Football Sell-Out... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Football Sell-Out...

Hopefully the spots lost at Henry and Raynor will be made up for by the new lot. Remember that Henry was mostly busses and RV's (which have been moved up to Skytop).

Your right about the new lot, I was glad to see someone at SU finally realized they actually need some parking spots. I think that lot will definitely help and keeping Fine around for as long as possible will help as well. I know Henry was mostly busses but that was a huge lot that would often have a large party going on the end near fine. If SU can ever get back to regular large crowds that lot woudl have seen a lot of action but obviously I understand why it had to go.

Too bad that the university couldn't work with the Syracuse Chiefs to get their parking lot for games for people around that area, and get Centro busses to shuttle fans over. Their season is done about the first week September so the entire lot could be put to use pretty much the entire year. Obviously it wouldn't be a lot of cars, but it's a ton of parking that people can use, and just have to deal with shuttling to the Dome.

I remember when Syracuse played FSU in the Dome, I took a shuttle from Great Northern Mall up to The Hill. It cost maybe $3 there and back?

Edit: And as many have stated, once we start consistently winning, the crowds will come back.

I took a college visit to Penn State and got to check out the football stadium (incredible to see in person). They have empty fields of grass that are made for parking for fans. I think the big reason the parking is an issue is because the Dome is literally on campus, where with some of the other stadiums they're located off campus so they can create these big lots. If the Dome were place at the Fairgrounds for instance, I think you could see a big change in attendance (but that will never happen).

I am a CNYer and a long-time season ticket holder. Been there through good and bad so i don't need to be sold. I think its a great idea to go to your base for suggestions. When this board stays on topic they can have some great ideas.

In my opinion a concerted effort needs to be made with the students first. Getting them in the door is crucial for atmosphere. Whatever needs to be done on campus to get the students should be the first priority. Their attendance has been abysmal for awhile now. This needs to change.

Where's the media effort? 38 days to kickoff and i haven't heard or seen one form of general advertising for the season or season tickets. There needs to be a media campaign (i.e. billboards on major thoroughfares - 690, 81 etc. within a 120 mile radius of Syracuse, radio spots, television spots, newspaper ads etc.) People need to feel like this is a happening EVENT again and not just a football game. Make them feel like it is must see, must have stuff. You are selling a product, have to act like it. Advertising works, use it. Gotta get the buzz going sooner than later.

From a gameday perspective, the train from Armory was awesome. No idea why that was phased out. Helped all of the local businesses down in that area too. U would think they would be willing to pitch in due to the increased foot traffic and sales. Had alot of good times down there when the train was running. I do like the quad but lack of seating loses you alot of older people who simply can't stand for extended periods before the game.

I don't have the specific formula but the lack of advertising for the upcoming season at this stage of the game is baffling especially with all of the positive things happening in the program right now. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong but I simply haven't seen it and i'm a big part of your target market.

Thanks for reaching out. All of the above is off the cuff due to being at work. Will think a little harder and maybe add some more thoughts later.

Those are ALL things that would be nice, but the uptick in attendance seen if all of them are corrected and fixed would not make the Dome full.

Tomcat is correct - win and I think the large crowds will follow.
that's what I meant by product

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Too bad that the university couldn't work with the Syracuse Chiefs to get their parking lot for games for people around that area, and get Centro busses to shuttle fans over. Their season is done about the first week September so the entire lot could be put to use pretty much the entire year. Obviously it wouldn't be a lot of cars, but it's a ton of parking that people can use, and just have to deal with shuttling to the Dome.

I remember when Syracuse played FSU in the Dome, I took a shuttle from Great Northern Mall up to The Hill. It cost maybe $3 there and back?

Edit: And as many have stated, once we start consistently winning, the crowds will come back.

I took a college visit to Penn State and got to check out the football stadium (incredible to see in person). They have empty fields of grass that are made for parking for fans. I think the big reason the parking is an issue is because the Dome is literally on campus, where with some of the other stadiums they're located off campus so they can create these big lots. If the Dome were place at the Fairgrounds for instance, I think you could see a big change in attendance (but that will never happen).

We need more of the bars running buses up.

I think an Orange out would go a long way. Just when we hyped break the single season attendance record for basketball the crowd showed up. Promote a Orange out all week. Just get it out there that we need people there and they get a cheap Orange shirt or something.

They key is to get the youth back involved as well. a whole generation has grown up with Syracuse Football being in a bad spot. A lot of old time hardcore fans have either retired and moved down south, or were forced to move away when all the factories closed. Syracuse basketball is much more popular with the 25 and younger crowd right now, while it may be the opposite where football is concerned. you have to win the youngins back, both for now and the future. maybe specials to high schoolers or something along those lines?

It's very interesting to read the your responses. The reason I put it out there was I recently heard the only "sell-out" of the dome was the very first game vs. Miami, OH, Sept 20th 1980. My first thought was, when I played there had to have been 2 or 3 sell-outs; however somehow there technically was not. Bumber, my bubble was burst :eek:!

But the another reason is as a new transplant to CNY I'd be hard pressed to find anything better to do with my Saturday's for 6 non-consecutive weeks. But then again, I'm a football junkie! But that's just it; I've been to other universities and stadiums - I acknowledge our challenges with parking, the lack of tailgating space and what TV has done to attending ALL sporting events (pro football is struggling with this also; Jacksonville Jags are thinking about showing the RedZone at their games). Most of these schools are in the middle of no-where; however their communities shut down Friday evening for high school football and Saturday for their local college football because they want to support their local team.

Reading some of the responses here, some hit right on point and some are ideas that may not have been discussed and I can bring them up. Thanks board we appreciate the input.

But for now I think we need to help push each other and our friends and our friends friends to help come out. I do realize no-one wants to watch a bad product on the field; but think about the role a loud, hot packed crowded dome plays on the opponent. Remember how many well conditioned teams from the south would come up and several players would be on their sidelines with cramps; then the QB who couldn't yell loud enough to change the play had to waste a timeout. I will tell you that after every game, every opponent always would come up to us and asked, how in the hell do you guys play in that place-it's worse than playing in Miami in the middle of the summer! It's hot, your fans are crazy and they couldn't hear themselves think- a packed house makes a difference. When the Dome filled with excited screaming fans, you guys are good for 1 or 2 wins a year.

We will get back to winning more consistently, but no top notch recruit wants to come to a place where their are not butts in the seats.

Thanks for the conversation gang! Keep 'em coming.

It's very interesting to read the your responses. The reason I put it out there was I recently heard the only "sell-out" of the dome was the very first game vs. Miami, OH, Sept 20th 1980. My first thought was, when I played there had to have been 2 or 3 sell-outs; however somehow there technically was not. Bumber, my bubble was burst :eek:!

But the another reason is as a new transplant to CNY I'd be hard pressed to find anything better to do with my Saturday's for 6 non-consecutive weeks. But then again, I'm a football junkie! But that's just it; I've been to other universities and stadiums - I acknowledge our challenges with parking, the lack of tailgating space and what TV has done to attending ALL sporting events (pro football is struggling with this also; Jacksonville Jags are thinking about showing the RedZone at their games). Most of these schools are in the middle of no-where; however their communities shut down Friday evening for high school football and Saturday for their local college football because they want to support their local team.

Reading some of the responses here, some hit right on point and some are ideas that may not have been discussed and I can bring them up. Thanks board we appreciate the input.

But for now I think we need to help push each other and our friends and our friends friends to help come out. I do realize no-one wants to watch a bad product on the field; but think about the role a loud, hot packed crowded dome plays on the opponent. Remember how many well conditioned teams from the south would come up and several players would be on their sidelines with cramps; then the QB who couldn't yell loud enough to change the play had to waste a timeout. I will tell you that after every game, every opponent always would come up to us and asked, how in the hell do you guys play in that place-it's worse than playing in Miami in the middle of the summer! It's hot, your fans are crazy and they couldn't hear themselves think- a packed house makes a difference. When the Dome filled with excited screaming fans, you guys are good for 1 or 2 wins a year.

We will get back to winning more consistently, but no top notch recruit wants to come to a place where their are not butts in the seats.

Thanks for the follow up Jason, it was certainly a great read. I hope one of the main things you can communicate to the higher ups at Syracuse is the need for a total revamp of the marketing department and need to try and draw the casual fan. With Harborfest this weekend and several other large events on the horizon in the next few weeks it would be an excellent opportunity to send out a couple of employees from the ticket/marketing office to meet with fans and have the ability to sell season ticket packages especially the $99.00 package. I know single game tickets are not yet available to the general public but if they could somehow bring a few hundred to sell I think they maybe surprised at the response from casual fans or even more dedicated fans who maybe on the fence about attending a few games or purchasing season tickets. I know SU has a booth in one of the buildings at the Fair but there are so many other festivals and events in an around Syracuse that SU could attend and take advantage of for the first time.

Secondly as myself and others have mentioned throughout the thread parking/tailgating can be an issue for the casual fan. Most of us diehards will be tailgating hours before the game but why not have SU look into setting up a special tailgate on the Quad or at skytop for those fans who dont take advantage of the tailgate lots. Getting Dinosaur or another popular restaurant to cater should be a hit and with the proper promotion (another big issue) could draw a good crowd. Getting one of these restaurants to take over a food booth in the dome or a special designated outdoor area as another poster mentioned would go along way to update the antiquated food offerings and increase revenues for Syracuse.

Thanks again, looking forward to the season.

SU hasn't put a 'bad product' on the field in 5 years. No excuses. Just show up and as JP says, recruit your friends and neighbors.

If you expect SU to recruit well, do a little fan recruiting of your own.

SU hasn't put a 'bad product' on the field in 5 years. No excuses. Just show up and as JP says, recruit your friends and neighbors.

If you expect SU to recruit well, do a little fan recruiting of your own.

Unfortunately the motto of "just show up" hasn't worked out for fball attendance and while SU certainly hasn't put out a bad product, our home record outside of last year has been pretty bad.

Does anyone know (without using the internet ;) ) when the last time we sold out a football game in the Carried Dome?

1997 over 47,000 showed up to watch a very bad Temple team. How do we get 48-49,000 back in "The Loud House"?

Hint: although the numbers below are impressive, it wasn't during my playing years

#18 Virginia Tech Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 21–52 49,069
Pittsburgh Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 55–7 45,103
#23 Miami (FL) #16 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS L 31–38 49,426

NC State* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 31–32 42,742
Tulane* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 30–19 42,246
East Carolina* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 56–0 44,054
Temple Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 60–7 47,720
#17 West Virginia Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN W 40–10 49,273
Boston College #22 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 20–13 49,153
Pittsburgh #19 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 32–27 46,102

#10 Tennessee* #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN L 33–34 49,550
#13 Michigan* #19 Michigan Stadium • Ann Arbor, MI ABC W 38–28 111,012 (I just wanted to add this away game in this )
Rutgers #13 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 70–14 42,716
Cincinnati* #24 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN2 W 63–21 47,251
Boston College #23 Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA CBS W 42–25 43,413
Pittsburgh #17 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 45–28 49,012
#16 Virginia Tech Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN2 W 28–26 49,336
#19 Miami #21 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 66–13 49,521
Syracuse fans are the nations best "bandwagon buccaneers". Its hardly a recent observation having grown up in Syracuse and have seen legendary players on the field and empty seats in the stands at Archibold and the Dome.:bat:

I think you ought to seek out statements like that from opponents and get them out to the public. let folks know they can make a difference. I think Spurrier talked about how loud it was.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I think you ought to seek out statements like that from opponents and get them out to the public. let folks know they can make a difference. I think Spurrier talked about how loud it was.

Or put together a commercial montage of those times when fans did appear to have an impact as Jason says (timeouts, rushed/bad snaps, stops on 3rd or 4th down.) There's probably plenty of footage available. Put a montage together of those times (with crowd nose clearly audible) along with some high tempo music and you've got a pretty compelling commercial. End it with something like along the lines of: "You CAN help. You are Orange spirit..." or something like "let's lock them in here - show the ACC what Syracuse is made of." But run an add like that... it could get folks fired up.

Perhaps there is a perception that parking is a huge problem. I could see the casual fan coupling this with the lack of "gameday atmosphere" in parking lots (i.e. tailgating.) And it isn't enough to get them to move off of the couch.

So why doesn't SU do a little something to promote the fun of Gameday by addressing some of the tailgate concerns people have and along the way, address the parking situation head on. Yes, it can be a challenge, No, it is not insurmountable...

Here are some parking options and associated problems:

- Permit lots: close to the Dome, but you need a permit. Money aside, it's not an option for someone who decides to go to a game that week.

- Fraternity houses: also close, relatively cheap, and there may be hot coeds running around. But they fill up fast - and by that, I mean absolutely full. If you get there early, you'll have to wait for every car behind you to leave because you are boxed in.

- Adams/Harrison lots: a bit of a hike, but doable. The price goes up every year and will shock those who rarely attend games. They have decent amount of space, but there are multiple lots that aren't easy to describe if you want to meet someone there (I'll elaborate on this issue at the end).

- Parking garages: variable distances away, still doable though. Not sure which are truly "public" and which are reserved for guests/employees/etc. Expensive - people don't like to pay more for parking than their ticket cost. Can't grill in a covered garage (or you at least have to worry about getting caught).

- Manley/Skytop: lots of space and you should be able to locate any friends in the lot, making for good tailgates. Problem is you have to bus to/from the game. Getting there is no problem, hop an a bus when you're ready. Getting back is a hassle as everyone is trying to crowd into the limited number of buses at the same time. Cramped quarters full of lowd/profane drunken college kids (and adults too) can make some with younger kids uncomfortable. I also understand that they stop running relatively soon (maybe an hour to 90 minutes?) after the end of the game, leading to pressure to get there (maybe even leave the game early) and on board when you might want to linger around the Dome or on campus for a bit.

- Underneath 81: don't see it highlighted on the map, but people park there. Its a long uphill hike and many aren't comfortable leaving their vehicles in that area.

None of these issues are dealbreakers by themselves, but they are negative experiences that people associate with going to games. Combine them with a couple other hassles or issues and folk will opt to just stay home.

To draw in more casual fans, it needs to be easy to plan an outing to a game. Right now, if a group decides to meet up and tailgate, finding each other is a big concern if they don't drive down in a big caravan. If the lot you plan to meet everyone at is full when you arrive, you have to come up with another plan on the fly. Skytop seems to be the easy answer, it just needs some promotion and some improvements to the busing situation:
- let the public in the tavern instead of just reserving it for private parties or open a new place, even if it's just a gameday bar under a tent.
- have some outdoor events going on during tailgate time - build a small stage for a band, have Otto &/or the cheerleaders make an appearance, etc.
- establish multiple bus stops around the Dome so the crowds don't all congregate on College Pl. after the game.
- run the buses longer and have some post-game festivities in the quad to limit the waiting, pushing, and shoving to get onto a bus right away.
- market whatever changes are made to encourage people to make a day of it. Make the outside experience part of the adventure instead of something you just have to deal with to get in & out of the game.

BRING THE TRAIN BACK! Work with Destiny, Armory Square and Downtown...make it happen!

BRING THE TRAIN BACK! Work with Destiny, Armory Square and Downtown...make it happen!
I never rode it myself but it always seemed like a cool option from Armory Square.

Odd that people have an aversion to taking a shuttle bus (which runs continuously), but love a train which may run once every 30 minutes.

Odd that people have an aversion to taking a shuttle bus (which runs continuously), but love a train which may run once every 30 minutes.
Our shuttle bus rides are great from Sky Top. We get the whole bus (even the driver sometimes) cheering on the way to the game and trade smack talk with opposing fans (all in good fun). Plus, the tailgates beforehand are always great.

Just like everything else people piss and moan about - it is what you make it!!

Looking forward to Clemson being the closest thing to a sellout we've seen in years. Go Cuse!