Final play of the game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Final play of the game

Didn't we have 4 guys on the line on those shots to none for UConn? That didn't make sense to me whether or not they decided to intentionally miss a FT. Am I wrong?

Didn't we have 4 guys on the line on those shots to none for UConn? That didn't make sense to me whether or not they decided to intentionally a FT. Am I wrong?

That's what I was thinking at the time. It's also why I think JB expected a miss on purpose.

no one wanted to inbound the ball.
There's one player on this team who isn't afraid of the ball - Andrew White. And unfortunately he's limited in his abilities and requires someone to create for him to set him up.

no one wanted to inbound the ball.

Honestly, it seems like such a small thing, but something that I have noticed from day 1 with this team - multiple times per game, we have no one to inbound the ball. Should this not be a defined roll for someone who is on the court at all times? It seems like a minor thing, but it happens so consistently that I honestly think we either have guys who are not paying attention and have no awareness, or we literally have no plan in place on offense - from inbounding the ball to running plays.

Honestly, it seems like such a small thing, but something that I have noticed from day 1 with this team - multiple times per game, we have no one to inbound the ball. Should this not be a defined roll for someone who is on the court at all times? It seems like a minor thing, but it happens so consistently that I honestly think we either have guys who are not paying attention and have no awareness, or we literally have no plan in place on offense - from inbounding the ball to running plays.
I know only one thing, Howard will not inbound. That's apparently not in his job description the way he points for everyone else to do it.

I know only one thing, Howard will not inbound. That's apparently not in his job description the way he points for everyone else to do it.

Yeah it's never supposed to be the PG's job to inbound the ball in live ball situations though. I think our guys have no idea what their roles are on the team, and that's part of the reason why we are struggling so much.

Talk about needing to go back to basics.

Yeah it's never supposed to be the PG's job to inbound the ball in live ball situations though. I think our guys have no idea what their roles are on the team, and that's part of the reason why we are struggling so much.
Yeah, but...

I concede the point PGs typically don't, but with battle or gillon out there, in some cases, I'd rather see us push the ball as much as possible before they get their defense set. What he does just slows up the possession.

It looked like it was a give up play, if your going to throw a baseball pass, put lydon down there ala Christian Laettner.

We have no inbounds play under the basket, so it wouldn't be surprising if we had no play for this situation either.

There was no semblance of a plan or anything remotely looking like something they've practiced before. That is insane. Any other team would set a screen and try to get the ball to someone at half court to get two dribbles and a decent shot off. There were 2.2 seconds or whatever left, plenty of time to get something.

Throw it to the 6'10" guy who can actually shoot it.
I thought same exact thing while watching live. Only problem is as i thought about it after: theres only one guy who made as many jumpers as DC last night on the entire team: White. Think about that for awhile

We have no inbounds play under the basket, so it wouldn't be surprising if we had no play for this situation either.

There was no semblance of a plan or anything remotely looking like something they've practiced before. That is insane. Any other team would set a screen and try to get the ball to someone at half court to get two dribbles and a decent shot off. There were 2.2 seconds or whatever left, plenty of time to get something.
Kinda like '87 final secs?

Last NON-play was a total capitulation by the staff. Most teams have designed & practiced end of game situation plays. One more disappointment to the night.

Last NON-play was a total capitulation by the staff. Most teams have designed & practiced end of game situation plays. One more disappointment to the night.

I don't understand why they called the timeout then, did they just call it to ice the kid, did they draw up any kind of a play at all?

Yeah, but...

I concede the point PGs typically don't, but with battle or gillon out there, in some cases, I'd rather see us push the ball as much as possible before they get their defense set. What he does just slows up the possession.

Yeah I get that, but even if Frank goes to inbound the ball quick, it won't matter, because all his teammates will be running down the court with their backs to him.

I don't understand why they called the timeout then, did they just call it to ice the kid, did they draw up any kind of a play at all?
I watched the play unfold, there was no one open, Lydon tried to sneak one into DC before 5 sec call. You dont score too often with 2.2 secs from baseline, no matter how great a play is drawn up

Assuming there was one drawn up that is

I watched the play unfold, there was no one open, Lydon tried to sneak one into DC before 5 sec call. You dont score too often with 2.2 secs from baseline, no matter how great a play is drawn up

Assuming there was one drawn up that is

They should have just thrown it as close to half court as possible, taken a couple of dribbles and heaved one up, better odds than throwing an awful baseball pass.

That's what I was thinking at the time. It's also why I think JB expected a miss on purpose.
He should have missed it on purpose because we had no time outs. My 12 year old daughter said that once he makes the first, he'll miss the second on purpose. It is amazing how much they learn by listening to me yell at the TV year after year.

Yeah I get that, but even if Frank goes to inbound the ball quick, it won't matter, because all his teammates will be running down the court with their backs to him.
Except Roby. He's almost always first man down the floor.

2 things:

-Looked like we've never practiced that situation which is just "you've got to be kidding me" level of ridiculousness.

-The UCONN player should've just missed to give us no shot but to rebound it, take 2 dribbles and launch a 3/4 court shot...because we didn't have a timeout...because we used it to 2 seconds earlier for no apparent reason.

I have re-watched the final inbounds play about 10 times. Am I being crazy, or does it look like Lydon basically lobbed the ball down the court without a care in the world? To me, his body language looked like "I don't care... whatever..."

I may be wrong here but it looks to me like there was a play set-up. Lydon was throwing it to Coleman who was just trying to tip it forward to White for the shot. I think they thought with the throw to Coleman that the defense would go straight for him and he could tip to White for an uncontested shot. That is what it looked like to me, was it a good play call if that was the case?

I may be wrong here but it looks to me like there was a play set-up. Lydon was throwing it to Coleman who was just trying to tip it forward to White for the shot. I think they thought with the throw to Coleman that the defense would go straight for him and he could tip to White for an uncontested shot. That is what it looked like to me, was it a good play call if that was the case?
Similar to the Devendorf play at the end of regulation in the 6OT game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom