Football Schedule Released Tomorrow 3pm | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Football Schedule Released Tomorrow 3pm

Anyone who could read tealeaves knew the Notre Dame Metlife games were considered Syracuse home games ergo my whole hatred of the Notre Dame games threads in December.

HtownOrange said:
The choices at this schedule and an AAAAACCKK! schedule. Temple and UConn or Clemson and FSU? I know which I prefer but then I have never been a fan of scheduling cupcakes to pretend 10 wins versus pop warner teams is a really worth bragging rights.

Nobody is unhappy with who we play. We knew who was on our schedule. It's infinitely better than playing a Yaack schedule. It's the construct of it.

On depth... look, we're now in the 6th year post-GumpRob. At some point we gotta stop talking about depth like it's some unmanageable albatross. If we can't build at least some fashion of sufficient depth in six years then we're just not recruiting well enough, and no schedule configuration will allow us to mask that.

On November/road games... we play 4 ACC teams on the road every year. I don't understand this point at all. 3 of those 4 roadies are imminently winnable, and 2 of them occur immediately after our 2nd bye week. Good teams win road games, and SU has done a pretty darn good job of winning road games against our peer set over the past few years.

On the bye weeks... it's legitimate to wish the bye in week 2 was a couple weeks later. At the same time, people have bitched incessantly for years and years about our too-difficult opening schedule. This year is a cupcake as SU has ever had since I set foot on campus 22 years ago. FCS, Bye, MAC, Maryland at home. I mean that's begging for a 3-0 start. And we can't have it both ways, if we want to open easy then we will have to face a tougher run at some point in the schedule.

If this program is really improving as everyone here wants to believe, then there are 8 wins for the taking on this schedule.

you do realize that we lost our HC last season, and had the core of a strong recruiting class gutted. Last year's class was very poor imo. Sure we did a good job of putting some band aids on it, but it was full of JC's, some who may never play, and 5 post signing day additions. Last year as much as people don't want to admit it was a small setback in our development. The staff is making up for it this year on the trail, but some damage was done

3 of our winnable opponents (ND, Wake, NCST) will have two weeks to prepare for us, which is not ideal. On the upside we will have a week off to lick our wounds before finishing the season with two winnable games on the road, potentially with a bowl game on the line. I'm excited!

you do realize that we lost our HC last season, and had the core of a strong recruiting class gutted. Last year's class was very poor imo. Sure we did a good job of putting some band aids on it, but it was full of JC's, some who may never play, and 5 post signing day additions. Last year as much as people don't want to admit it was a small setback in our development. The staff is making up for it this year on the trail, but some damage was done

Not sound callous, but happens, right?

Back in the 90s when we had some of our most talented teams ever assembled at SU, we had depth issues. We're never going to have optimal depth. Some years we may be able to withstand injuries and unexpected poor performance than others, but we're never going to be a "next man up" type program.

So losing our minds over how our the schedule lays out re: depth concerns just seems goofy to me.

Not sound callous, but happens, right?

Back in the 90s when we had some of our most talented teams ever assembled at SU, we had depth issues. We're never going to have optimal depth. Some years we may be able to withstand injuries and unexpected poor performance than others, but we're never going to be a "next man up" type program.

So losing our minds over how our the schedule lays out re: depth concerns just seems goofy to me.

I definitely don't think anyone is losing their minds over it, just pointing out the fact that it's a tough schedule. And I realize coaching changes happen, but that just backs up my point that we are still a year or 2 away from having optimal depth.

I definitely don't think anyone is losing their minds over it, just pointing out the fact that it's a tough schedule. And I realize coaching changes happen, but that just backs up my point that we are still a year or 2 away from having optimal depth.

I don't know, calling it an "absolute disaster" seems to cross the line from thoughtful notation to mind losing.

;)

Nobody is unhappy with who we play. We knew who was on our schedule. It's infinitely better than playing a Yaack schedule. It's the construct of it.[/quote

Understood. Did anyone seriously think that the ACC would intentionally do us any favors? We are the new guys and we are NOT located in NC. Unless the ACC told SU to leave open the second week, that is the scheduler's fault -a self inflicted wound.

We are not going to beat FSU or Clemson unless things are perfect and everyone else is beatable. Seven or eight regular season wins is quite doable.

We beat Louisville with Strong and TB and no we play them without both, I am confident that HCSS can win this game.

I think we lose 3-5 games because of lack of depth/injury and maybe one of these due to coaching but otherwise, it really is not that bad of a schedule.

Is SU actually going to give students the full week of Thanksgiving off in the future? Thought it was a one-time thing because of Thanksgiving and Hanukkah being at the same time.

Didn't realize that, just figured that was how it worked now.

So disappointed...Just realized that Yom Kippur begins the same night as the Louisville game. Literally the one Friday night all year I will not be able to attend is the day we get the conference opener.

SU always tried to put home football games towards the evening on the day of Yom Kippur in deference to the large Jewish student population and fan base (and certainly never played on the evening where it starts). Clearly TV drives the bus but I hope they at least indicated that night was not their top choice.

SUOrange44

So disappointed...Just realized that Yom Kippur begins the same night as the Louisville game. Literally the one Friday night all year I will not be able to attend is the day we get the conference opener.

SU always tried to put home football games towards the evening on the day of Yom Kippur in deference to the large Jewish student population and fan base (and certainly never played on the evening where it starts). Clearly TV drives the bus but I hope they at least indicated that night was not their top choice.

SUOrange44
I noticed that too...surprised SU went for that.

Great chance to be 3-0 going into ND... would be a perception boost. Then go and win it.