Finebaum on 2019 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Finebaum on 2019

The SEC dosn' t do well in bowl season, and they always say they don't care. Quit scheduling the SunBelt every year, and everyone play an ACC team each year. I want Auburn every year, because we owe them for Tie Dye.

I can't argue with someone who thinks scoring 3 points in 3 quarters is not a problem. Fine, whatever...

3 quarters doesn't define an offense.

Tua made some bad throws. That's not a scheme problem. It was a sophomore getting fooled by exotic defensive looks not common at the collegiate level.

But, Alabama plays at tempo and spreads the field. Any opinion on them not doing it is incorrect by any statistical measure in the 2018-2019 season regardless of how many points they scored in a given 3 quarter interval.

I can't argue with someone who thinks scoring 3 points in 3 quarters is not a problem. Fine, whatever...
I read the back and forth between you guys. Aside from them not playing well last night, what is it about Alabama's offense that makes you think it isn't modern?

Alabama has recruited insane WRs for the last decade.
Julio Jones
Amari Cooper
Calvin Ridley
now Jerry Juddy.

The Alabama offense was different this year because it was a lot more pass oriented than run base.
The previous Alabama teams were more RBs and defense.
Mark Ingram
Trent Richardson
Derrick Henry
Bo Scarborough
Damien Williams

This team was vertical with a top tier NFL QB prospect as the QB in Tua.

Yeah, I mean, I'd probably say dumb things to excuse Saban and Alabama collectively crapping their pants all over the field too.

He should watch the last 2 Syracuse-Clemson games. Might learn something about how to stay within 20 points of a great team.

I agree with him that it is far from a given that Alabama is going to make the playoff. Their crude offense is behind the times. They need to make major changes in this new era of college football, or they can join Ohio State and Michigan, watching the college football playoffs from their living rooms in future years.

Not sure about this one... way over the top... no strong evidence to suggest bama wont continue its run...

Gonna die on this hill huh? Don't think anyone that watches a lot of college football and watched Alabama this year is going to agree with you. They don't run anything even remotely close to something that could be described as a crude offense. This isn't the same team that would just ground and pound the crap out of everyone. If this was your 1st Bama game of the year then maybe you can sort of come to that conclusion but in that case you must not have watched them a week ago when they had 528 yards and 45 points in a playoff game.

Excuses are the sign of a true coward. Be a man and tip your cap and say well done but no, they have to make up excuses.

Just look to the fake FG attempt.
The announcer called it and everyone else besides Nicky knew it was a terrible call.
Bama got a proper shed beating, no way to defend it...

3 quarters doesn't define an offense.

Tua made some bad throws. That's not a scheme problem. It was a sophomore getting fooled by exotic defensive looks not common at the collegiate level.

But, Alabama plays at tempo and spreads the field. Any opinion on them not doing it is incorrect by any statistical measure in the 2018-2019 season regardless of how many points they scored in a given 3 quarter interval.
Are you serious? Alabama finished the season 87th in the country in plays per game. That no where close to playing tempo.

It is hard to beat a great defense. A great scheme, and great coaches can really help overcome a talent disadvantage. I don't think Bama had a great scheme and I don't think they had a great OC either.

Points are ultimately how an offense is measured. You can choose to ignore them if you wish. Let's agree to disagree.

Are you serious? Alabama finished the season 87th in the country in plays per game. That no where close to playing tempo.

It is hard to beat a great defense. A great scheme, and great coaches can really help overcome a talent disadvantage. I don't think Bama had a great scheme and I don't think they had a great OC either.

Points are ultimately how an offense is measured. You can choose to ignore them if you wish. Let's agree to disagree.

That's fine. But Oklahoma was 105 in plays per game.

Millhouse, who apparently I misunderstood when mentioning tempo effectiveness. Oklahoma was 1, Alabama was 2.

I agree on OC play-calling yesterday, in no way saying it was good. That wasn't the comment though.

You have a lot of great observations and enjoy reading your write-ups, but the observation that Bama does not play at tempo is incorrect.

Last edited:

Millhouse, who is much smarter than me, says tempo is points per play. Oklahoma was 1, Alabama was 2.

I agree on OC play-calling yesterday, in no way saying it was good. That wasn't the comment though.

You have a lot of great observations and enjoy reading your write-ups, but the observation that Bama does not play at tempo is incorrect.
i didn't say that. what is going on with you

What the game proved to me is that perhaps you can’t make assumptions about a team because of its’ P5 conference affiliation. Only head to head competition really proves anything. It would be just as relevant a take saying that the SEC was overrated. Did he mention that Georgia got beaten by Texas who lost to Maryland and WVU?

In reality, Clemson had it easy in the ACC except for one game. Us.

The ACC is not the SEC.

Not yet. And in terms of attendance and traveling fan bases that the bowls seem to love will never be on that level. But in terms of on-the-field play I don't see why the ACC can't be. I won't say that football is cyclical because even if that is true the ACC has never truly had an amazing up cycle, they have been basically flat over the decades. But beginning in 2012, things started on an upward cycle for real. And winning 3 championships over the past 6 years is amazing for this conference. And there have been some impressive non-CFP/NC Bowl wins since 2012 as well even outside of Clemson and FSU with GT, UL, Miami, and this year us beating ranked teams to support what Clemson and FSU have done.

No reason except for maybe the ruling in Alston vs NCAA will impact the ability for the ACC to continue to improve their on-the-field performances in the future. But again, you are correct, the ACC isn't the SEC yet.

Cheers,
Neil

Ok, so in that case Alabama finished 3rd in PPG, 0.1 pts behind #2. They finished 2nd in pts per play. They finshed 2nd in pts per drive. They finished 2nd in yards per play. They finished 2nd in offensive efficiency. I struggle to find how you can possibly read those numbers and not come away with them having an incredible offense this year.

i didn't say that. what is going on with you

I measured tempo by plays per game. You said that was wrong. I used plays per game because it is the goal established by Babers. In your retort of me using that, you mentioned points per play.

I apologize I misinterpreted what you said.

I measured tempo by plays per game. You said that was wrong. I used plays per game because it is the goal established by Babers. In your retort of me using that, you mentioned points per play.

I apologize I misinterpreted what you said.

I think even that doesn't really work that well because these powerhouse teams like Alabama and Oklahoma score so fast and in Alabama's case get up by so much so fast that they are just trying to grind the clock out for the majority of the 2nd half. Not sure what standalone state could accurately show what we are looking for here.

Other than their rival OOC games, how many times do SEC teams actually play at the school they are playing? They control their environment to the nth degree and yet no one calls them out on it like they always did SU basketball. It is a talented bunch of schools but you add up that kind of schedule, pre-season hype and 8 (yes I know ACC does this but they also travel) conference games and you end up getting some skewed stats and the blessing of the pundits who sing their praises.

I think even that doesn't really work that well because these powerhouse teams like Alabama and Oklahoma score so fast and in Alabama's case get up by so much so fast that they are just trying to grind the clock out for the majority of the 2nd half. Not sure what standalone state could accurately show what we are looking for here.
Alabama can’t play tempo because they are so good they score fast and don’t need to run a lot of plays in a row.
Tempo is for teams to wear the opposing team like we did against Clemson last year.

Alabama played a high octane offensive game but not a tempo game.

Millhouse, who apparently I misunderstood when mentioning tempo effectiveness. Oklahoma was 1, Alabama was 2.

College Football Stats - College FB Team Plays per Game on TeamRankings.com

Alabama is listed at 87th in plays per game. I would not consider them anywhere close to playing at tempo. If you want to change the discussion and talk about points per play or something else, fine. The Syracuse coaching staff measures it's tempo by plays per game. I believe all schools use this as their temp metric.

Best I can find is this one:

https://www.cfbanalytics.com/2018-tempo

Sorted by plays/minute, Oklahoma is 2.25, Alabama is 2.24.

What the NCAA really needs is that stat like the NFL mentioned in one of their write-ups, that was able to have the advanced stats for game margin.

Comparing big hitters, Oklahoma would run 5.26 plays per possession, Alabama would run 4.97 plays per possession.

Just look to the fake FG attempt.
The announcer called it and everyone else besides Nicky knew it was a terrible call.
Bama got a proper shed beating, no way to defend it...

Clemson was lined up in a regular defense for the most part.

Greg Robinson himself may have even called a timeout there.

It reminded me of the end of Miracle when the Soviet coach doesn't pull the goalie, and the Herb Brooks line was "he doesn't know what to do". Saban was in unfamiliar territory.