Football Schedule Released Tomorrow 3pm | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Football Schedule Released Tomorrow 3pm

I disagree. i think we are underdogs in 8-9 games. That said, we could win 8. Just need Hunt to improve.

I used decided underdog as my term because I was thinking double digits. Which will certainly be FSU, Clemson, and likely ND (maybe that's 7-9 who knows).

Being a 2-3 point underdog is as good as a push. Who on this schedule, looking right now, would you say is more than a 3 point favorite over us? And why?

Ah, we're fine.

As for the bye weeks, no, it just makes it worse.

Ok, but then why is the first bye week this big discussion for today? Before you say "because the schedule came out today dummy", we've known about week 2 being a bye week for quite some time. There was never a guarantee that the ACC would fill that slot. In fact, I didn't think they would at all.

Agreed Chip. I give credit to the SU AD office for finally scheduling a relatively easy game to open the season with but what is up with a bye in week 2?

It would be more understandable if we had done this all those years we started off the season with a tough game, or even if week 3 featured a really tough opponent but this makes no sense and again, the failure of the AD office to intelligently schedule OOC games has greatly handicapped the football program and made it a lot more difficult to get a bowl bid.

Look at the other schools in the ACC:

Clemson opens with Georgia, played SC State in week 2, has a bye in week 3, then plays FSU in week 4.

FSU opens with Okie State, plays The Citadel in week 2, has a bye in week 3, then plays Clemson in week 4.

BC opens at UMass and plays Pitt in week 2, then plays USC, Maine and Colorado State to end September, has a bye in week 6 before getting into ACC conference play the rest of the way.

Pitt plays Delaware in week 1, then plays BC, then plays at FIU, hosts Iowa and Akron, visits Virginia and gets a bye before conference play.

No one else in the ACC has a bye in week 2 and I bet once all the schedules for 2014 are announced, no member of a P5 conference will have one except us.

Here is a list of all ACC schools and the maximum number of games they play on consecutive weeks in 2014:

BC 5
Clemson 6
Duke 5
Florida State 5
Georgia Tech 7
Louisville 8
Miami 7
North Carolina 7
North Carolina State 8 (includes 4 weak OOC opponents)
Pittsburgh 6
Syracuse 9 (all BCS opponents)
Virginia 6
Virginia Tech 6
Wake Forest 6

Not good.

I don't disagree that it's not ideal, but we just have to make the most of it, as I said get some of the younger guys ready to contribute (really, what else can we do?).

The ND game is what appears to have thrown off the schedule for that early bye week. It's SU's doing. It looks like BC vs Pitt is the only week 2 ACC game?

It's unfortunate, but I think at the end of the day, Shafer proved to be a pretty good week to week motivator this year, so we can make the best of it. Still a lot of winnable games. And we should continue to be deeper than our dark days.

I reserve the right to complain about 9 straight weeks next year. So let's make sure this thread is in forum heaven by then.

ND, Wake and NCSt have open weeks before they play us. Our first one is in week two after Nova and before CMU. Tremendous.

People are crazy if they don't think how a schedule lays out and who you are playing when doesn't make a significant difference.
The bye week before the home game against Clemson really had the Orange come out on fire this past year... Oh wait, it didn't? When a team is rolling, it doesn't hurt to keep momentum. Yes, one bye in the middle would have been nice, but we don't have it. Chip is right, 4-1 to start totally achievable, and 4 tossups (or us favored) to end the season. If we get caught in the churner and lose a bunch in the middle, we have the bye before last 2 weeks to get bowl eligible. 7-8 wins are on their way people...

Thank you once again to Dr. Gross and the administration at SU for having this be our schedule this year instead of playing in the AAC. I've said it a hundred times already, but compare this schedule to what we would be dealing with if we hadn't gotten an invite and moved to the ACC. We've got some big boys to play now. All that's left is to win.

Friday night game is on Yom Kippur... That could cause some empty seats

Ah, good luck with that
He told me in October that he knew who Syracuse would be playing in ’15.
Methinks TGD is saving that for a convenient time to distract people from any potential bumps that may come up along the way.

Lville 8pm?? I'm asking for a friend
No way to know for sure until ESPN announces their broadcast schedule.
7:00-9:00 would be the likely kickoff window.

9 straight games is asking for trouble. We saw this year how injuries add up over the season and hopefully next year's team can avoid getting beaten up too badly before the November bye.

Instead of worrying about going to South Beach, Gross should be pushing his own folks to do a better job of balancing the schedule. A week 2 bye is absolutely useless and as Tomcat put so well
the failure of the AD office to intelligently schedule OOC games has greatly handicapped the football program and made it a lot more difficult to get a bowl bid.

At some point SU Football will no longer have the SU Athletic Department as it's biggest opponent.

He told me in October that he knew who Syracuse would be playing in ’15.
Methinks TGD is saving that for a convenient time to distract people from any potential bumps that may come up along the way.

some yearly basketball rumor or injury?

How about Lville, Duke, NC State, @Wake, @ Pitt, @ BC? I don't think you're giving your own team enough credit. Besides FSU and @ Clemson, the rest of the games are all plenty winnable.
Ok, maybe it was just a gut reaction. Assuming no changes NC State and Wake s/b wins. That means we have to take 1 out of 4. Either Pitt or BC. Of course, I'm hoping we continue to improve and catch Louisville thinking they still have Teddy. Duke's going to be all butt hurt because we beat their Basketball team three times in our first year in the league and LAX stomped all over their number 1.

Wow, people bitching about our schedule. There's a first.

;)

Honestly, aside from wanting the first bye to fall a week or two later, I don't know why people are losing their minds. We're in a real league, we play good league opponents. We also open as soft as we have in 2 decades. Everyone's always complaining about not being able to get momentum early in the year. Well, here's our shot.

Wow, people bitching about our schedule. There's a first.

;)

Honestly, aside from wanting the first bye to fall a week or two later, I don't know why people are losing their minds. We're in a real league, we play good league opponents. We also open as soft as we have in 2 decades. Everyone's always complaining about not being able to get momentum early in the year. Well, here's our shot.
Always have to complain about something, it's the Syracuse way.

The overall schedule difficulty is similar to last year, possibly a bit easier. The schedule is much more conducive to getting off to a good start.

Could the first open week have come at a more convenient time? Sure.
Could the Pitt game have been swapped with a home game (Duke, for example)? Yup.
Is it the most difficult schedule ever? Hmmm, no.

It's time to grow up and win some games. Go 7-5/8-4, go to a bowl, get better recruits, and continue to improve. Repeat, and rinse.

Moontan said:
The overall schedule difficulty is similar to last year, possibly a bit easier. The schedule is much more conducive to getting off to a good start. Could the first open week have come at a more convenient time? Sure. Could the Pitt game have been swapped with a home game (Duke, for example)? Yup. Is it the most difficult schedule ever? Hmmm, no. It's time to grow up and win some games. Go 7-5/8-4, go to a bowl, get better recruits, and continue to improve. Repeat,
best post in this thread... People need start realizing we are one of better programs in acc we are not in the dark ages of Cuse football anymore

Last edited:
bnoro said:
Always have to complain about something, it's the Syracuse way.
People like to throw out the "If I could 'like' this 1,000 times, I would" -- here's where I'd spend mine (although I would've used a dash instead of a comma).

And I'm a local (transplanted, but still with property interests).

IHeartSUFball said:
best post in this thread... People need start realizing we are one of better programs in acc we are not in the dark ages of Cuse football anymore

I'm not sure one person even intimated that.

rrlbees said:
I'm not sure one person even intimated that.
from what I read there was a solid amount. That freak out like we are going to struggle. Yea 9 games in a row is tough but we are a top 5 team next year in the acc and outside of Clemson and fsu every game is winnable.

I just don't like the fact that the last two games are on the road. But if that is all I can complain about... ;)