Football Sell-Out... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Football Sell-Out...

Does anyone know (without using the internet ;) ) when the last time we sold out a football game in the Carried Dome?

1997 over 47,000 showed up to watch a very bad Temple team. How do we get 48-49,000 back in "The Loud House"?

Hint: although the numbers below are impressive, it wasn't during my playing years

#18 Virginia Tech Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 21–52 49,069
Pittsburgh Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 55–7 45,103
#23 Miami (FL) #16 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS L 31–38 49,426

NC State* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 31–32 42,742
Tulane* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 30–19 42,246
East Carolina* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 56–0 44,054
Temple Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 60–7 47,720
#17 West Virginia Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN W 40–10 49,273
Boston College #22 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 20–13 49,153
Pittsburgh #19 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 32–27 46,102

#10 Tennessee* #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN L 33–34 49,550
#13 Michigan* #19 Michigan Stadium • Ann Arbor, MI ABC W 38–28 111,012 (I just wanted to add this away game in this :rolling: )
Rutgers #13 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 70–14 42,716
Cincinnati* #24 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN2 W 63–21 47,251
Boston College #23 Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA CBS W 42–25 43,413
Pittsburgh #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 45–28 49,012
#16 Virginia Tech Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN2 W 28–26 49,336
#19 Miami #21 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 66–13 49,521

We retire Jason Poles's jersey, that'll pack em in ;)

Agreed, I wasn't of bar going age in 87 or 97 either but I think your premise is spot on. Bars from the early 2000's to now in many cases are worlds better, I cant even imagine from the mid to late 80's to now.
It's all relative. Bars would sometimes pack 'em in for games back then too even though using today's glasses we would say the TVs were awful. I don't see much difference between bar crowds today v. back then for games. Many bars had a large projection screen we thought was great back then and many had lots of smaller TVs. I think I can say with pretty much certainty that the attendance at the dome had little do do with TV set quality in the late 80s and 90s when our team was winning consistently. In addition, I don't think TV set quality has anything to do with recent attendance being relatively low.

Since Jason mentioned the Michigan game in 1998, and I have no idea when our last sell out was and I don't live in the area and therefore can't help by getting season tickets, I'm just going to day...

Thanks, Jason, for giving me my favorite Tom Brady memory ever: watching you burst through and plant him about 12 feet into the ground. Every time I think of the Michigan game, I don't think about McNabb or Johnson or Konrad, I think about Jason Poles obliterating Tom Brady.

It's all relative. Bars would sometimes pack 'em in for games back then too even though using today's glasses we would say the TVs were awful. I don't see much difference between bar crowds today v. back then for games. Many bars had a large projection screen we thought was great back then and many had lots of smaller TVs. I think I can say with pretty much certainty that the attendance at the dome had little do do with TV set quality in the late 80s and 90s when our team was winning consistently. In addition, I don't think TV set quality has anything to do with recent attendance being relatively low.

Sorry but I disagree completely, dome attendance in the late 80's/early 90's was definitely affected by the fact that many games were blacked out or tape delayed, so the only other option was the radio. Today you can get a 50 inch + TV with a surround /speaker bar system that can feel like your in the Dome. Ditto for bars where you can have dozens of flat screens around or in some cases a very large flat screen 70+ inches showing a game. I dont think the issue is a prime reason for our attendance issues but it certainly plays a role.

Product, game time, better off the field stuff (the PA announcers stink), more up to date out of town scores, a better scored and choreographed band, better pre & post game congregated tail-gate areas, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I'd take better music. I don't recall ever paying attention to the PA announcer but I'm pretty damn tired of hearing welcome to the jungle. Perhaps let the players and students have some input there as long as it's nothing vulgar.

Parking plays a role. It’s a giant pain in the arse and the ‘average’ fan just isn’t going to deal with the hassle.

I wish it was as simple as some obscure marketing tool, or a catchy new slogan but bottom line, this town loves winners and follows them passionately.

The football team needs to win games. Consistently.

Do that, and I think you will see the big crowds return.

^^^This, and free beer.

Parking plays a role. It’s a giant pain in the arse and the ‘average’ fan just isn’t going to deal with the hassle.

Unfortunately this is spot on, the parking situation is an absolute disaster for the casual fan. Traffic really isnt an issue but as you noted its a hassle for the "average" fan and while I know some will say "what about skytop"? Most casual fans dont even know there is a shuttle from Manley and even if they did most dont want to use that option.

I would tolerate shitty parking, food and drink, hot stale air and echoing pa blasts to watch a winner. But tell me, if we sell out, how early would I have to leave to beat the crowd?

Sorry but I disagree completely, dome attendance in the late 80's/early 90's was definitely affected by the fact that many games were blacked out or tape delayed, so the only other option was the radio. Today you can get a 50 inch + TV with a surround /speaker bar system that can feel like your in the Dome. Ditto for bars where you can have dozens of flat screens around or in some cases a very large flat screen 70+ inches showing a game. I dont think the issue is a prime reason for our attendance issues but it certainly plays a role.
Only option radio? Are you sure you are not thinking of an episode of The Waltons? You should have stopped at " I wasn't of bar going age in 87 or 97". I was. Many games were on TV. The one home game I missed (being there) in '87 was the PSU game. It was hard to get a decent seat (before I had season tickets) and so a friend had a backyard party and we watched it outside on a 26 inch TV. Most games were on TV. The main reason many went to the games was they were winning. It was an "in" thing to do. People like winners and like to be associated with them. Look at the early 80s from 80 to 87. Once people saw '87, attendance started to increase into the 90s which were the best years they had for attendance. TVs sucked back then too. However, even then, bars had great days when SU played.

We won't sell out vs Clemson unless we're undefeated and ranked coming in. Even then we'll need some star player (Davis? Smith? PTG? Allen? Bromley?) that'll excite people to come.

Unfortunately this is spot on, the parking situation is an absolute disaster for the casual fan. Traffic really isnt an issue but as you noted its a hassle for the "average" fan and while I know some will say "what about skytop"? Most casual fans dont even know there is a shuttle from Manley and even if they did most dont want to use that option.
Most college parking situations are a disaster for the casual fans...excepting those that play in pro stadiums.

But people go to basketball games in droves even when they are on TV. They go because if they are not there, they feel like they missed out on being part of it. Winning does that. People need to feel like if they are not at the dome for football, they are missing the experience. There is no substitute for winning. All you can do right now is hype the ACC...the team...the players...and work to build a young fan base -- one that will develop some team loyalty early to build for the future. And of course, as Tom said, win.

Most college parking situations are a disaster for the casual fans...excepting those that play in pro stadiums.

I have never, ever, ever had a problem finding a parking spot for a football game. And I have only had a parking pass one year in that time (since the dome opened). Not once.

I dont disagree but as PhatOrange noted its another issue that casual fans use as an excuse not to go to games. I haven't heard it as much as others but a few other posters on here mentioned previously that other people have mentioned it as a main reason as why they dont go to games.

But people go to basketball games in droves even when they are on TV. They go because if they are not there, they feel like they missed out on being part of it. Winning does that. People need to feel like if they are not at the dome for football, they are missing the experience. There is no substitute for winning. All you can do right now is hype the ACC...the team...the players...and work to build a young fan base -- one that will develop some team loyalty early to build for the future. And of course, as Tom said, win.

What you say is true but even for bball games thats only starting to hold true for bigger name opponents/games and conference games played on Saturday/Sunday. Go back through the bball board from this past season where Tomcat noted in his recaps how bad attendance was by SU standards for more then just a handful of games. Ditto for Lacrosse, if you watch a TW replay form the early to Mid 90's there are 2-3 times the amount of fans in the dome then there are now. Pretty much every game is televised now and a lot of people are simply choosing to watch it from there TV.

I have never, ever, ever had a problem finding a parking spot for a football game. And I have only had a parking pass one year in that time (since the dome opened). Not once.

Same for me but I would go no matter what, unfortunately not all fans are like the diehards on here.

I dont disagree but as PhatOrange noted its another issue that casual fans use as an excuse not to go to games. I haven't heard it as much as others but a few other posters on here mentioned previously that other people have mentioned it as a main reason as why they dont go to games.
I agree... many casual fans complain about parking and some do use it as an excuse not to go to the games especially during times when wins are hard to come by.

Same here. I just started paying for a permit this past season and I first started my season tickets in '92. I do love my permit lot though!

Right. To me, that's more a statement about how casual too many of our fans really are, than it is about how bad the parking situation really is.

Same here. I just started paying for a permit this past season and I first started my season tickets in '92. I do love my permit lot though!

The truth is, the walk from DestiNY is really not that bad. Just have to get an early start is all.

Right. To me, that's more a statement about how casual too many of our fans really are, than it is about how bad the parking situation really is.

I agree but the situation is still a cluster if your not familiar with the parking situation at the Dome. Syracuse has zero public lots, the only parking anywhere close to the dome not pass protected is a private garage on a one way street that backs up to armory square for any decent size crowd. I have a parking pass so it doesnt affect me obviously but trying to get casual fans to come to a game/tailgate can be an issue based on the lack of parking options.

I agree. Given them consistent winners and somehow the parking isn't quite bad enough to keep them away anymore.

I agree. Given them consistent winners and somehow the parking isn't quite bad enough to keep them away anymore.

Parking passes will definitely go up.

Parking passes will definitely go up.

Supply and demand no doubt. People that think they can show up and be seated in half an hour just before the game starts usually have some surprises in store for them. It's not like when you go to a movie at the mall, you must leave the comforts of your home early or suffer the frustration of parking and walking to the Dome.