Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Boston-College-Student-Section.jpg

Welcome to Endangered Species Day!

From climate change to habitat fragmentation, pollution and human conflict, species around the world are facing a slew of threats to their survival.

The National Geographic Photo Ark project aims to capture photos of every species living in the world's zoos and other protected areas before they disappear. Throughout the summer, more than 45,000 digital screens across the country will feature Photo Ark images as part of the National Geographic Society and the Outdoor Advertising Association of America (OAAA) #SaveTogether campaign aimed at saving species at risk in the wild.

Many species in peril on Endangered Species Day

SU News

hall-of-fame-1jpg-4584434e8d006485.jpg

Who are Syracuse University's top donors? (PS; McMahon)

Looks like Julie forgot at least one person we all know...

A $5 million gift from Board of Trustees Chairman Steven Barnes is the latest multi-million donation to Syracuse University.

Barnes' gift will go toward creating a new recreational and wellness center, the Barnes Center at the Arch, to replace Archbold and Flanagan gymnasiums.

How does it stack up to other charitable gifts to SU? We looked into the archives to see which individuals and estates have contributed the most to SU over the years.

Here's a list of top donors that Syracuse.com has previously reported or were publicly announced. The list does not include every donation SU has ever received, including anonymous gifts and donations that were not publicized.

usa_today_9899034.0.jpg

Cam Johnson adds UNC to list; gets alteration to ACC block (aseaofblue.com; Marcum)

It looks like Cameron Johnson may stay within the ACC after all, or at least, he’s trying to keep that option open.

Johnson told Inside Carolina that Pittsburgh has lifted the ACC transfer block, but there’s a catch. If he does transfer to another ACC program, he must sit out a year, something he’s hoping to get lifted as well.

“Now Coach (Roy) Williams is trying to see if we can get Pitt to release the one-year sit-out on my release,” Johnson explained. “The most important thing now is getting it so I can play right away. It doesn't make any sense to just lose a year of eligibility, because I'm already on the clock on my five (years of eligibility to play four seasons). The main focus is just to get that down.

“I think it's just contacting certain people now who are within all of this. It's mostly what they're doing right now, in terms of talking to the ACC people and Pitt people. If I have to do further action in the future, then I'll do what I have to do.”

Family ACC Is Happy Now, But More Challenges Are Ahead (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

John Swofford said the best thing about the ACC meetings was that they were normal.

No concerns about expansion or realignment or any of the stuff that has roiled college athletics for the last several decade or so.

Everyone seems pretty happy with the ACC’s position and it seems that Swofford was the right man in the right place at the right time.

The conference still trails the Big Ten and the SEC in revenue but the ACC Network comes online in two years and that is expected to change things and perhaps considerably.

And it doesn’t hurt that the ACC won national titles in football and basketball. Both will bring in extra money.

Just as realignment completely changed college sports, there is a realignment coming in how sports are covered and experienced and, perhaps, even what we think of as sports.

ESPN, as you know, rose to great heights on the backs of cable bundles where, whether you wanted to or not, you got the Mothership.

Other

SnoTop10_JessicaSheldon_SP1.jpg

A Sno Top Ice Cream employee serves a cup of vanilla ice cream at the shop which has remained a local favorite in the area for 60 years. The shop, which is a 15-minute drive from Syracuse University, serves about 500 customers every day — many of whom are regulars who stop by more than once per week.

Here are 6 Syracuse ice cream shops to satisfy your cravings (DO; Staff)

As the warm summer weather finally makes its way into Syracuse, a cold dessert is a welcome commodity. Located in the Salt City area, these ice cream shops offer more than one way to satisfy those tasty cravings.

A La Mode Cafe & Catering
Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Sunday 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.

The shop originally opened in 1967 as a Carvel Ice Cream until then-owners Bishop and Claire Shaloom changed the name to A La Mode. Since 2010, Jeanne Catalfamo has owned the shop and expanded to offer a full catering menu. Most items on the menu are made in house.

Bailey’s Dairy Treat
Monday – Friday 8 – 10:45 a.m. Hours will increase for the summer.

Over the past few years, Bailey’s Dairy Treat has done a promotion for National Ice Cream Month and National Ice Cream Day. In 2014, the store offered a discount for patrons who answered trivia questions correctly. In 2016, the store pledged to donate a portion of every purchase to the American Cancer Society. So, you get more than just ice cream for your buck.

Broadway Cafe & Arctic Island
Monday – Friday 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.

In 1948, Arctic Island Ice Cream was founded by Arnie Taub, and then sold to Daniel and Gwen Sorber in 2005. After noticing the comradery of regular patrons the Sorbers decided to add on a café in November 2005. The café sells delicious homemade ice cream, milkshakes and sundaes and even offers soft-serve year-round.