Flopping | Syracusefan.com

Flopping

OrangeSky

2nd String
I'm a big fan but not too knowledgeable about strategy.
Is there anything a team can do when their opponent is flopping like crazy and the refs buy into it? I could ask the same about hand checking.

I'm guessing you will know why I asked these questions.

LGO!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27757-1363102289-15.gif

NCAA could eliminate it in two seconds. Stop rewarding it by calling charges and make flopping a technical.

Agree. I don't know anything about soccer but don't they penalize flopping in their sport? The refs fell for it a couple of times last night and generally over-officiated like crazy with numerous touch fouls.

It's obviously a judgment call but if they penalized egregious flopping then it would make the refs job a whole lot easier if the floppers knew there was a price to pay. The right call on many of these plays is to play on but too many refs feel compelled to make a call just because somebody hits the deck.

NCAA could eliminate it in two seconds. Stop rewarding it by calling charges and make flopping a technical.

The only trouble is that if a numbskull ref can't make an obvious block/charge call properly, how many unjustified technicals are they going to be handing out?

That said, I was in the same boat as you during the game - if there's any integrity to the game of basketball, the way that white kid played should earn a technical or an ejection. He wasn't even trying to defend.

Tell our guards to grow their hair out so they flail enough for the refs to notice?

Not much you can do given the current state of Officiating.

Alsacs point about Karl Malone is actually legit but if you purposefully drive and the refs can see intent on putting your knee or elbow into the defender, you're gone. Knock someone's teeth out with your elbow on a drive when they step in for a charge and the other players won't be very excited to keep doing that.

Tell our guards to grow their hair out so they flail enough for the refs to notice?

Not much you can do given the current state of Officiating.

Alsacs point about Karl Malone is actually legit but if you purposefully drive and the refs can see intent on putting your knee or elbow into the defender, you're gone. Knock someone's teeth out with your elbow on a drive when they step in for a charge and the other players won't be very excited to keep doing that.
I wouldn’t advise an elbow but a knee to the groin wouldn’t be flagarant if you are driving with a knee up.
You can’t control the knee like you can an elbow.

They showed highlights last night after the game. ON EVERY BATTLE DRIVE THEY SHOWED!!, the defender was either falling backwards or for flailing his head and arms like he got punched in the stomach.

I rewatched the one play where the guy ran into Dole while he was on defense and he literally fell like he fainting

It's an embarassment and the sport is broken until they fix it.

They showed highlights last night after the game. ON EVERY BATTLE DRIVE THEY SHOWED!!, the defender was either falling backwards or for flailing his head and arms like he got punched in the stomach.

I rewatched the one play where the guy ran into Dole while he was on defense and he literally fell like he fainting

That was was even more infuriating because Hurley went berserk after they didn't blow the whistle. He spent 20 or 30 seconds berating the nearest ref and they made an obviously make-up call against Syracuse later that possession.

By the way, Dolezaj moved his feet better on that play than any ASU guy did in drawing a BS charge call all night.

Agreed. Yet there were quite a few folks on the board last night that felt that some of the charge calls were legit.

Tyus pushes off a lot. Teams prep for it and the flops get a cheap call.

Tyus pushes off a lot. Teams prep for it and the flops get a cheap call.

Lebron James pushes off a lot too yet I don't see players FLYING TO THE GROUND when he pushes them like he's the hulk. And he's a lot bigger than Tyus.

I see our guards get screened by a moving center like 50 percent of the time yet I don't see our guards fly into the guys moving hip and fall to the ground. We could! But we don't because it's gross and it's not basketball. Prepping for flopping is not basketball

I know how to fix this -

Change the rule such that the secondary defender has no entitlement to space. None. If you're a secondary defender your only option is to make a defensive play on the ball or give up your body. That's it.

Primary defenders can benefit from a charge call, but change the rule so that a charge is a team foul and turnover, thus not counting against any individual player's foul count. This rule would exist because collegiate officiating simply can't tolerate anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom