Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Back to the Future Day!

Back to the Future Part II, released in 1989, starts out set in 1985 where the previous film in the series left off. Marty McFly, played by Michael J. Fox, along with Doc Brown, played by Christopher Lloyd, and Jennifer Parker, played by Elisabeth Shue, travel to the future in Doc's DeLorean to save Marty and Jennifer's future children. The date they travel to is October 21, 2015, the date which would become the first "Back to the Future" Day. In the years leading up to the day, photoshopped images appeared online that claimed the day of the DeLorean's twenty-first-century time travel had arrived. But true fans of the film series knew they had to wait until 2015.

SU News

Syracuse Men's and Women's Basketball Freshmen Guards Preview Upcoming Season (Sl; Budd)

This past Friday, Syracuse men's and women's basketball had their annual media day. This allowed the opportunity for fans and media to hear from some of the incoming freshmen players. Among the freshman who spoke was Lexi McNabb, Kennedi Perkins, Judah Mintz, Quadir Copeland, and Justin Taylor.

Women's Team

Lexi McNabb, 5’7 guard

When seeing the last name McNabb, the first image that comes to mind is Donovan Mcnabb, legendary Syracuse football alumni, who then went on to have an extraordinary NFL career, primarily with the Philadelphia Eagles. Another name that comes to mind is Raquel McNabb (formerly Nurse), who played on the Syracuse Women's Basketball team from 1995 to 1998 and ranks fourth in all-time assists for Syracuse women's basketball. Now coming into the spotlight will be their daughter Lexi McNabb, a 5’7 freshman guard, who in high school was a two-time 4-AArizona state champion in basketball.

At media day, McNabb was asked about her decision process in selecting Syracuse as the school that she would ultimately attend. McNabb already had a relationship with Felisha Legette-Jack, who was an assistant coach when McNabb's mother was a player on the team. Originally, McNabb had signed to play at Buffalo, where Leggette Jack was coaching before this year.

However, once Coach Jack decided to coach Syracuse, McNabb committed to the Orange.

“I originally did get recruited to Syracuse when Coach Q (Hillsman) was here, and it had always been a dream of mine, just my parents and everything.” McNabb said, “But you know, I also didn't want to follow my parents' footsteps as much. But, I just felt like, you know, God was kind of telling me, you know, this is where you're supposed to be, and this is where you're supposed to play as he, as coach Jack came. So I knew I had to take that opportunity.”

Kennedi Perkins, 5’6 guard

Kennedi Perkins is a 5’6 guard who attended Boolingbook HS in Illinois and averaged 15 points, five rebounds, two assists, and two steals throughout her high school career. Perkins was asked how that leadership and production will translate to the collegiate level.

“It's gonna be more difficult. The ACC is a competitive conference, but I'm just gonna be me, use my toughness and my basketball IQ to help the team as much as possible, even though I'm a freshman.” Perkins said. “ I feel like it can help the team in that aspect.”

Perkins also spoke on what makes Coach Jack such an extraordinary coach.

“Her passion, I appreciate that she loves the game and is willing to do whatever it takes to make her players better.” Perkins said, “And I love that she loves us, like she'll do anything for us and all we have to do is produce on the court in which we will.”

Men's Team

Judah Mintz 6’3 guard

The prize and most notable player from this year's Syracuse men's basketball six-man freshman class is, without a doubt, Judah Mintz. Mintz, a 6’3 combo guard, played high school basketball at the prestigious Oak Hill High school in Virginia, where many basketball stars have come and gone, including Syracuse Legend and future NBA Hall of Famer Carmelo Anthony.

Mintz was highly regarded throughout high school, being a 4-star prospect in the spotlight at Oak Hill. When asked about Mintz, Head Coach Jim Boeheim compared him to former Syracuse Guard Johnny Flynn, saying how, "He's as explosive a point guard as we've had here in a long

time. He's like Johnny Flynn, but he's much bigger." (Rothstein)

At media day, Mintz was asked how he is dealing with those high expectations being a top recruit and having five other freshman teammates. Since Mintz was the last one to commit, the decision became easier for him despite the high expectations of such a historical program at SU.

usa_today_17863855.0.jpg

Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Syracuse Orange men’s basketball player profiles: Symir Torrence (TNIAAM; Chiappone)

If it’s a day that ends in “y”, it’s another chance to talk Syracuse Orange men’s basketball.

With the season rapidly approaching, it’s time to round out our player analysis for the 2022-2023 men’s basketball team. I’ve already discussed two of the Orange’s premier guards: Joe Girard III and Judah Mintz. Let’s take on one more with veteran Symir Torrence.

The numbers aren’t jaw-dropping, but Torrence thrived for Syracuse toward the end of last season. In the first game of the 2022 ACC Tournament against Florida State, Torrence produced 9 points, 9 assists, and 2 steals in a blowout win for Syracuse. Without Buddy Boeheim in the lineup against Duke, Torrence stepped up with a 7-point, 6-rebound, and 11-assist performance in a close loss.

The Marquette transfer excelled in a limited but still productive role off of Syracuse’s bench last season. But heading into his senior year, the real question is where Torrence fits on this iteration of the team.

Position: Guard
Class: Senior
Vitals: 6-foot-3, 195 lbs.
Statistics (2021-2022): 13.1 minutes, 2.6 points, 1.6 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 0.4 steals per game, 42% FG, 50% free throw, and 38% 3FG.

Strengths/Weaknesses: Torrence gets bonus points for entering his fourth season in college basketball. In the NCAA, experience matters for teams looking to make a deep run in March Madness or are fielding a lineup filled with younger players. Torrence fits the bill for both.

This season, the Orange will be fielding a promising but inexperienced roster. Just five players (Torrence, Girard, Jesse Edwards, Benny Williams, and John Bol Ajak) from Syracuse’s 2021-2022 campaign remain on the team for this season. Only Edwards, Girard, and Torrence (by the end of the season) were receiving consistent minutes in Jim Boeheim’s rotation. In a roster lacking stability and someone who knows what to expect, Torrence brings plenty of value on that front.

On the court, Torrence’s playmaking and post-up game really stood out, especially against opponent backups. Ideally, Torrence can come off the bench and play next to some shooters, attack in isolation, and finish at the rim. In a small sample size, Torrence has proved more than capable of bringing value as a backup guard.

Defensively, Torrence is a solid athlete with great hands and decent strength. He’s been a pesky defender on the perimeter and has enough agility to get around screens. Defense isn’t a cause for concern.

But Torrence’s offense is a different story. Both his offensive floor and ceiling are incredibly low.

For his collegiate career, Torrence has been largely inefficient as a scorer across the court. His field goal percentage sits below 38%, although that did improve in Syracuse to nearly 42% last season. From the foul line, Torrence missed half of his 20 free throw attempts and is currently a 61.5% foul line shooter.

1666354754020.jpeg

Damarius Owens Details Syracuse Basketball Official Visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball hosted one of its priority 2024 targets last weekend for an official visit in forward Damarius Owens. Owens is a 6-8 forward originally from Rochester but currently playing for Western Reserve Academy.

"The visit was great," Owens said. "They showed me around campus and I met with all of the coaches and players. I also got to watch a practice and see how those guys worked. One of the best parts was the football game. The community and atmosphere was great. Everyone made me feel like I was family and showed me a great time."

While watching practice, Owens was paying attention to how the coaches taught and the players reacted.

"One thing I took away from the practice was how hard they played and how effective setting good screens can be," Owens said. "The coaches and the staff were always locked in and helping out the players. I also like how they dedicate time to player development during their practice."

During the visit, Owens spent a lot of time with the Orange coaches.

"The coaches talked about how they’ve had success with guys like me that can play/guard multiple positions," Owens said. "They showed me film on some of their former players and some of my film from this summer. It allowed me to see how I’d fit in the program."

The talented forward also spent time with the current players.

"I got to speak with the whole team," Owens said. "They all told me that it’s an amazing place to be academically and athletically."

One of the biggest highlights of the trip was experiencing a game day atmosphere when the Syracuse football team beat NC State.

"The football game was electric," Owens said. "Seeing the fans being so into the game really showed me how much they support and care their team and that’s special. They almost packed the Dome so it was loud. I feel like it was the best part because I got to spend time with my mom and dad. They love football so it was just a really fun experience all around."

Overall, the visit went extremely well. Syracuse will continue to be heavily involved in Owens' recruitment moving forward.

"The visit gave me a better understanding with what they have planned for me and what they want to do as a program," Owens said. "Syracuse will definitely be one of my choices when I decide to cut down my options of schools but I’m excited to see what other programs have planned for me and my future."

11281057.jpeg

Syracuse basketball makes final 3 for senior big man, decision likely soon (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball remains a significant contender for 2023 big man William Patterson from New York City, according to a recent media report.

The 7-foot Patterson, an emerging and underrated power forward/center in the senior class, is down to a trio of schools in his recruitment.

Those making his top three are the Orange and two Big 12 Conference squads, Oklahoma State and TCU, according to a recent interview conducted by Patterson with 247Sports national analyst Dushawn London.

According to London, Patterson is eyeing a commitment announcement next month. Certainly, it’s encouraging that the ‘Cuse has made Patterson’s final three suitors still in contention for him.

Syracuse basketball remains in the running for 2023 big man William Patterson.

In late August, Patterson received a scholarship offer from the Orange coaching staff, around the time that the ‘Cuse conducted its annual Elite Camp.

Patterson told 247Sports that Syracuse basketball head coach Jim Boeheim offered him after the Elite Camp was completed, “which meant a lot.”

Per recruiting services, Patterson holds scholarship offers from the Orange, TCU, Oklahoma State and Rutgers. He has also drawn interest from Cincinnati and UCLA.

As a junior, Patterson put forth a solid season for the Bishop Walsh School in Cumberland, Md., which is a member of the loaded 10-team National Interscholastic Basketball Conference.

However, according to a recent article from Brian Reichert of nychoops., Patterson transferred to The Patrick School in Hillside, N.J., for his senior stanza.

On the AAU circuit, Patterson has suited up for the New York City-based New Heights Lightning in Nike’s EYBL league. New Heights Lightning is an excellent grassroots basketball program.

Jesse-edwards-678x381.jpg

Syracuse basketball player Jesse Edwards at the 2022 ACC Tipoff in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2022. (Photo by Nell Redmond/ACC)

Syracuse's Edwards, Girard named to TJO Preseason All-ACC Team - The Juice Online (the juice; Silver Jr)

As we head toward the start of the 2022-23 college basketball season, here are The Juice Online’s Preseason All-ACC Teams:

All-ACC First Team

GuardIsaiah Wong (Miami)
GuardDariq Whitehead (Duke)
ForwardJustyn Mutts (Virginia Tech)
ForwardJayden Gardner (UVA)
CenterArmando Bacot (UNC)

Isaiah Wong – a veteran point guard goes a long way in the NCAA. Just ask Jeff Capel. Wong is back for another trip around the ACC, and adding Nijel Pack will only make Wong’s ability to create off pick-and-rolls and set plays even more dangerous. Wong will be an entertaining player this season and will play in the NBA Summer League in 2023. If he can get his free throw percentage back up into the 80 percent range, Miami will be a hard team to beat in the down-to-the-wire ACC games we have all come to love.

Dariq Whitehead – the No. 1 recruit in the country, Whitehead was the top recruit for a reason. Whitehead will be the next one-and-done star for Duke and ride off to the NBA in April as a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft. Whitehead accomplished all you could his senior year of high school; see McDonald’s All-American MVP. I expect him to show scouts across America why he will be a fantastic consolation prize for whoever does not get Scoot Henderson or Victor Wembanyama.

Justyn Mutts – Mutts returning to Blacksburg surprised me as he appeared set to enter the NBA draft. The NBA is a wing league, and if Mutts can develop his 3-point shot, he has the potential to be a great 3-and-D at the next level. Lucky for Hokie fans, Mutts will be looking to improve that long-range shot at Virginia Tech and not the G-league. Virginia Tech has the makings of a top-five team in the ACC this year, and Mutts looking to enhance his draft stock from a late second-rounder can potentially push them ahead of in-state rival UVA.

Jayden Gardner – The definition of a basketball Swiss Army knife. Gardner can guard all five positions and play on all three offensive levels. Gardner is a stud and the exact player we have known Tony Bennett to covet. UVA is back and will be a top-three team in the ACC; expect Gardner to be the star of the show in Charlottesville.

Armando Bacot – Despite most likely getting drafted last year, Armando Bacot is back in Chapel Hill to finish what Kansas prevented him from becoming. Was he filming Season 3 of Outer Banks with Netflix during the offseason? Yes. Will John B and Sarah Cameron affect Bacot’s season? No. Bacot is my choice for Pre-Season ACC Player of the Year. Bacot is everything you want in today’s NCAA, in terms of a center, and I expect him to pick up right where he left off in last year’s NCAA championship game.

All-ACC Second Team

GuardTerquavion Smith (NC State)
GuardDane Goodwin (Notre Dame)
ForwardMatthew Cleveland (Florida State)
ForwardJohn Hugley (Pitt)
CenterPJ Hall (Clemson)

All-ACC Third Team

GuardRJ Davis (UNC)
GuardJoseph Girard III (Syracuse)
ForwardJesse Edwards (Syracuse)
ForwardBaba Miller (Florida State)
CenterDereck Lively (Duke)

Syracuse basketball alums in NBA openers: Jerami Grant shines in Portland’s win PS; $; Waters)

The NBA opened its 2022-23 season this week and one Syracuse basketball alum had himself an impressive start to the year.

The NBA pulled back the curtain on the 2022-23 season with a pair of games on Tuesday, but the league really swung into action on Wednesday night.

There were four former Syracuse players on Opening Night rosters around the NBA. Here is a look at how each of the Orange alums fared:

Jerami Grant

Grant is entering his 9th season in the NBA, but his first with the Portland Trail Blazers after an off-season trade from the Detroit Pistons. The 6-foot-8 forward averaged 19.2 points and 4.1 rebounds for the Pistons last season.

Grant made his Portland debut a memorable one on Wednesday. He led the Blazers to a 115-108 win over the Sacramento Kings, scoring a team-high 23 points and hauling in eight rebounds.

Grant showed off his improved shooting stroke, making all three of his 3-point attempts. He also threw down a rim-rattling tip-slam that had the Portland bench reeling.

2022 ACC Mascot Basketball Game - Stadium (watchstadium; video)

During halftime of the Boston College vs. Miami game at the 2022 ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament, all 15 ACC team mascots jumped onto the court for a quick game of hoops. It was ACC Coastal teams playing against ACC Atlantic teams.

ACC Roundup: Time To Hoop! (DBR; King)

The college basketball season is just around the corner now so we’re slowly getting back to ACC Roundup.

There are a few themes that we’ll be following, generally speaking. Obviously the new staffs at Duke and UNC. The teams have been a duopoly for decades now. Can that continue?

What about Virginia? How will the Cavaliers bounce back after the various difficulties since the spectacular 2019 season?

Then there are the looming retirements at Miami, FSU and Syracuse. Jim Larranaga, Leonard Hamilton and Jim Boeheim all seem incredibly youthful but all three are, of course, in their ‘70s and time is undefeated.

We’re also curious about the development of Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and Boston College. All three programs have a chance at real improvement. All three are also very well coached and fun to watch.

Then there’s Notre Dame. We thought that Mike Brey’s formula, which relied on marinating players for a year or two before they stepped into the rotation, might be in mortal danger with the transfer rule and the chaos of the pandemic. He has risen above it all though and had a dynamite team last season and a hugely experienced team this time around. In his media appearances, he has been loose, funny and utterly unpretentious. About our only concern is his beard: in or out, dude.

Then there’s Josh Pastner’s status at Georgia Tech: is he on the hot seat? It’s hard to see how he couldn’t be. He did a great job developing Jose Alvarado and Moses Wright, but he’s been at Tech for six years now, going on seven, and his record is 94-96. He made the NIT once, won the ACC Tournament once and, subsequently, made the NCAA once.

There are many admirable things about Pastner. He’s relentlessly upbeat. He takes his faith seriously and is observant. He keeps a book of Jewish prayers and meditations with him and tries hard to do the right thing, which is not necessarily common in his profession, let alone the rest of the world. He’s extraordinarily intelligent, having finished his undergrad work at Arizona in 2 1⁄2 years. The man took 33 credit hours in one semester. You try it.

MBB: ACC vs B1G when it counts (RX; HM)

MBB: ACC vs B1G when it counts

update: added bar graphs; corrected 2 numbers.

From the CSNBBS thread "Jim Boeheim says success measured by NCAA tourney, takes shot at Big Ten", based on what OrangeDude had to say...

At this point in time, I think not only is the ACC superior to the B1G in terms of the NCAA basketball tourney, but it appears even the B12 has surpassed them.
Using the 2015-16 as the demarcation point in the sport when the last major conference realignments for the P5 slowed down (with Louisville joining the ACC) -
Here are the numbers that I have

Total Number of Teams for the last 6 tourneys

Other

GPVCILBQZNA6LDGK54HHPKFXTU.jpg

Developer proposes 6-story student complex that would maintain Ward Wellington Ward home (PS; $; Carlson)

Another competitor is looking to break into the lucrative student housing market around Syracuse University.

A Wyoming-based developer is proposing a six-story apartment complex across from the old Genesee Grande hotel that will include 315 housing units, an enclosed parking garage, a pool, yoga room, courtyard and study lounge.

The developer’s proposal includes maintaining the outside of a Ward Wellington Ward house that currently sits on East Genesee Street next to the proposed housing. The house is currently one of three buildings that sit between two other luxury student apartments, Theory Syracuse and Copper Beach Commons.

The developer said it would renovate the interior of the home and use it to provide amenities to residents of the new complex.

Ward Wellington Ward was a famous architect who did the majority of his work in Syracuse. Twenty-nine of his buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

The proposal, from Timberwolf Capital Properties, would run along South Crouse Avenue, from East Fayette Street to East Genesee Street. The main entrance would sit on the corner of South Crouse and East Genesee.

The plan would create a stretch of three consecutive luxury student apartment buildings along the business corridor of East Genesee Street across from the Genesee Grande and Phoebe’s Restaurant.