the students and general public. With the winning they’re striking while the iron is hot.

If every student that bought a season ticket actually left the pregame parties and came into the Dome no one would be talking about student attendance. Free is not the answer.

And if nonstudents left their tailgates earlier then Dino and the team would see coming out of the tunnel something in the stands to really be excited over too.

Ah, 95% retention, that’s even better than my 90% estimate. That’s even better for the net increase. I knew the student attendance was up but didn’t know it was the largest in P5. That’s great. The university is doing great work on attendance working with the students and general public. With the winning they’re striking while the iron is hot.

Yes. The 90 was prior to payment for the corporate plans coming due. May be just a shade under 95 but if we are it's a rounding error. I believe the only school close to us for student ticket increase was Kentucky. And never believe a sentence that includes both Kentucky and reported attendance in it anyway.

The university/AD should be thinking of creative chants, seances, dances, bead necklace toss, mosh pit of orange juice, selecting a random student to carry the flag or roll otto across the turf, anything that gets the students engaged and off their G D phone. Today's millenials have no idea that you can have social bonding and fun without electronic devices.

That's kind of a silly thing to say. First, students aren't millenials, that generation is long out of college. Second, generally speaking, I see a lot more energy and creativity coming from the student section than I do the rest of the crowd. Third, most traditions don't start with university administrators, they start organically with fans or those in the program. Dino started "Who's House", not someone in marketing. It's long baffled me why SU fans are sooooo averse to cheers and chants. It's kind of embarrassing, to be honest. There are D3 schools that have more creativity.

That's kind of a silly thing to say. First, students aren't millenials, that generation is long out of college.

You are mostly correct but seniors and grad students could still be. Millennials are widely held to have been between 1980 and 1996. 22-25 year olds could still be older undergrad or grad students.

And let's not even get into "gap years" lol...

Why in God’s green earth would you bring a 6 year old to a 4.5 hour long football game where half those attending are hammered. And you’re worried about some harmless cheer because a couple of dirty words. Good lord.
People on here bring kids that age and younger all the time. It's where/when kids become fans. Why on God's green earth should I not be able to bring kids to a sporting event? Sporting events are supposed to be family friendly. Why do we need a cheer/chant that kids can't take part in? Does dropping F bombs in an orchestrated manner enhance your viewing experience? If it does, I feel sorry for you.

You think that's the phrase being referenced? You need to get a clue.

It was f@#k em up, f@#k em up, go SU. We're gonna beat the s@#t outta you. Just what I want my 6 year old taking part it.

Well that is a totally different situation then. I was going off of what was written. I guess I was not around when that was going on, I was still active duty AF and all over the place. If that is what was said then that was totally wrong and vulgar.

People on here bring kids that age and younger all the time. It's where/when kids become fans. Why on God's green earth should I not be able to bring kids to a sporting event? Sporting events are supposed to be family friendly. Why do we need a cheer/chant that kids can't take part in? Does dropping F bombs in an orchestrated manner enhance your viewing experience? If it does, I feel sorry for you.

I can understand that but I think this is where you and I fundamentally disagree. I don't believe sports are inherently supposed to be family friendly. Just 9% of college football viewers are under the age of 18, obviously even less are under the age of 14 (which I'm arbitrarily designating as the age where cuss words are no longer abnormal to hear used). Do chants containing expletives necessarily enhance my viewing experience? Probably only minimally at best (good for a chuckle or two), but overtly banning them for less than 9% of the audience is unnecessary, in my opinion. It just breeds frustration with the many fans who like the tradition. Like it or not, they do contribute to the atmosphere at a stadium. Alabama banned Dixieland Delight and ended up bring it back last year due to the demands of their fans. I'd also argue a majority of fans are made once they are college students than when they are children but that's purely anecdotal from me.

There's been concerted efforts to make everything more family friendly in the past decade, or so, and it has only coincided with decreased fan participation across the board. Correlation does not equal causation but it is just one additional contributing variable. College football, and some other sporting events, tend to be an event where people drink and let loose. You are still more than welcome to bring your kids to the game, I just don't believe it is everyone else's responsibility to regulate what your child hears at a college football game. It's on the adult to explain to their kid they will hear things they are not allowed to say until they're older, when they can make that decision for themselves.

Back to the original topic. Being conservative, if we have +9k and -2k for a net increase of 7k that would be approximately (estimating) and increase of about 25-33%. That would be phenomenal and I’m sure the best in P5. It was just 3 seasons ago we had the 2nd lowest attendance ever in the dome and had the “worst” decrease in P5 attendance at -20%. Thats amazing no matter what the final numbers are. Winning cures all ills, along with some hype.
Wasn't that just a bit after a certain athletic director who will remain nameless (Coil) said we would deal only in "truth" with regard to attendance and changed the parameters of what was announced as attendance figures?

Wasn't that just a bit after a certain athletic director who will remain nameless (Coil) said we would deal only in "truth" with regard to attendance and changed the parameters of what was announced as attendance figures?

336CD51F-6900-4F97-8C03-9EC7E878ECB9.jpeg

Back to the original topic. Being conservative, if we have +9k and -2k for a net increase of 7k that would be approximately (estimating) and increase of about 25-33%. That would be phenomenal and I’m sure the best in P5. It was just 3 seasons ago we had the 2nd lowest attendance ever in the dome and had the “worst” decrease in P5 attendance at -20%. Thats amazing no matter what the final numbers are. Winning cures all ills, along with some hype.
Our walk up will be smaller (unless we are on a top 10 run)...those 2 games a season guys are buying season tickets this year to get the Clemson Game.

Why in God’s green earth would you bring a 6 year old to a 4.5 hour long football game where half those attending are hammered. And you’re worried about some harmless cheer because a couple of dirty words. Good lord.

Eh, if this was a Bills game I’d agree with you.

I don’t think the typical SU crowd is all that bad in terms of being “family friendly” other than the night games maybe. The typical Noon or 3:30 crowds - I don’t think there’s a high percentage that are hammered. Most SU fans don’t tailgate like that.

I can understand that but I think this is where you and I fundamentally disagree. I don't believe sports are inherently supposed to be family friendly. Just 9% of college football viewers are under the age of 18, obviously even less are under the age of 14 (which I'm arbitrarily designating as the age where cuss words are no longer abnormal to hear used). Do chants containing expletives necessarily enhance my viewing experience? Probably only minimally at best (good for a chuckle or two), but overtly banning them for less than 9% of the audience is unnecessary, in my opinion. It just breeds frustration with the many fans who like the tradition. Like it or not, they do contribute to the atmosphere at a stadium. Alabama banned Dixieland Delight and ended up bring it back last year due to the demands of their fans. I'd also argue a majority of fans are made once they are college students than when they are children but that's purely anecdotal from me.

There's been concerted efforts to make everything more family friendly in the past decade, or so, and it has only coincided with decreased fan participation across the board. Correlation does not equal causation but it is just one additional contributing variable. College football, and some other sporting events, tend to be an event where people drink and let loose. You are still more than welcome to bring your kids to the game, I just don't believe it is everyone else's responsibility to regulate what your child hears at a college football game. It's on the adult to explain to their kid they will hear things they are not allowed to say until they're older, when they can make that decision for themselves.
I bring my kids. I fully expect them to hear the occasional f-bomb, screw you ref etc. That doesn't mean they need to hear a group chant by college students with swearing in unison. Let's not confuse the two. The fact that you think Syracuse trying to make a fun atmosphere for families is a reason for a decline in attendance has to be the most ridiculous thing ive ever read.

I bring my kids. I fully expect them to hear the occasional f-bomb, screw you ref etc. That doesn't mean they need to hear a group chant by college students with swearing in unison. Let's not confuse the two. The fact that you think Syracuse trying to make a fun atmosphere for families is a reason for a decline in attendance has to be the most ridiculous thing ive ever read.

People chant ref you suck and a-hole regularly, it's not that different. Just varying levels of what expletive you find to be worse than another. College students are going to chant using curse words. WVU yells eat sh** Pitt constantly. Wisconsin will call and response eat sh** f*** you. Alabama yells f*** Auburn. Auburn yells war d*** eagle. We regularly ask what time it is and follow it up with Georgetown still sucks. Like it or not, these chants and phrases are ingrained into college athletics.

And I didn't specifically say declining attendance in Syracuse's case is only due to the family friendly atmosphere (largely because we were awful for a decade) but I wholeheartedly believe the slow elimination of traditions in college football has played a factor in declining attendance across conferences, and that includes chants, cheers, contentious rivalries, and whatever else. Are they the single reason why college attendance is decreasing? Obviously not, considering the improvement of tv, higher costs, and opportunity costs of spending an entire day at a game. But, I do believe it has an impact. You may find that ridiculous, but one of the major reasons why I prefer college sports to professional is the traditions, rivalries, and overall atmosphere at stadiums. It's also a reason why I've grown to love soccer over the past decade and a half. You can disagree with that, and hate that wild and rambunctious behavior, but I love watching a sporting event at an arena or stadium that seems intimidating.

I think we should wait for our first home game before we continue complaining about attendance.

I bet it will be about the number of Clemson fans.

People chant ref you suck and a-hole regularly, it's not that different. Just varying levels of what expletive you find to be worse than another. College students are going to chant using curse words. WVU yells eat sh** Pitt constantly. Wisconsin will call and response eat sh** f*** you. Alabama yells f*** Auburn. Auburn yells war d*** eagle. We regularly ask what time it is and follow it up with Georgetown still sucks. Like it or not, these chants and phrases are ingrained into college athletics.

And I didn't specifically say declining attendance in Syracuse's case is only due to the family friendly atmosphere (largely because we were awful for a decade) but I wholeheartedly believe the slow elimination of traditions in college football has played a factor in declining attendance across conferences, and that includes chants, cheers, contentious rivalries, and whatever else. Are they the single reason why college attendance is decreasing? Obviously not, considering the improvement of tv, higher costs, and opportunity costs of spending an entire day at a game. But, I do believe it has an impact. You may find that ridiculous, but one of the major reasons why I prefer college sports to professional is the traditions, rivalries, and overall atmosphere at stadiums. It's also a reason why I've grown to love soccer over the past decade and a half. You can disagree with that, and hate that wild and rambunctious behavior, but I love watching a sporting event at an arena or stadium that seems intimidating.
I am the same in that I love college sports much more so than pro. I love the traditions, the campuses, everything. Not sure how swearing chants is a part of that but ok lol. Once again, I fully expect to hear profanity.. just not practiced profanity as part of a tradition.

I’d like the list of 2,000 people who are not renewing and their reasoning.

Acceptable answers are limited to death, unemployment, moved to Fiji.

Renewal rate is over 90% and is expected to end up at about 95%, which is outstanding.

Renewal rate is over 90% and is expected to end up at about 95%, which is outstanding.

It should be. I want that list on my desk by the end of the day.

I think it is lower...like 1000 that didn't renew. Gotta throw divorce in there too as a reason.

Anything above 90% renewal rate is considered very good. Unofficially I heard Cuse is close to 95% which is extremely high. 10 wins cured a ton of issues.

Most of the get a life fans have made peace or died.