Final thoughts from Adam W | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Final thoughts from Adam W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to clear up a couple of things I have seen posted incorrectly on this site. Don’t want to take up anybody’s time, but just want to set it straight this one time.

1) I have never once said anything negative about the Chancellor or the University.

2) I never considered myself the leader of NIL at Syracuse. I was just trying to help out, as I really love the kids and the coaches.

3) I understand my high profile way of going about it might have rubbed people the wrong way, but that was never my intention.

4) I don’t think Syracuse is 100% to blame for what is happening with the NIL. I just think they were a little late in realizing how fast this change in college sports would be implemented.

5) I think Syracuse is underfunded on the NIL front, because no one thought a player that once would receive $50,000 would now earn $500,000 just 12 months later.

6) I agree that celebrities that come to the games do not help the team earn any victories or help impact the recruiting process but I do feel it added an extra value experience to the game when ticket prices have reached at all time high.

7) I understand that Chancellor Kent, like it or not, has a different view that I do regarding college athletics as a whole and he personally doesn’t want me to be involved in the program. I do understand he is the boss and makes the final decisions so I respectfully bowed out.

I will always support the team and coach Autry and wish the them only the best. Here is my personal cell if anyone has any opinions good or bad. Hate on me or not I respect all voices. I can be reached at 607.760.8204

Adam Weitsman
Thank you for everything you did for SU!!! I hope this isn't the last time you have the opportunity to be in our corner and do those same great and exciting things again!!!

Adam, one of the main discussion point that's come up is just wondering if there's a specific reason that you are unable or don't desire to fund/support SU athletics through one of the other NIL collectives & leave it at that? I believe that you're genuine in your love for SU sports, Coach Autry & the basketball team, etc., why not just go that route (if you haven't already, obviously there's much I don't know)?
So I sent Adam a text asking this same question and he called me within minutes to have a discussion. We talked for 15-20 minutes about this and the state of the program. Basically, hes not a fan how these collectives are run and doesnt want to put loads of money into something that he doesnt think will be managed properly. Also, doesnt sound like the bridge is burned on his side and he'd still be happy to try and work something out with the University if approached. Hopefully something in the future can be agreed upon where both sides are happy.

So I sent Adam a text asking this same question and he called me within minutes to have a discussion. We talked for 15-20 minutes about this and the state of the program. Basically, hes not a fan how these collectives are run and doesnt want to put loads of money into something that he doesnt think will be managed properly. Also, doesnt sound like the bridge is burned on his side and he'd still be happy to try and work something out with the University if approached. Hopefully something in the future can be agreed upon where both sides are happy.

Translation - I don’t get any attention if I just donate to the collectives. That doesn’t help me.

Translation - I don’t get any attention if I just donate to the collectives. That doesn’t help me.
That may be the case. Im not gonna form an opinion on his true intentions off a 15 minute conversation one way or the other. I do think it was a pretty nice gesture to call some random fan off a message board at 1130 at night to answer his question though.

Fair enough. Even if that is true, isn’t it the actual spirit of NIL? That someone enters into a business arrangement with a player for their mutual benefit. If you expect someone to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars into something, why shouldn’t they expect some sort of return on it? If the return is notoriety or public adulation, so what? We as fans get a better team to cheer, the player gets life changing money, and the person fronting the cash gets whatever it is they are looking for. Win-win-win.

Sane reason I don't give to the united way. If only 85 cents of my dollar makes it to those in need, not worth it

Okay... maybe he wants attention. Fine. All you nerds who are like, "He should donate millions of dollars just out of the kindness of his heart," are such drips.

Sports are entertainment. If he wants some attention for donating significant amounts, what's the issue with that? You know what will happen? Other people with significant money to donate who also like to be acknowledged will say, "Oh, I could do that too."

We get it. You're too selfless and magnanimous for such things.

I don't really care what someone's motivation is if they're contributing to something I care about. "That guy only donated the 20 million to the hospital to have the new wing named after him." SO WHAT?!

Okay... maybe he wants attention. Fine. All you nerds who are like, "He should donate millions of dollars just out of the kindness of his heart," are such drips.

Sports are entertainment. If he wants some attention for donating significant amounts, what's the issue with that? You know what will happen? Other people with significant money to donate who also like to be acknowledged will say, "Oh, I could do that too."

We get it. You're too selfless and magnanimous for such things.

I don't really care what someone's motivation is if they're contributing to something I care about. "That guy only donated the 20 million to the hospital to have the new wing named after him." SO WHAT?!
He wants ROI, if that concept is hard for people, they shouldn't be in the discussion

Thanks for sharing. A few thoughts that pop up. I'm sure in our community there are others who have been part of or helped lead a non profit. For me I've worked with them, managed relationships with them and served on the Sr leadership team of one.

Usually the biggest issue beyond funding is infrastructure and resources to execute on their mission. You can't really either obtain or properly put those funds to work without the necessary infrastructure and resources.. which of course are similar to for profit business just that you must run a very lean operation.

With that said - when it comes to funding you have multiple options... contractual fee for service work ( specific to your mission), donations, and then the most common resource - Grants.

The non profit I managed at was about 60 pct grants in terms of funding. That includes grants from govt, public and private organizations. Donations were usually at the bottom in terms of funding sources. The big reason for that is in large part due to wanting the money to be applied and managed a certain way. Thus this is where the Grants come in. A grant can dictate how a non profit must function by way of how funds are released. It also provides for healthy competition of like minded non profits. Again I'm sure this is all common knowledge to most. All that said, it seems a logical route for a business or person who wants to make a difference but also wants to ensure the money is handled properly and have more control over their donation. Point is - there is still a way to get there.

Just wanted to clear up a couple of things I have seen posted incorrectly on this site. Don’t want to take up anybody’s time, but just want to set it straight this one time.

1) I have never once said anything negative about the Chancellor or the University.

2) I never considered myself the leader of NIL at Syracuse. I was just trying to help out, as I really love the kids and the coaches.

3) I understand my high profile way of going about it might have rubbed people the wrong way, but that was never my intention.

4) I don’t think Syracuse is 100% to blame for what is happening with the NIL. I just think they were a little late in realizing how fast this change in college sports would be implemented.

5) I think Syracuse is underfunded on the NIL front, because no one thought a player that once would receive $50,000 would now earn $500,000 just 12 months later.

6) I agree that celebrities that come to the games do not help the team earn any victories or help impact the recruiting process but I do feel it added an extra value experience to the game when ticket prices have reached at all time high.

7) I understand that Chancellor Kent, like it or not, has a different view that I do regarding college athletics as a whole and he personally doesn’t want me to be involved in the program. I do understand he is the boss and makes the final decisions so I respectfully bowed out.

I will always support the team and coach Autry and wish the them only the best. Here is my personal cell if anyone has any opinions good or bad. Hate on me or not I respect all voices. I can be reached at 607.760.8204

Adam Weitsman
Hope JB can help mend fences in his new role since AW can be a huge asset to Cuse athletics.

While the success on the court hasn’t been at the normal standard the past few years, one bright spot has been Adam and the buzz he and his guests have brought to the dome. Outside of a few games in March 3 years ago the only recognition this team and university has had on the basketball side was Adam and his guests, what it helped, I don’t know, but I do know everyone knew about and spoke about our team because of who was sitting courtside.

For years, whether from the mouth of a coach or it being implied we’re supposed to have faith without evidence, Adam by his actions has shown time and time again that he wants to help the community and the university and that is a big deal, I wish the university would see it that way and both parties could figure out a way it works for everyone.

I stand by my previous statement, I understand Adam walking away, I don’t understand the university pushing him away and I won’t because there is a resolution, the university doesn’t seem to want a resolution or the relationship wouldn’t have soured as fast as it did.

If you read this Adam, I’m not alone with the appreciation for what you did for the program and honestly more importantly the community, keep doing what you’re doing because you do make a difference.

i had an entire post that was different than my original thought and then retyped some things so here it goes.
We need every dollar we can get right now. If this is truly you on here which I don’t have any reason to doubt that authenticity….Saying goodbye to Cuse nation it doesn’t work that way…there is never a goodbye if you are as passionate as some of us are on here…the fire never dies and you aren’t one to go quietly about anything. That passion is just what we need here. So I implore you to never say goodbye because if you are really that passionate you’ll always figure out a way to work out differences. Hell you’ve done multimillion dollar or billion dollar deals it is possible!

You have the resources to help out the University probably more than many and that’s great. The bottom line is you can’t say on one end you support Autry then publicly on the other hand not get past a disagreement with this chancellor behind the scenes to make it work. I believe you probably did try hard but it didn’t work out right now and that is frustrating. You’ve seen already how we have lost out on top players how much it has hurt us and it’s only going to hurt the overall quality of our product on the court. Some disagree but it is what it is.
The passion is still there and to me it never goes away. This whole situation has hurt our community and I understand but then again I don’t.
I’ve heard you have a good relationship with Coach B…I met him one time and it was an honor to meet him. A great thrill to meet a Hall of Fame coach. I’ve met Dr. Gross one time who was not always popular but his drive passion and energy were fabulous. You seem to have that too. You seem to have that drive. The reason this board is so unique is because despite our differences on here you won’t find another one like it that shows the passion, frustration, and determination many have on here. It’s been going on for years here. I’m happy to continue to be a part of it since it’s inception.

My point is don’t give up because you have the resources to change the future of this program for the better….perhaps in a way some of us could only dream of. Everything hurts right now but don’t just give up! Regardless good luck to you with your decision. I’ve never talked to a billionaire before so that would be a first for me.

A couple things I'll say in response to Adam's post; I do think he was trying to portray himself as NIL leader, correlating the timing he was stepping away with Jesse's departure. While he may not have said anything bad about brass, he portrayed them negatively through action.

That being said, I respect him trying to make things right and putting his number on here was ballsy and commendable.

After reading Bristol's comments in the Donna article is anyone confident giving money to that collective? We have egos and organizational problems, and from a fan perspective a University that hasn't decided what they want to be in this new era.

Sane reason I don't give to the united way. If only 85 cents of my dollar makes it to those in need, not worth it
Totally different subject than NIL, and not directed to you, as people are 100% free to choose how they spend their money, but 85% is extremely good in the non-profit world and the United Way is able to reach many more people in need under their umbrella because of how easy they make donating through payroll deductions, etc.

Last edited:
After reading Bristol's comments in the Donna article is anyone confident giving money to that collective? We have egos and organizational problems, and from a fan perspective a University that hasn't decided what they want to be in this new era.
This.

100%.

We seem to be unorganized and amateurs, in spite of the efforts of many, and even successes.

Other programs seem to be way more centralized and organized than our collectives.

The average fan won't know how or where to donate, and to which collective.

Then they complain about finding money.

Some on here, have proposed numerous suggestions on ways to improve engagement and donation success - as well as ways to get their names out there and known.

Adam- If you want to support the program, you still can. And if you care about Red and the program, you’ll stop publicly bashing them. Whether you think it or not, the NIL lawyer and all the other antics are not helpful. Period. Take up your issues with the school privately. Doing it publicly is hurting the players and school you purport to care about.

Adam Weitsman

Thank you, Adam, for coming here to address us. I really appreciate it.

I personally thought you were a great assistance to the program. I'm sorry the chancellor disagreed.

If you want to do things with a certain panache, why should we hold you back?

If we want to be a big time sports program, we need people like you.

My hope is that you'll find a way to continue to help, and not let the non-sports people at the University push you away.

I take the response as a successful businessman preferring to control how his donations are spent as opposed to making blind donations. He’s not cutting ties, just waiting for an opportunity that he is comfortable investing in, not following the crowd, which is probably how he succeeded in business to begin with.

We do the same on smaller scales when we buy homes and cars, or pay for college got our kids. We put our money where we think it will give the best return for our investment purpose, we don’t just throw money at everything. We’re not politicians!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom