Fine Mess NIL Collective: How You Can Help | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Fine Mess NIL Collective: How You Can Help

Running total $9794 pledged. $9594 banked. $12 more and the contingent donations kick in to get us to $10k!

Running total $9794 pledged. $9594 banked. $12 more and the contingent donations kick in to get us to $10k!

If my math is correct, I think they already kick in.

If my math is correct, I think they already kick in.
Going by the banked, not the pledged. And one of the three pledges already remitted.

I’m in for another $12 just to make Cuseregular break his bank.
Ok, the $12 is in. Running total is $9806 pledged; $9606 banked. SUskibum , you’re up!
holy moly...
200.gif

It is time for another update on the NIL…..

The NIL executive committee met this week to decide on the player we are going to sponsor for the coming season. It was a hard decision. Many players responded and a number were terrific candidates.

We used the following criteria to choose a player….

We wanted to choose a player who was somewhat under the radar (and might not get any other significant NIL opportunities).

One of SU AD John Wildhack’s objectives is to find NIL opportunities for promising underclassmen in hopes of retaining them in the age of the transfer portal. We strongly agreed with John on this and agreed that the player we picked needed to have at least 2 years of eligibility remaining.

And we wanted to pick a player with good character who has been active in the local community.

After much discussion, we ended up choosing red shirt frosh OL Enrique Cruz. We have been in contact with him, he is very excited and are in final negotiations to rebrand the name of the tailgate to the SYRACRUZ tailgate.

When reviewing the players who had applied for consideration for the NIL money, many on the committee felt strongly that we needed to find a way to include another player in this process. He was just too good of a candidate to ignore completely.

That player is Chris ‘Rhino’ Elmore. Chris has only one year of eligibility left, so technically he does not meet our criteria. But we so loved his leadership, his loyalty and his response to the NIL op that we felt we had to also award him some of the money raised.

This would not have been possible without the extreme generosity of everyone who participated in this fund raising effort. Great thanks to everyone who contributed to this effort. This truly was a grass roots response to a really screwed up situation with college athletics and I think it is great that we have an example of how NIL is actually supposed to work. Hopefully other groups of fans of Syracuse sports teams (and other schools throughout the country) will take notice and make similar efforts to reward other deserving student athletes. And note if you want to help, if is not too late. We are still looking to raise more money to have more athletes over the coming year.

I will end this post with Enrique’s initial response asking to be considered. It says a lot about him and this is response is largely why he was selected.

Congratulations Enrique!

Hello Mr XXXXX, I have been a student at Syracuse for one year. So far, my giving back to the Syracuse Community hasn’t been much yet.

But in that year, I have helped Syracuse by hosting students from other schools. It has been a great experience giving back and being able to host students from different backgrounds. I am Hispanic and enjoy giving back and being of service to others.

My past experiences have been when I go back home during my breaks from school. I have volunteered in my community back home.

One that has been in my memory was helping disable children from a Middle School close to my home.

Together with other students we organized a football game for the children that made the children feel so special and valuable. Being involved and seeing the smile on their faces was very rewarding.

I also, have joined the community in raising funds for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.

Helping others that are suffering from Cancer is very gratifying, knowing that I am part of the solution. I will be honored if picked to be able to be of service and giving back to the community.

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:

The NIL executive committee met this week to decide on the player we are going to sponsor for the coming season. It was a hard decision. Many players responded and a number were terrific candidates.

We wanted to choose a player who was somewhat under the radar (and might not get any other significant NIL opportunities).

One of SU AD John Wildhack’s objectives is to find NIL opportunities for promising underclassmen in hopes of retaining them in the age of the transfer portal. We strongly agreed with John on this and agreed that the player we picked needed to have at least 2 years of eligibility remaining.

And we wanted to pick a player with good character who has been active in the local community.

After much discussion, we ended up choosing red shirt frosh OL Enrique Cruz. We have been in contact with him, he is very excited and are in final negotiations to rebrand the name of the tailgate to the SYRACRUZ tailgate.

When reviewing the players who had applied for consideration for the NIL money, many on the committee felt strongly that we needed to find a way to include another player in this process. He was just too good of a candidate to ignore completely.

That player is Chris ‘Rhino’ Elmore. Chris has only one year of eligibility left, so technically he does not meet our criteria. But we so loved his leadership, his loyalty and his response to the NIL op that we felt we had to also award him some of the money raised.

This would not have been possible without the extreme generosity of everyone who participated in this fund raising effort. Great thanks to everyone who contributed to this effort. This truly was a grass roots response to a really screwed up situation with college athletics and I think it is great that we have an example of how NIL is actually supposed to work. Hopefully other groups of fans of Syracuse sports teams (and other schools throughout the country) will take notice and make similar efforts to reward other deserving student athletes.

I will end this post with Enrique’s initial response asking to be considered. It says a lot about him and this is response is largely why he was selected.

Congratulations Enrique!

Hello Mr XXXXX, I have been a student at Syracuse for one year. So far, my giving back to the Syracuse Community hasn’t been much yet.

But in that year, I have helped Syracuse by hosting students from other schools. It has been a great experience giving back and being able to host students from different backgrounds. I am Hispanic and enjoy giving back and being of service to others.

My past experiences have been when I go back home during my breaks from school. I have volunteered in my community back home.

One that has been in my memory was helping disable children from a Middle School close to my home.

Together with other students we organized a football game for the children that made the children feel so special and valuable. Being involved and seeing the smile on their faces was very rewarding.

I also, have joined the community in raising funds for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.

Helping others that are suffering from Cancer is very gratifying, knowing that I am part of the solution. I will be honored if picked to be able to be of service and giving back to the community.

Sounds like a wonderful young man and well on his way to making us and the university proud

This would not have been possible without the extreme generosity of everyone who participated in this fund raising effort. Great thanks to everyone who contributed to this effort. This truly was a grass roots response to a really screwed up situation with college athletics and I think it is great that we have an example of how NIL is actually supposed to work. Hopefully other groups of fans of Syracuse sports teams (and other schools throughout the country) will take notice and make similar efforts to reward other deserving student athletes. And note if you want to help, if is not too late. We are still looking to raise more money to have more athletes over the coming year.

Congratulations Enrique!

I remember he and his mother visited on their own to tour the campus. I also remember he committed when there was doubt who the Line coach was going to be. He selected Syracuse to get an education. Hats off to him and the committee for selecting him.

Last edited:
Both Enrique and Rhino have accepted our proposals. I expect to speak with both later this week to finalize all details.

I have been keeping the SU Athletics Department informed on our project. I sent an update last night and received an email from John Wildhack within minutes:

“Mark this is awesome. Thank you and the Fine Mess tailgate! Andrew we need to get this story on our media platforms, syracuse.com and every local news station. This is a great story. “

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom