Final thoughts from Adam W | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Final thoughts from Adam W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation - I don’t get any attention if I just donate to the collectives. That doesn’t help me.

Devil's advocate - I can buy that (paying players does seem gross).

We have a 150 million dollar building fundraising drive, seems like a good spot to park money, and buildings last a long long time.

After reading Bristol's comments in the Donna article is anyone confident giving money to that collective? We have egos and organizational problems, and from a fan perspective a University that hasn't decided what they want to be in this new era.

I’m completely confident.

My first one got deleted last night, so let’s try this again.

Spend your money however you like, but please don’t drag down the university in the media. There isn’t a bullet point that will make that acceptable.
Why does anyone have an obligation to hide the truth. From my point of view the onus is on the University to attract, educate, communicate too and maintain relationships with their donors.
SU does a very poor job of that on many fronts. Not just with Adam but across the board.

Just wanted to clear up a couple of things I have seen posted incorrectly on this site. Don’t want to take up anybody’s time, but just want to set it straight this one time.

1) I have never once said anything negative about the Chancellor or the University.

2) I never considered myself the leader of NIL at Syracuse. I was just trying to help out, as I really love the kids and the coaches.

3) I understand my high profile way of going about it might have rubbed people the wrong way, but that was never my intention.

4) I don’t think Syracuse is 100% to blame for what is happening with the NIL. I just think they were a little late in realizing how fast this change in college sports would be implemented.

5) I think Syracuse is underfunded on the NIL front, because no one thought a player that once would receive $50,000 would now earn $500,000 just 12 months later.

6) I agree that celebrities that come to the games do not help the team earn any victories or help impact the recruiting process but I do feel it added an extra value experience to the game when ticket prices have reached at all time high.

7) I understand that Chancellor Kent, like it or not, has a different view that I do regarding college athletics as a whole and he personally doesn’t want me to be involved in the program. I do understand he is the boss and makes the final decisions so I respectfully bowed out.

I will always support the team and coach Autry and wish the them only the best. Here is my personal cell if anyone has any opinions good or bad. Hate on me or not I respect all voices. I can be reached at 607.760.8204

Adam Weitsman
One post. 64 likes. Pretty good ratio for a 1st post.

Last edited:
Just wanted to clear up a couple of things I have seen posted incorrectly on this site. Don’t want to take up anybody’s time, but just want to set it straight this one time.

1) I have never once said anything negative about the Chancellor or the University.

2) I never considered myself the leader of NIL at Syracuse. I was just trying to help out, as I really love the kids and the coaches.

3) I understand my high profile way of going about it might have rubbed people the wrong way, but that was never my intention.

4) I don’t think Syracuse is 100% to blame for what is happening with the NIL. I just think they were a little late in realizing how fast this change in college sports would be implemented.

5) I think Syracuse is underfunded on the NIL front, because no one thought a player that once would receive $50,000 would now earn $500,000 just 12 months later.

6) I agree that celebrities that come to the games do not help the team earn any victories or help impact the recruiting process but I do feel it added an extra value experience to the game when ticket prices have reached at all time high.

7) I understand that Chancellor Kent, like it or not, has a different view that I do regarding college athletics as a whole and he personally doesn’t want me to be involved in the program. I do understand he is the boss and makes the final decisions so I respectfully bowed out.

I will always support the team and coach Autry and wish the them only the best. Here is my personal cell if anyone has any opinions good or bad. Hate on me or not I respect all voices. I can be reached at 607.760.8204

Adam Weitsman
Adam, if I may, I just have one question for you. Is Brooke Burke as wonderful of a person in real life as she was in my dreams when I was 19?

Devil's advocate - I can buy that (paying players does seem gross).

We have a 150 million dollar building fundraising drive, seems like a good spot to park money, and buildings last a long long time.

That's the catch-22 now. One of the recent articles said how the players (understandably) said they'd rather the money go to them vs new shiny facilities.

I think it will certainly be a losing battle in Syracuse, and eventually a lot of other places for fans to donate so they can pay the players. On one hand you hear how a conference gets a mega new TV deal. Plus you know how many tickets/concessions/merch/parking they sell. But then the fans have to donate to a collective so that someone like Jesse Edwards can get $1M for one more year, or Joe Girard can get $400k for one more year? Yeah, no thank you. I'll donate to cancer research.

I think the system is setup to fail. Yeah, a billionaire WVU grad starts a collective, buys some players, but how long is that sustainable? Meanwhile, the schools bring in all the money they do and the athletic departments hire an army of a staff. Some of whom have jobs dedicated to figuring out how more fans can donate to pay the players.

Just don't see it lasting, and the NCAA wants no part of all of this.

That's the catch-22 now. One of the recent articles said how the players (understandably) said they'd rather the money go to them vs new shiny facilities.

I think it will certainly be a losing battle in Syracuse, and eventually a lot of other places for fans to donate so they can pay the players. On one hand you hear how a conference gets a mega new TV deal. Plus you know how many tickets/concessions/merch/parking they sell. But then the fans have to donate to a collective so that someone like Jesse Edwards can get $1M for one more year, or Joe Girard can get $400k for one more year? Yeah, no thank you. I'll donate to cancer research.

I think the system is setup to fail. Yeah, a billionaire WVU grad starts a collective, buys some players, but how long is that sustainable? Meanwhile, the schools bring in all the money they do and the athletic departments hire an army of a staff. Some of whom have jobs dedicated to figuring out how more fans can donate to pay the players.

Just don't see it lasting, and the NCAA wants no part of all of this.

Agreed.

Passing a hat for NIL is a loser. For guys that get something out of giving sure.

Hard to give 10K a year of whatever to that. Easy to give it to a building fund going towards stuff athletes use and will be there a long time.

Adam Weitsman
Adam, this is a great post, thanks for sharing. I believe you have the support of most Syracuse fans.

What seems to be happening is that you’ve correctly recognized that college athletics is now the Wild Wild West and you’ve come out with your six shooters ready to fire. But the university’s main goal seems to be trying to determine how not to get shot.

There is room for both sides here but a show of good faith on your part will get them listening. Maybe a meaningful donation to one of their already established funds. Money talks and they’ll listen if the dialogue starts on their terms.

Love that you’ve posted here and posted your number. Pretty darn cool

Mark

AW thanks for the post. That takes stones.

That said I understand your perspective on the collectives but why not step in and try to lead one (frankly 315 seems like it needs leadership)? To me this is all about governance. The NCAA has played a game to bring all the cheating/pay for play into the open. Just do it under the guise of something existing and approved.

Adam Weitsman
I just can't believe 315Cuse was an available username after all this time. Welcome!

I take the response as a successful businessman preferring to control how his donations are spent as opposed to making blind donations. He’s not cutting ties, just waiting for an opportunity that he is comfortable investing in, not following the crowd, which is probably how he succeeded in business to begin with.

We do the same on smaller scales when we buy homes and cars, or pay for college got our kids. We put our money where we think it will give the best return for our investment purpose, we don’t just throw money at everything. We’re not politicians!;)

Which is exactly the reason I pointed out assistance via private grants that any NIL collective could apply for with requirements that go with the grant money both pre requisites and ongoing such that funding is only released upon those requirements being fulfilled. It is very common and works very well in the non profit world. It also can drive the non profits seeking this funding to improve their own organizations to be better stewards of their money. It's a win win.

I mentioned in a separate thread but this is why I am personally very curious of our NIL collectives first 990 filing( tax filing for 501c3) for 2022.

I want to add this is by no means criticism whatsoever of anyone. Just simply some things to think about similar to what others have expressed.

Last edited:

Adam Weitsman

In the current environment of college basketball, do you think a team that relies on a zone defense can be successful against opposing offenses that have 3, 4, or even 5, players capable of shooting a high percentage from three-point range?

Adam Weitsman

Wow. Thank you for your response to the situation. Very stand up of you.

If Adam wants to help he could hire someone to manage a NIL co-op to his liking.
I agree that the 315 collective doesn't seem like the right way to complete, they have a long term goal to build an endowment. We need players now, not 20 years from now.
The 315 collective has 7 twitter followers, the world is not beating a path to their door.

I don’t think Miami or St. John’s thinks having donors outside the collective as “ weird”.
Red needs and wants the help. I commented on a story after I got called last week by Post Standard. Not sure if it will run or not. That will my last comment on NIL or Cuse athletics in the future on any medium so everything can go on like it did before i got involved. No reason to discuss me going forward. Wish the team and Red (and Dino) only the best in the upcoming seasons.

I don’t think Miami or St. John’s thinks having donors outside the collective as “ weird”.
Red needs and wants the help. I commented on a story after I got called last week by Post Standard. Not sure if it will run or not. That will my last comment on NIL or Cuse athletics in the future on any medium so everything can go on like it did before i got involved. No reason to discuss me going forward. Wish the team and Red (and Dino) only the best in the upcoming seasons.
Miami is the one school that has been slapped on the wrist for NIL stuff. And once again, if you do only want the best for Red and Dino, and I have no reason to not believe that, you can donate to the collective and support both programs. A very simple solution. One I would think both sides could get behind.

Miami is the one school that has been slapped on the wrist for NIL stuff. And once again, if you do only want the best for Red and Dino, and I have no reason to not believe that, you can donate to the collective and support both programs. A very simple solution. One I would think both sides could get behind.
If he doesn’t believe the collective is allocating the money correctly and ran properly then why would he be throwing money at it?

If he doesn’t believe the collective is allocating the money correctly and ran properly then why would he be throwing money at it?

There is more than one way to accomplish that while preserving control. Hence what I was getting at above as a potential source of compromise.

There is merit in this not being an issue that the path forward is binary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom