Fishes and Loaves | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Fishes and Loaves

Really helpful reference for February recruiting and spring ball. The only potential changes I see: Cohoon gets a serious look at OWR. The kid is 6-2 state 100m champ - more of a speed guy than a space guy. I would also switch Sparrow with Wax on the basis of form factor. At the WILL Sparrow (219) faces a TE ... whereas Wax (239) would face a center or guard in the middle (MIKE). ZMG could play early and Rice's stout build (260 lbs?) portends his future position is battering ram (MIKE).

As to the DL ...what a blessing to have a numbers "problem". On the interior, assuming Rocky prefers 270-290 'explosion-type' players who thrive in his system, we can expect the platoon strategy to continue. This was effective last year and will keep guys better rested for the 4th quarter and less likely to be injured by November. Ingraham brings some beef for sure. Lots of talent and depth on the edge. Love it.

Edit: Rice's individual bio in the SU signing day literature lists his weight at 220, but in the list it's 260. I think the 260 is a typo as Lackawana's website has him at 220 also.

agreed. Cohoon will get his first look at OWR imo.

Inside DL numbers are perfect.

Goddard quote, "I really liked the position meeting. I got a chance to talk football with coach White and see how I would fit into the scheme.

"I would play where Marlowe Wax currently is. He sees a lot of similarities in our game. I like it. It's similar to what I play now."

My concern right now is the Pinstripe Bowl.

Will we have enough players to actually compete against Minnesota??

Enough to play? Yes.

Enough to compete? Hmmm...

Lots of issues (injuries, portal moves, opt outs) affecting player availability.

Enough to play? Yes.

Enough to compete? Hmmm...

Lots of issues (injuries, portal moves, opt outs) affecting player availability.
So no Tucker, Bergeron, Williams, Thompson, Lockett, Simmons, Jacquez, Duce, Jahad plus other portals and the other season ending injuries.

So no Tucker, Bergeron, Williams, Thompson, Lockett, Simmons, Jacquez, Duce, Jahad plus other portals and the other season ending injuries.

Maybe...

2 scholarship RBs available (one with only 12 snaps this season)

4 scholarship CBs available (1 with 3 snaps and 1 with zero snaps)

3 scholarship LBs available (?)

Does anyone have any of that magical water I see trainers pour on soccer players when they're down on the field injured that allows them to come back and play as though they were never hurt?

Can I get ten gallons of that water?

Sellers is going to sign with us all you glass half empties can...

superman-kneel-before-zod.gif
Hope you're right@

Maybe...

Does anyone have any of that magical water I see trainers pour on soccer players when they're down on the field injured that allows them to come back and play as though they were never hurt?

Can I get ten gallons of that water
Maybe...

Can I get ten gallons of that water?
Wait, how are there only 3 scholarship LBs available? Jones, Wax, Sparrow, Roon, Mason, Lowery etc.

I think our defense looks really solid again. Assuming the core of what’s left stays. Some unproven talent but highly rated talent. Offense definitely some more question marks but if we can have a solid O-Line, a number 2 receiver emerges and a healthy Shrader all season. Watch out. Early prediction for first night starters/position battles.

DEFENSE
—————
DE-JG/Perry
DT-Lockett/Ingraham
DE-Caleb

LB-Thompson
LB-Wax
LB-Rice/McDonald

CB-Johnson
CB-Wilson/Bellamy

S-Simmons/Oliver
S-Gould/Clark

Rover-Barron

OFFENSE
—————
QB-Shrader

RB-Allen/Price

TE-Orande
WR-Alford
WR-Jones
WR-Peña/Adam’s
WR-Hatcher/Brown

LT-Cruz
LG-Ellis
C-Reed
RG-Bleich/Moeolo
RT-More/Carlos (if he returns)

Obviously some players can transfer out but I think all these guys listed other than maybe Carlos will be here next season. I think we will try to add another Receiver or tight end in the group. Possibly another defensive end as well.

Last edited:
I think our defense looks really solid again. Assuming the core of what’s left stays. Some unproven talent but highly rated talent. Offense definitely some more question marks but if we can have a solid O-Line, a number 2 receiver emerges and a healthy Shrader all season. Watch out. Early prediction for first night starters/position battles.

DEFENSE
—————
DE-JG/Perry
DT-Lockett/Ingraham
DE-Caleb

LB-Thompson
LB-Wax
LB-Rice/McDonald

CB-Johnson
CB-Wilson/Bellamy

S-Simmons/Oliver
S-Gould/Clark

Rover-Barron

OFFENSE
—————
QB-Shrader

RB-Allen/Price

TE-Orande
WR-Alford
WR-Peña
WR-Adams
WR-Hatcher/Brown

LT-Cruz
LG-Ellis
C-Reed
RG-Bleich/Moeolo

Obviously some players can transfer out but I think all these guys listed other than maybe Carlos will be here next season. I think we will try to add another Receiver or tight end in the group. Possibly another defensive end as well.

Did you overlook Jones at WR?

DEFENSE
—————
DE-JG/Perry
DT-Lockett/Ingraham
DE-Caleb

LB-Thompson
LB-Wax
LB-Rice/McDonald

CB-Johnson
CB-Wilson/Bellamy

S-Simmons/Oliver
S-Gould/Clark

Rover-Barron

OFFENSE
—————
QB-Shrader

RB-Allen/Price

TE-Orande
WR-Alford
WR-Jones
WR-Peña/Adam’s
WR-Hatcher/Brown

LT-Cruz
LG-Ellis
C-Reed
RG-Bleich/Moeolo

Any room for Sparrow?

I love the DL group. Could probably rotate 9-10 guys.

Caleb, Geer, Jobity, Jaquez, Lockett, Darton, Ingraham etc. Plus Perry, Simmons, Nolton, Fuentes. Lots of potential.

Agreed.

So, hard to know how many scholarships are still available, knowing that we are going to bring some portal transfer candidates in to visit in January, and we probably want to keep some open for after spring practice. Here's the priority I see:

WR - starting caliber
TE - starting caliber
OG?
CB?

My concern right now is the Pinstripe Bowl.

Will we have enough players to actually compete against Minnesota??
Yes, certainly we have enough players to compete.

It'll likely get weird because some guys that haven't had big roles will see more snaps than we're used to, but that's fine. There's been sufficient time to prepare for that.

Ok. I’m back to this game not being an event like bowl games used to be. Kind of depressing if this is how our future bowl games feel too.
Team should just make the trip and go enjoy NYC, and then claim bus trouble or something and skip the completely pointless game.

Any room for Sparrow?
Yeah I think he’s in the rotation. I think he’s behind Thompson and Wax when those guys need a blow. I think the 3rd backer spot is between Rice and McDonald. I still think Sparrow gets a good amount of snaps though just not as a starter next year, barring injury

Yeah I think he’s in the rotation. I think he’s behind Thompson and Wax when those guys need a blow. I think the 3rd backer spot is between Rice and McDonald. I still think Sparrow gets a good amount of snaps though just not as a starter next year, barring injury

We had five linebackers who played a lot this year, after the Thompson injury.

I'm just going to assume that Wax returns. If he does, he anchors what was a terrific unit this year. Thompson returns, so there's our middle linebacker. McDonald's started most of the year, missing some time due to injury. And Lowry and Sparrow played a ton, and looked like difference makers intermittently. Either one of those guys could slide into the lineup ahead of McDonald.

But there's five experience guys right off the bat, which gives us experienced depth and position flexibility.

And we have some intriguing options in the pipeline. Rice was rated as the #2 JUCO linebacker in the country. Bailey has great bloodlines (NFL'er Boss Bailey's kid). And Mason is an athletic specimen.

In addition to Rice, we also add a 240 pound frosh who is one of the best players in New York state and seems physically suited to take over for Wax or Thompson down the road.

All of which points to the linebacker core being one of the most talented units on next year's team, with improved depth. Some of those guys might have to wait their turn, but should at minimum contribute on special teams. The future looks bright for LB.

DEFENSE
—————
DE-JG/Perry
DT-Lockett/Ingraham
DE-Caleb

LB-Thompson
LB-Wax
LB-Rice/McDonald

CB-Johnson
CB-Wilson/Bellamy

S-Simmons/Oliver
S-Gould/Clark

Rover-Barron

OFFENSE
—————
QB-Shrader

RB-Allen/Price

TE-Orande
WR-Alford
WR-Jones
WR-Peña/Adam’s
WR-Hatcher/Brown

LT-Cruz
LG-Ellis
C-Reed
RG-Bleich/Moeolo

Pretty good stab at it.

I'll go: (injuries need to heal of course)

DE: Geer/Jaquez
DE: Oke/Simmons/Nolton
DT: Lockett/Ingraham/Darton
LB: Thompson
LB: Wax
LB: Sparrow
CB: Johnson
CB: Wilson
Rov: Barron
S: Clark
S: Gould

I am usually a glass half full guy but this looks like we are in trouble. This doesn't look like a ranked team or, perhaps, even a bowl team to me.

A key injury here or there and, unless we have a pleasant surprise or two, we can spiral down pretty quickly. We can pooh pooh the star rankings all we want but we can't keep bringing up the rear in the ACC and expect to succeed.

I am very concerned.
Miami had four straight top 20 nationally recruiting classes from 2018-2021 and they went 5-7 last year.

Sean Tucker was considered a 3 star
Garrett Williams considered a 3 star
Matthew Bergeron considered a 3 star

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online