Fishes and Loaves | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Fishes and Loaves

One of the points you're making gets swept under the rug, given all of the disappointment about the 5 game slide after the hot start.

We sustained killer injuries that were just to difficult to overcome in some cases. On defense, the toll was heavy -- and we STILL almost shook it off. But a guy like Garret Williams is a difference-maker, and things aren't the same without him. Similar story with Lockett / Thompson.

The offense was dynamic... until Shrader couldn't run anymore, then it was vanilla and easy to defend. It wasn't because the offensive concept was poor, it was because the personnel were beat up.

We were very, very close to having an exceptional year [which I view as 9 wins], but got derailed by critical injuries. Too bad, given the start.

One quibble, the O was different than 2021 but it was inconsistent. Especially after teams got a look at our new O. So how much was Sharder's injury vs D adjustments?

Louisville we looked great. NC State minus the TOs was good. 1st halves vs Clemson and Wake as well. Then the end of the BC game. The rest we had moments but lacked overall production. So dynamic IMO is a bit of an oversell.

Purdue Shrader was 13-29 for 181 and 18 for 42 rushing for Tucker.

UVA we scored our first and last drives. In between we had 10 drives resulting in 12 points, 3 of which were thanks to a D turnover. We had 3 TOs of our own.

Then we have 2nd halves of Clemson and Wake, and the ND, Pitt, FSU games plus the 1st 3 Qs vs BC.

We showed potential for a good O and gives me hope.

One quibble, the O was different than 2021 but it was inconsistent. Especially after teams got a look at our new O. So how much was Sharder's injury vs D adjustments?

Louisville we looked great. NC State minus the TOs was good. 1st halves vs Clemson and Wake as well. Then the end of the BC game. The rest we had moments but lacked overall production. So dynamic IMO is a bit of an oversell.

Purdue Shrader was 13-29 for 181 and 18 for 42 rushing for Tucker.

UVA we scored our first and last drives. In between we had 10 drives resulting in 12 points, 3 of which were thanks to a D turnover. We had 3 TOs of our own.

Then we have 2nd halves of Clemson and Wake, and the ND, Pitt, FSU games plus the 1st 3 Qs vs BC.

We showed potential for a good O and gives me hope.

I see it differently. O was fine but:
  • OL was subpar [again], and then dealt with late season injuries
  • Tucker was a little dinged up
  • Shrader injured his foot, and it got worse as the season progressed [hecouldn't even plant to make throws in the ND game -- that's why he got replaced to start the 2nd half]
  • Anae / Dino weren't on the same page in terms of utilizing the run game

Even against a team of 5/4 star defensive players at Clemson, we had a chance to win that game at the end, before Shrader threw a pick. If we improve the OL, the offense looks a lot better.

Agree about UVa -- that was a big letdown.

Miami had four straight top 20 nationally recruiting classes from 2018-2021 and they went 5-7 last year.

Sean Tucker was considered a 3 star
Garrett Williams considered a 3 star
Matthew Bergeron considered a 3 star
So what?

I’ll share a few anonymous comments on three young players who will break out.

A veteran player who has been here almost as long as Dino said Enrique Cruz has the quickest feet and best athleticism of any offensive lineman he has played with. And it’s not close. A staff member said he is an absolute, sure fire NFL player with potential All Pro upside.

Umari Hatcher was described as having the highest ceiling of any WR on the roster. Just needs to get stronger to beat press and he’s working his ass off to get there.

Two players said Denis Jaquez was borderline unblockable in the spring. They also thought Terry Lockett had improved to all-ACC level. Those two injuries, particularly Lockett, were killers.

Looking forward to the Pinstripe Bowl to see all three. I am especially interested in seeing how Enrique fills in for Berg, assuming that’s how it plays out.

I was responding to someone complaining about our recruiting class. When we don’t have any clue about their talent level or work ethic. The coaches have shown they can find talent.
We need more than 3 players and a few winning seasons a decade. Point stands. We need better players to succeed in the ACC.

We need more than 3 players and a few winning seasons a decade. Point stands. We need better players to succeed in the ACC.
But who’s to say these new recruits aren’t talented or won’t turn out to be talented players? Did we all think that those 3 3 stars were all future NFLers when they signed? But to already sign off on this class I don’t think is warranted.

But who’s to say these new recruits aren’t talented or won’t turn out to be talented players? Did we all think that those 3 3 stars were all future NFLers when they signed? But to already sign off on this class I don’t think is warranted.
Those few talented players have gotten us 3 Winning seasons in 10. 2 of them were 1 game above .500.
We need more, I want more. More talented players for more wins. Nothing else matters.
These recruiting classes are the same levels as the past. Any blind 'golly gosh gee' you never know mentality comes across as naivete

So what?

So what? So let’s dance!

07AF1756-9BF9-48B4-A13C-CA243652DFC9.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors