Football Sell-Out... | Syracusefan.com

Football Sell-Out...

Poles#7

Captain
Does anyone know (without using the internet ;) ) when the last time we sold out a football game in the Carried Dome?

1997 over 47,000 showed up to watch a very bad Temple team. How do we get 48-49,000 back in "The Loud House"?

Hint: although the numbers below are impressive, it wasn't during my playing years

#18 Virginia Tech Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 21–52 49,069
Pittsburgh Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 55–7 45,103
#23 Miami (FL) #16 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS L 31–38 49,426

NC State* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 31–32 42,742
Tulane* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 30–19 42,246
East Carolina* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 56–0 44,054
Temple Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 60–7 47,720
#17 West Virginia Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN W 40–10 49,273
Boston College #22 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 20–13 49,153
Pittsburgh #19 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 32–27 46,102

#10 Tennessee* #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN L 33–34 49,550
#13 Michigan* #19 Michigan Stadium • Ann Arbor, MI ABC W 38–28 111,012 (I just wanted to add this away game in this :rolling: )
Rutgers #13 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 70–14 42,716
Cincinnati* #24 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN2 W 63–21 47,251
Boston College #23 Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA CBS W 42–25 43,413
Pittsburgh #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 45–28 49,012
#16 Virginia Tech Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN2 W 28–26 49,336
#19 Miami #21 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 66–13 49,521

How do we get 48-49,000 back in "The Loud House"?

This seems to be the question that we all want to try and help answer. However, since you are going back in history, I wanted to look at some recent (last 2 coaches) high attendance figures.

The very first games for both Greg Robinson (45,418 vs WVU) and Doug Marrone (48,617 vs. Minn.) had the highest home attendance of any games during their careers as SU head coaches (though GRob had one game, PSU in 2008 with a higher attendance than that very first game, but just barely... and it was Penn State.) While we played a close game against WVU in GRob's first game, the next game was lowly Buffalo and only pulled in 34,442 (which was probably not the number of actual butts-in-seats.) Things obviously went downhill from there... For Doug Marrone, he at least pulled in $40k for the next couple of home games because his teams appeared to be competitive.

With these two examples it appears as though optimism is high at the beginning of the run for these last two head coaches. But, as the on the field results failed to rebound, optimism (and attendance) waned. I'd like to say that Shafer will get a huge boost in attendance for his first home game, but the issue there is that some idiot scheduled Wagner as the first home game... Wagner as a draw itself is awful as at least Grob and DM got actual D-1 teams for their home openers. So there are a couple of factors at least at play in recent history: scheduling and the on-the-field product. We need to improve both.

I'd like to think with the ACC move, we can get interest in games against higher-profile competition than we had for the Big East. Of course Wagner is an exception and we need to replace whoever handles the scheduling for Football. There will be some excellent opponents coming to the Dome now that we are part of the ACC. We need to get some wins and/or play some exciting games (close games, uptempo, intense play, etc.)

Here's a suggestion - get Scott Shafer more face/air time locally. I love his passion. I live in NJ and mostly get my SU news through Syracusefan.com (thanks Orangeyes) and other sites. Whenever I listen to Coach Shafer I want to put on pads and get out there and play for him! At the very least, he makes me want to go to games to see his on the field product. I plan to do this at least 3 times this year (PSU @ MetLife, @MD, Clemson) and perhaps more. If he can energize us remote fans/alumni, I'd like to think he can do the same locally. He has way more charisma than DM.

I think it was Miami in 1992.

But SU's kind of loose with the "sell out" term and capacity has quietly changed a couple times, so it's difficult to pin down.

How do we get 48-49,000 back in "The Loud House"?
The sad fact is that there are a lot of fickle fans in CNY. The hardcore fans will always show up but there aren't as many for SU as there are for other teams. Is it because so many alumni aren't from CNY or that there isn't as much community/state wide emotional attachment with SU being a private school? I don't know. I think winning consistently and beating big name opponents will go a long way to bring in the people that are just going because it becomes an event and that's what it's going to take to pack the place again.

When the Carrier Dome is packed, it is a ridiculous home field advantage. I remember how loud it was against #9 Iowa a few years back and we werent that close to a sellout.

Jason - what is SU doing right now from an Orange Out perspective? Would be awesome to start marketing the Clemson game to be an Orange Out. Tell Daryl... ;)

I think it was Miami in 1992.

But SU's kind of loose with the "sell out" term and capacity has quietly changed a couple times, so it's difficult to pin down.

Tennessee 1998 was definitely a sell-out. I have the game on tape and the announcers at the beginning of the broadcast said it sold out in a matter of hours.

Does anyone know (without using the internet ;) ) when the last time we sold out a football game in the Carried Dome?

1997 over 47,000 showed up to watch a very bad Temple team. How do we get 48-49,000 back in "The Loud House"?

Hint: although the numbers below are impressive, it wasn't during my playing years

#18 Virginia Tech Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 21–52 49,069
Pittsburgh Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 55–7 45,103
#23 Miami (FL) #16 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS L 31–38 49,426

NC State* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 31–32 42,742
Tulane* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 30–19 42,246
East Carolina* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 56–0 44,054
Temple Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 60–7 47,720
#17 West Virginia Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN W 40–10 49,273
Boston College #22 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 20–13 49,153
Pittsburgh #19 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 32–27 46,102

#10 Tennessee* #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN L 33–34 49,550
#13 Michigan* #19 Michigan Stadium • Ann Arbor, MI ABC W 38–28 111,012 (I just wanted to add this away game in this :rolling: )
Rutgers #13 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 70–14 42,716
Cincinnati* #24 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN2 W 63–21 47,251
Boston College #23 Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA CBS W 42–25 43,413
Pittsburgh #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 45–28 49,012
#16 Virginia Tech Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN2 W 28–26 49,336
#19 Miami #21 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 66–13 49,521

I wish it was as simple as some obscure marketing tool, or a catchy new slogan but bottom line, this town loves winners and follows them passionately.

The football team needs to win games. Consistently.

Do that, and I think you will see the big crowds return.

take a look at the 1992 football attendance

Opening night vs. Miami University in 1980

im fairly certain this is the correct answer. it was the largest crowd obviously. i believe this is only game over 50k? so they must have exceeded capacity.

im fairly certain this is the correct answer. it was the largest crowd. i believe this is only game over 50k? so they must have exceeded capacity.
Except now the capacity is 49,250 (they took seats out) so there were some more recent games that were "sell-outs" if you consider selling to capacity a "sell-out" (I do).

'96: #23 Miami (FL) #16 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS L 31–38 49,426
'97: #17 West Virginia Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN W 40–10 49,273
'98: #10 Tennessee* #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN L 33–34 49,550
'98: #16 Virginia Tech Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN2 W 28–26 49,336

I agree with what everyone has talked about so far. I think the major areas that could improve ticket sales are:

• Local Media
  • Local High School Team Involvement
  • The now better ACC Schedule
  • Special Events
When I list local media I mean getting more exposure to the locals about upcoming opponents. This year there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to sell-out the Clemson Game. Make it known they have a Heisman trophy contender and are gunning for a National Championship. Get Coach Shafer on the local news channels stirring up some interest. The guy's attitude and charisma are contagious! I'm sure he can come up with some good HARDNOSED things to say to our local fan base.
By local High School team involvement I mean getting the local football teams to the games. Offer the coaches of the local teams the opportunity to bring their whole team, as a team builder, for a discounted rate. Think about it each local team has about at least 50 kids and that would at up fast. Pls I'm sure they like getting loud.
Now with the better ACC schedule alone should attract some more fans. The better teams we bring in the better the tikcet sales are obviously going to be.
Some ideas for special events at the games were already stated. For example the "Orange Out". That should be advertised so much for the Clemson game. Put a cheap orange t-shirt that says Orange Nation or something on all the seats. Advertise the free t-shirt.
We need to do as much as possible to get fans in the seats. I know it comes with winning but we have had more than respectable teams for the last few years and we need a boost to drum up some support. Shafer could even talk at one of the freshman orientations to get as many kids from that class out as he can. He has the character to do it.

im fairly certain this is the correct answer. it was the largest crowd obviously. i believe this is only game over 50k? so they must have exceeded capacity.

there have been a few. i know a few penn st games were over 50k too

I agree with what everyone has talked about so far. I think the major areas that could improve ticket sales are:

• Local Media
  • Local High School Team Involvement
  • The now better ACC Schedule
  • Special Events
4 bullets and you missed the key one. Winning.

When were our best attendance years. Late 80s and 90s.

Penn State in 1981, 1983, 1985, and 1987 were all over 50,000.

Both Pitt and Navy in 1980 were also over 50,000.

4 bullets and you missed the key one. Winning.

When were our best attendance years. Late 80s and 90s.

I mentioned winning in the last paragraph. I assumed that was pretty much a given.

I mentioned winning in the last paragraph. I assumed that was pretty much a given.
Sorry. I missed it. Also, I agree that other things can help (like those you described) on top of winning.

Tennessee 1998 was definitely a sell-out. I have the game on tape and the announcers at the beginning of the broadcast said it sold out in a matter of hours.

At the time I was under the impression that it was short (sometimes TV guys are mistaken, though that was the loudest Dome event I've ever attended) and Jason seems to confirm. 49,550 that afternoon; I'm not sure what capacity was in 1998, but I'm thinking it was around 49,800.

Miami was 49,857 in 1992; Penn State got 50,011 in 1987. It'd be cool if SU would better publicize attendance; it's a popular topic around these parts. For starters, they could better detail the small changes that have been made to the Dome and affected capacity over the years. Since I've paid attention, various modifications (wheelchair seating; west end zone boxes) have worked the number down from ~49,800 in the '90s to ~49,500 last decade to (I think) 49,262 today. And who knows what it was in the '80s, when some crowds did exceed 50,000 (were those SRO?).

I had always thought Michigan 1999 was the last sell out. I know what constituted a sell out has changed over the years with various changes to Dome seating configuration. That game hit 49.2, which was less than the 49.5 against Miami 1998, so maybe it wasn't officially a sell out and I'm misremembering.

Never seen a sellout for football. Would LOVE to be able to sit inside the Dome for a packed crowd.

Product, game time, better off the field stuff (the PA announcers stink), more up to date out of town scores, a better scored and choreographed band, better pre & post game congregated tail-gate areas, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I had always thought Michigan 1999 was the last sell out. I know what constituted a sell out has changed over the years with various changes to Dome seating configuration. That game hit 49.2, which was less than the 49.5 against Miami 1998, so maybe it wasn't officially a sell out and I'm misremembering.

A little short - 49,249, and I'm sure the Dome didn't lose capacity in that off-season (new roof and sound system, yes).

I didn't recall that that crowd broke 49,000. All the more impressive, since the athletic department wanted to avoid a repeat of the thousands of Tennessee fans at the previous year's opener and required purchase of a Central Michigan ticket in order to buy a Michigan single-game ticket..

At the time I was under the impression that it was short (sometimes TV guys are mistaken, though that was the loudest Dome event I've ever attended) and Jason seems to confirm. 49,550 that afternoon; I'm not sure what capacity was in 1998, but I'm thinking it was around 49,800.

Miami was 49,857 in 1992; Penn State got 50,011 in 1987. It'd be cool if SU would better publicize attendance; it's a popular topic around these parts. For starters, they could better detail the small changes that have been made to the Dome and affected capacity over the years. Since I've paid attention, various modifications (wheelchair seating; west end zone boxes) have worked the number down from ~49,800 in the '90s to ~49,500 last decade to (I think) 49,262 today. And who knows what it was in the '80s, when some crowds did exceed 50,000 (were those SRO?).
My bad on my other post. According to wiki, the capacity is/was as follows:

Football: 49,262 (2003-present), 49,550 (1998-2002), 50,000 (1980-1997)
That makes this a sellout:

'98: #10 Tennessee* #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN L 33–34 49,550

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom