Football 2022 Away Game Discussion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Football 2022 Away Game Discussion

I’m definitely in for UConn - quick trip from Fairfield.

Rest will depend on schedule but I’d like to make it to Clemson with my son. Been on the bucket list.

Last time we did BC was Eric’s senior year and had a blast. But outside at Thanksgiving can be hit or miss - that would be more fun if it was earlier in the year this time. Spoiled by the Dome.

Looking at the five game away schedule as we know it

@UConn, Sept 10th
Ordinarily this would be a huge away game draw. Sadly, Elton John is playing in the Dome that night. However, the Fine Mess will be doing an away game tailgate at the Aircraft Club across the street from the stadium. The Aircraft Club (Aero Club) is one of the best tailgate set ups in college football for visiting fans.
This is the only walkable hotel to the tailgate and stadium. If you decide to book: you might think about a separate reservation for Friday night and Saturday night. Cancel the one you don't use after the kickoff time is announced. We should know the kickoff time by early summer.

@Wake Forest (Date: TBD) we seem to mostly get them mid season. This is one of the easier tailgate setups in the ACC. Assuming no date conflicts, I expect a Fine Mess Tailgate here. Motels are usually plentiful. A Marriot and Best Western is walkable to the stadium and tailgate.

Clemson (Date: TBD) generally we get this game mid season. Bucket list experience. Clemson should be down somewhat. Depending on the date we might try to do a tailgate. It isn't the easiest place to tailgate at...Motels are problematic. I suggest booking ASAP after the schedule is released if you plan to stay in town. I usually stay 30-60 mins out of town to save some $$$.

@BC and @Pitt (Dates: TBD) our "rivals" but we almost always have one of these games at Thanksgiving. Tailgating is a PITA at BC. Pitt is much easier. We'll see how the schedule falls if one of these games is early/mid season to encourage a better away game turnout. The Fine Mess hasn't done a game at either location in awhile. BC in 2016 IIRC and Pitt way back in 2006.

So which games do you think you might attend?
AS many as schedule will allow, already saw Sir Elton show in Vegas in 2019, so no conflict there, I am thinking Uconn and Pitt for sure, 2018 at Pitt was a blast. BC possible{maybe Amtrak to Boston}, Wake less likely but doable and Clemson least likely(good atmosphere but hard place to get to)

UCONN 100%.

In fact, I'll host people the night before for booze and Dinosaur BBQ on me* then make the 90-minute drive to the Stadium the next day.

* - provided you convince Dinosaur BBQ to re-open the restaurant they had around here. Sigh.

UConn and BC, for sure. I'll be able to do both Friday night football, and Saturday afternoon. I think I'll need to make the trip to Clemson.

Are we going to outnumber UConn fans? Lol

Date, COVID and work schedule dependent but I'd love to join you guys for Wake Forest...

Just asking, if the dome is half full on Norte Dame fans, do we consider that an away game?

Looking at the five game away schedule as we know it

@UConn, Sept 10th
Ordinarily this would be a huge away game draw. Sadly, Elton John is playing in the Dome that night. However, the Fine Mess will be doing an away game tailgate at the Aircraft Club across the street from the stadium. The Aircraft Club (Aero Club) is one of the best tailgate set ups in college football for visiting fans.
This is the only walkable hotel to the tailgate and stadium. If you decide to book: you might think about a separate reservation for Friday night and Saturday night. Cancel the one you don't use after the kickoff time is announced. We should know the kickoff time by early summer.

@Wake Forest (Date: TBD) we seem to mostly get them mid season. This is one of the easier tailgate setups in the ACC. Assuming no date conflicts, I expect a Fine Mess Tailgate here. Motels are usually plentiful. A Marriott and Best Western are walkable to the stadium and tailgate.

Clemson (Date: TBD) generally we get this game mid season. Bucket list experience. Clemson should be down somewhat. Depending on the date we might try to do a tailgate. It isn't the easiest place to tailgate at...Motels are problematic. I suggest booking ASAP after the schedule is released if you plan to stay in town. I usually stay 30-60 mins out of town to save some $$$.

@BC and @Pitt (Dates: TBD) our "rivals" but we almost always have one of these games at Thanksgiving. Tailgating is a PITA at BC. Pitt is much easier. We'll see how the schedule falls if one of these games is early/mid season to encourage a better away game turnout. The Fine Mess hasn't done a game at either location in awhile. BC in 2016 IIRC and Pitt way back in 2006.

So which games do you think you might attend?
Mark I’m going to be in for UConn and Wake. Probably 10 for UConn and 2 for Wake.
Roger

UConn, Boston College, Clemson possible depending on the date.

Maybe Pitt. Depends on if the game is scheduled while we're on vacation in the Caribbean!

Anguilla4.jpg

Wake is probably my favorite ACC away tailgate/venue because it offers easy tailgating and the stadium is a piece of cake to navigate. Wake fans also are really chill.

Winston-Salem however is kinda boring but there are things to do nearby. Depending on the date I might try and bring my better half and spend a day or two in Asheville or similar.

Last edited:
Wake is probably my favorite ACC away tailgate/venue because it offers easy tailgating and the stadium is a piece of cake to navigate. Wake fans also are really chill.

Winston-Salem however is kinda boring but there are things to do nearby. Depending on the date I might try and bring my better half and spend a day or two in Asheville or similar.
It was admittedly during Hurricane Matthew but I was impressed with their stadium as well, great sight lines and close to the field.

Of course the sight lines might have been good due to the attendance that night being roughly 250 people…

It was admittedly during Hurricane Matthew but I was impressed with their stadium as well, great sight lines and close to the field.

Of course the sight lines might have been good due to the attendance that night being roughly 250 people…
Yup, I was there. The tailgate was a disaster

Wake is very convenient for me as well (northern suburb of Atlanta). Drive up to Charlotte on Friday night and have a nice dinner. Get up early on Saturday and hit the tailgate. Drive home after the game (assuming a noon-1:30 kickoff) or return to Charlotte (for a later kickoff).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom