Finebaum on 2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Finebaum on 2019

How in the world is this guy relative or on tv . Just a total goof .

He can carry the water but the problem is the perception becomes reality.
The SEC is the best conference in college football but the non-Alabama SEC teams give off the perception it’s miles better then everyone else and it would be like Buffalo/NY Jets/Miami NFL fans talking up how tough the AFC East is because it’s has the most SBs the last 20 years and SB appearances when it’s all one team.

How does curbstomping the undefeated SEC champ and defending national champ affect perception?

How does curbstomping the undefeated SEC champ and defending national champ affect perception?
It should help but instead Finebaum says Clemson gets a free pass to the playoffs so the solution should be more SEC roadblocks for them.
Which is a stupid argument and why Finebaum/SEC perception of themselves needs to be pushed back against.
Florida/South Carolina/Ole Miss/Mississippi State are not roadblocks. They are just like teams in the ACC.

He should watch the last 2 Syracuse-Clemson games. Might learn something about how to stay within 20 points of a great team.

I agree with him that it is far from a given that Alabama is going to make the playoff. Their crude offense is behind the times. They need to make major changes in this new era of college football, or they can join Ohio State and Michigan, watching the college football playoffs from their living rooms in future years.

They averaged over 45 ppg and threw for ~4,800 yards. I'll admit to not knowing the details of what they run, but it seems like it worked pretty well until last night. How would you go about changing it? Genuinely asking, not being a smart a**

It should help but instead Finebaum says Clemson gets a free pass to the playoffs so the solution should be more SEC roadblocks for them.
Which is a stupid argument and why Finebaum/SEC perception of themselves needs to be pushed back against.
Florida/South Carolina/Ole Miss/Mississippi State are not roadblocks. They are just like teams in the ACC.

I mean if you take what he sad seriously then you’re probably a homer anyway.

I just don’t see getting worked up over talking heads. It’s all pretty much pro wrestling.

Didn't they play two SEC roadblocks this year in South Carolina and Texas A&M? What does he want them to do, play every OOC game against the SEC? That'll get even more difficult as all of the conferences shift to a 9 game schedule. Then the SEC can stick their heads farther in the sand with the "we beat up on ourselves" argument.

When Alabama and LSU and Florida were winning BCS championships wasn't the argument that the tough regular season prepared them for those games? Now Finebaum wants to claim the opposite?

I just don’t see getting worked up over talking heads. It’s all pretty much pro wrestling.
You don’t think propaganda works is what you are saying.

There is a difference between Gottlieb trolling for heat and Finebaum saying this stuff and meaning it.

They averaged over 45 ppg and threw for ~4,800 yards. I'll admit to not knowing the details of what they run, but it seems like it worked pretty well until last night. How would you go about changing it? Genuinely asking, not being a smart a**
Change the scheme. Spread the field. Run tempo. Do the things programs like Clemson, Oklahoma and Syracuse are doing.

Bama can score 45 most games playing against SEC schools and their weak OOC schedule with their current approach given their overwhelming talent. It doesn't work as well against a defense equally as talented.

There are better options out there.

Public perception matters when it comes to recruiting and Finebaum has a big audience.

When can I book my plane ticket for a New Years 6 game with us playing a darling from the SEC?

if your so confident of a New Years 6 game - why cant we play in the final 4?

Change the scheme. Spread the field. Run tempo. Do the things programs like Clemson, Oklahoma and Syracuse are doing.

Bama can score 45 most games playing against SEC schools and their weak OOC schedule with their current approach given their overwhelming talent. It doesn't work as well against a defense equally as talented.

They didn't struggle to rack up yardage, so I would say their system was fine. Their problem was the meathead play calling in the red zone. The fake FG was a horrible, horrible call. Any half brain in Clemson's situation there would play safe and let them try for 3 and the actual play they ran was as bad as you can get. The other failures down there, they ran every play. They didn't throw at all, whereas on their TD earlier, they threw. You have to try a pass the way Clemson was stacking the line. If they get points on those possessions, it would have been an entirely different game.

In reality, Clemson had it easy in the ACC except for one game. Us.

The ACC is not the SEC.
What?? Wait a minute, if Clemson just destroyed Bama and Bama is the class of the SEC then maybe the SEC teams are average. You are assuming that any SEC team will beat an ACC team. I don't see that way at all!

LOL not from Paul f)&@ing Finebaum. He is what he is. But I’m inclined to agree with you because this seems very important for you to be right about.
I get plenty wrong but trust me the crap that comes out of Finebaum’s mouth just like Glenn Beck/Rush Limbaugh etc. infects the minds of those that listen.
Perception becomes reality even when it’s not true.

People forget in 2004 an undefeated SEC champion Auburn was left out of the NC for USC and Oklahoma. That was pre-SEC hype and that was only 14 years ago.

If that happened today no chance Auburn gets left because the perception/propaganda hype of the SEC.
Even if Auburn was the 3rd best team it doesn’t matter and is because of years of people like Finebaum creating the narrative that the end all be all for college football is the SEC.

What?? Wait a minute, if Clemson just destroyed Bama and Bama is the class of the SEC then maybe the SEC teams are average. You are assuming that any SEC team will beat an ACC team. I don't see that way at all!
Exactly the argument Alsacs has been making. When the media repeats it enough, perception becomes reality regardless of evidence.

The top 25 is always loaded with SEC schools. They get the benefit of being ranked pre-season and get huge bumps from beating each other (even if some of those pre-season rankings prove to be over-inflated).
You see this somewhat with the BIG as well.

This explanation just confirms you threw a blind hot take out there.

Bama is almost always in the shotgun with one back and 3 WR's with TE Irv Smith (who is basically a big wide receiver) flexed out in the slot. They had over 440 yards last night despite two drives cut short from turnovers where they were moving the ball pretty well. The game situation and lack of trust in their defense led to them not kicking any field goals when they were inside the 15 or else they have probably another 12 points.

The difference last night was Venebles is a monster and had his defense play sound and disciplined football. Tosh's defense looked like it was the first week of training camp and like he had no business being a P5 DC.

Nc state did us no favors with this perception

Nc state did us no favors with this perception
A&M was better than Florida/Kentucky they are going to be really good next year.
NC State can use the SEC excuse they weren’t motivated for the game because their star WR sat out to prepare for the NFL draft and they were just in the motions.
SEC has good teams like Alabama, Georgia, A&M, and solid teams like LSU, Florida, Kentucky.

The other conferences have good depth as well.

Oklahoma was 105th in plays per game. Clemson was 57th. Alabama was 87th. Syracuse was 2nd. The teams you mentioned are all over the place in terms of plays per game, which is typically how I refer to tempo. (College Football Stats - College FB Team Plays per Game on TeamRankings.com)

Alabama is spreading it out, playing tempo (not sure if they huddled last night) and using the run similarly to Syracuse, utilizing their bruisers up the middle and getting Najee Harris in space on the outside.

Bama didn't lose this game because of their offense. They lost it because their defense couldn't stop anyone (weird sentence to write) and some bizarre coaching decisions.

The reason Bama had such a strong year this year is precisely because they have adapted their offensive system and are no longer stuck with meathead football.

I don’t know why people get upset when Paul Finebaum carries water for the SEC. it’s like getting mad because you found out that the Sun will rise tomorrow morning.

Don't you mean clouds and rain, it's Syracuse and its fans after all. ;):)

“The problem’s not Clemson, its getting out of the SEC...”

“...Clemson will be there next year because no one in the ACC can stop them”

If we don’t beat Clemson next year, I hope we See Auburn/LSU/Georgia in the post season and kick them in a ditch

I don't think that is even an accurate statement. Since the 2008-2009 Alabama has made it to the championship game 7 of the 10 years, I think they are "getting out of the SEC" just fine.

Oklahoma was 105th in plays per game. Clemson was 57th. Alabama was 87th. Syracuse was 2nd. The teams you mentioned are all over the place in terms of plays per game, which is typically how I refer to tempo. (College Football Stats - College FB Team Plays per Game on TeamRankings.com)

Alabama is spreading it out, playing tempo (not sure if they huddled last night) and using the run similarly to Syracuse, utilizing their bruisers up the middle and getting Najee Harris in space on the outside.

Bama didn't lose this game because of their offense. They lost it because their defense couldn't stop anyone (weird sentence to write) and some bizarre coaching decisions.

The reason Bama had such a strong year this year is precisely because they have adapted their offensive system and are no longer stuck with meathead football.
that's not the way to measure tempo.

oklahoma takes 2 plays to score every drive

we're going to get better and faster and run fewer plays