Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Sons-and-Daughters-Day-August-11.jpg

Welcome to National Son and Daughter Day!

Son and Daughter Day, which goes by other similar names such as National Son's and Daughter's Day and Son's and Daughter's Day, is a day that celebrates sons and daughters and brings parents and children together for some quality time. Parents spend time with their children, give them gifts, make something for them, call them on the phone, and show their appreciation for them in other ways.

J. Henry Dusenberry of St. Joseph, Missouri, a hotel employee who had previously been the business manager of old Missouri Wesleyan College, was behind the movement for the creation of a day dedicated to sons and daughters. In 1936, he got the idea to have a day to honor sons and daughters just like there had been a day to honor mothers and fathers, after he heard a young person ask why there wasn't such a day. He started trying to get recognition for the day, known as Sons and Daughters' Day, in the spring of 1936. Clubs were formed in 22 states to boost the movement for the day; the first club was in St. Joseph, and Dusenberry was named its president. The day was held on the fourth Sunday of October. To observe the day, parents were to put a vase in a prominent place in their home, and a flower was to be put in it for each child, including for children no longer living at home and for deceased children. Each flower was to be named for the child it represented.

SU News

OM6HFUZITRBYFDVMLOCP3ATPZQ.JPG

Will the ACC play football this fall? Syverud has seat at the table (PS; $; Carlson)

The NCAA doesn’t have much say in whether college football gets played at Syracuse, Clemson or Notre Dame this season. Syracuse chancellor Kent Syverud does.

The college sports world spent much of Monday fixated on the Big Ten, where rumors swirled about whether the league was ready to cancel the season and, perhaps, set the dominoes in motion for a fall without college football.

When the ACC decides what path to pursue, Syverud will be one of 15 people with a voice.

Syverud was named the chair of the Atlantic Coast Conference Council of Presidents in 2019 and the chair of its Board of Directors in a restructuring this offseason. That restructuring continued to give the league’s 15 school presidents and chancellors the ultimate authority on conference affairs.

Syverud is the first chair of the board under the new structure and is one of six school presidents on the league’s executive committee.

That will put Syverud at the head of the table when the 15 school presidents attempt to make an immensely complicated decision, one that must factor in the safety and desires of athletes, the legal ramifications and finances of schools, the desires of alumni and fans, the trend of athlete empowerment, the state of testing, the status of the pandemic in other states and the continued unknown long-term impact of the virus.

The decision on whether to try to play football during a pandemic this fall, and when to do it, has been kicked down the road by school officials and administrators for months in hopes the landscape would improve. There was hope the pandemic would be contained, that testing and treatment would be ramped up or that the virus would weaken with the heat.

Will there be college football in 2020? We ask ESPN.com's Andrea Adelson - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

There’s no such thing as a football offseason goes, and that’s never been more true with the coronavirus. The question of whether a college football season will even happen has accelerated over the past few weeks as we barrel toward the end of summer, with the Pac-12 and Big 10 reportedly ready to cancel their seasons.

Could the ACC be far behind? I welcome on ESPN.com’s Andrea Adelson to talk about the latest developments on this, and even Andrea admits to me right at the open that she’s trying her best to keep up with all of the news.

I also chat with Andrea about a far range of topics, including her thoughts on an 11-game ACC season, whether college athletes will continue to band together, and if there actually is a season, who she thinks will win the ACC. (Unfortunately, she doesn’t have Syracuse playing in a bowl game in this scenario.)

TJO editor in chief Brad Bierman then calls in and we delve further into the potential for the ACC to cancel its season. As he reported yesterday, his sources are saying that the ACC will follow suit with the other Power 5 conferences, and postpone the entire 2020 football season.

Syracuse focused on preparing to play amid increasing doubts for college football season (wktv.com,; Davidson)

While questions are looming regarding the status of the college football season for the Power 5 conferences, the ACC has yet to pull plug. Until hearing otherwise, the Orange are going about their business.

With the fate of the NCAA Division I FBS season in doubt, Syracuse is focusing on business as usual, as much as they can during a pandemic, until they are told otherwise.
After players sat out the first couple of days of practice for training camp due to concerns over opponents' coronavirus procedures, the team returned to the field on Saturday for a pair of practice days over the weekend.

With so much uncertainty surrounding them, getting back on the football field allowed the Orange to find some sense of normalcy.

"Practices have been amazing," said head coach Dino Babers via Zoom video conference on Monday. "Based on all the other stuff that's gone on, I almost feel like it's been a release that they can lose themselves and do something they really enjoy with a bunch of guys that are all COVID free. The practices we've been able to do have been some of the best practices we've had in a long time."

The first weekend on the turf came amid the growing potential of the season crumbling down before it even really begins.

According to reports, the commissioners of the Power 5 conferences (ACC, SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten, Big 12) called an emergency meeting, Sunday, to discuss growing concern that it may not be feasible to hold a season with decisions regarding possible postponements or cancellations hanging in the balance.
More reports surfaced, Monday, that the Big Ten is expected to announce the cancellation of its season following a vote from its presidents council, though nothing has been made official just yet.
There are also reports that the Pac-12 presidents council is scheduled to meet on Tuesday to vote on the fate of the season.

SOURCE: Pac-12 ADs and coaches met with Larry Scott tonight. League presidents are expected to vote Tuesday on whether the Pac-12 will postpone the fall season, delay or proceed.
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) August 11, 2020

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Syracuse Basketball's 2020-21 Scoring Distribution and Cuomo Gives Positive News for College Football 8/4 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Aki & Leonard)

Tim Leonard and Tyler Aki discuss how they see Syracuse basketball's scoring get distributed this upcoming season. Who can take a big leap? Who will be stagnant or dip? Plus, New York governor Andrew Cuomo gave some good news in regards to the college football season. But is it enough to change your opinion on whether or not there will be a season?

Follow the show on Twitter @LO_Syracuse and follow the guys @Tim_Leonard4 and @TylerAki_

Audio Vault (ESPN; radio; Rain & Matt)

On today’s show with Rain and Matt, they talk about the Big 10 conference reportedly postponing fall sports, the bubbles having ZERO positive tests and chat with Niko Tamurian from CNY Central, plus more!

EFD227ZL35BWFAUD7NKWNS4IIA.JPG

SU football opens training camp with season in peril (photos/video) (PS; $; Bailey)

As all sessions are closed to media, SU Athletics provided video and photos (above) from Saturday.

Here's video from Day 1 of Syracuse's preseason camp on Saturday. Will have a short story up with photos soon. All provided by SU Athletics as practices are closed to media.

— Stephen Bailey (@Stephen_Bailey1) August 10, 2020
But how many more times will Syracuse get to take the field with a 2020 season on the table? A fall campaign is in peril after the Mid-American Conference axed its year on Friday. The MAC followed Connecticut as Football Bowl Subdivision schools to pull the plug. Select Power-Five players, including SU defensive lineman Cooper Dawson, have already opted out of playing this year.

Over the weekend, the Big Ten presidents met on consecutive days, according to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports, and “Sunday night ended with an expectation that the season will be canceled in the upcoming days.”

As the sport’s top decision-makers weigh the ramifications of closing the door on football this year, some players are making a late push to try to save the season. Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence has been one of the most vocal in the #WeWantToPlay movement.

#WeWantToPlay

— Trevor Lawrence (@Trevorlawrencee) August 10, 2020
Syracuse is slated to hold its third practice on Tuesday. SU head coach Dino Babers will speak with media on Monday afternoon for the first time since players sat out the scheduled start of camp.

Boston College football announces zero positive cases for COVID-19 after administering 164 tests - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

On Monday morning, Boston College announced that after testing 164 football players and team staff members over the weekend for COVID-19, no positive results came back.

Per @CoachJeffHafley, @BCFootball tested 164 student-athletes and staff over the weekend with zero positive results.#WeAreBC

— Jason Baum (@JasonBaumPR) August 10, 2020

This continues a trend with Boston College football, which has seen minimal positive rates going back to late June/early July, when players returned to campus.

Let the boys strap it up!! Over THREE weeks of no positive cases!! #WeWantToPlay we will do whatever it takes!!!

— Alec Lindstrom (@alindstrom7070) August 10, 2020

Boston College in discussions with Under Armour regarding contract - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

According to Sara Germano of the Financial Times, Boston College is currently “in disuccsions” with Under Armour regarding the school’s outfitting contact with the sports apparel and marketing company.

This news comes on the heels of Under Armour exiting apparel arrangements with UCLA and Cal — worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Both Pac-12 universities say they will contest the company’s termination move.

The decision from Under Armour comes at a time when college athletics, as an industry, is already dealing with a variety of burdens due to the COVID-19 pandemic, including potentially severe financial outcomes.

As Germano notes in FT: last month, David Bergman, Under Armour’s chief financial officer, announced that his company was taking measures to improve liquidity during the the current financial crisis brought on by COVID-19. Bergman said UA planned to evaluate its current marketing deals. Fast forward to now, and what’s happening at UCLA and Cal may seem surprising, but it’s really not.

Back in 2016, UCLA and Under Armour came to a record-setting apparel deal for college athletics: 15 years, $280 million, reportedly. Under Armour’s arrangement with Cal isn’t nearly as pricey, though it’s still exorbitant: $86 million over 10 years, signed a month before the UCLA contract.

For Under Armour to wiggle out of a deal valued at over a quarter-billion dollars, less than 30 percent of the way through the agreement, is wild. It’s also bad business and an obvious failure of the firm.

Boston College sports have been outfitted by Under Armour since July 2010 — a deal signed and announced in Dec. 2009. Back in March 2015, Boston College and Under Armour extended the partnership for another decade.

Just in: Boston College says they are also in discussions with Under Armour about their outfitting contract. "We will continue those conversations with the primary focus on doing whatever is best for our student-athletes and athletics department here at Boston College." https://t.co/nTi7ss2ljG

— Sara Germano (@germanotes) June 30, 2020

Updated 2020 Preseason FPI Season Projections (RX; HM)

Updated 2020 Preseason FPI Season Projections

From 247Sports "ESPN FPI projects ACC final records with new schedules" - here's a summary of projected win-loss records using FPI:

TeamWinsLosses
Clemson Tigers10.40.6
Louisville Cardinals7.73.3
Notre Dame Fighting Irish7.73.3
Virginia Tech Hokies7.53.5
Florida State Seminoles6.84.2
N Carolina Tar Heels6.33.7
Duke Blue Devils4.96.1
Miami Hurricanes4.76.3
Boston College Eagles4.66.4
NC State Wolfpack4.56.5
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets4.46.6
Pitt Panthers4.36.7
Wake Forest Demon Deacons4.36.7
Virginia Cavaliers4.16.9
Syracuse Orange3.47.6

Players, politicians push back against Big Ten’s reported plan to cancel football season (washingtontimes.com; Zielonka)

Whispers that the Big Ten and other collegiate conferences might be considering canceling the 2020 football season grew into a roar Monday, and everyone from University of Maryland players to the president of the United States had something to say.

Reports said that the Big Ten’s presidents voted to cancel the 2020 football season, with an announcement coming Tuesday, but a league spokesman told national outlets that no such vote had taken place.

Broadcaster Dan Patrick said a source told him that 12 of the conference’s 14 university presidents voted to call off the season due to continued COVID-19 health and safety concerns, and Iowa and Nebraska cast the two dissenting votes. The Detroit Free Press later confirmed the report.

This would make the Big Ten the first of the power five conferences to call off the football season, the biggest moneymaker in college athletics. The Mid-American Conference postponed football and other fall sports over the weekend and the Mountain West followed suit Monday. They became the first two Division I Football Bowl Subdivision conferences to do so to this point.

Just last week, the Big Ten appeared to be trying to move forward in 2020 with a 10-game, conference only schedule. Maryland and other member institutions released their new schedules on Wednesday; the Terrapins would have opened Sept. 5 on the road at Iowa.

A massive group of players has emerged to voice their desire to play in 2020. But that comes with some demands outlined in a social media campaign that circulated Sunday and Monday — universal NCAA health and safety measures, eligibility guarantees for players who decide to opt out of the season and the creation of a “college football players association.”

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence argued that athletes would be put at greater risk of COVID-19 if sent home from their college campuses than they would be from playing football.

“Football is a safe haven for so many people,” Lawrence tweeted late Sunday. “We are more likely to get the virus in everyday life than playing football. Having a season also incentivizes players being safe and taking all of the right precautions to try to avoid contracting covid because the season/teammates’ safety is on the line.”

“Could not have said it better myself,” Maryland running back Jake Funk, one of the Terrapins’ senior leaders, replied. “You will have the same issues if not worse by pushing the season to the spring.”

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh released a statement saying that there is evidence college athletic programs can keep the virus “controlled and handled,” pointing to the Wolverines’ containment of the virus and low numbers of cases since the football team reported back to campus.

Other

VEFNULYRVNAOTKV6KPJFIFUT3Q.jpg

Hidden Gems of CNY: Feast on top-notch Middle Eastern food while getting your car washed (PS; $; Miller)

Have you ever driven to Delta Sonic and just kept going because the slow-moving four lines that feed into one car wash stretched out into the street? That happened to me recently, and it turned out to be a blessing.

Because my car badly needed a wash and wax, and because I didn’t want to sit in my car for an hour, I headed two blocks west to the Bubble-Up Car Wash on Genesee Street in Fairmount. The sign there says you drive “in dirty and out purdy.” It just so happens that Bubble-Up shares a building with Baghdad, a Middle Eastern restaurant that opened in early January.

Not only did I leave with a ‘purdy’ car, I left with a full stomach.

Baghdad is a one-man operation, and it’s NOT affiliated with the car wash. Firas Hashim is the owner, chef, server, business manager and custodian. His father taught him to cook back home in Iraq. He’s been cooking professionally for 17 years, the past six years in the United States.

Before starting Baghdad, he and his longtime friend and co-worker opened Sumer in Westvale Plaza in 2017. It was the first Iraqi restaurant in the Syracuse area. He sold his half to his friend last year and opened Baghdad.

“Yes, I realize this is a car wash,” he said rolling his eyes as a white Honda Accord popped out to be towel-dried next door. “But I have a loyal group of customers who would come to a car wash or wherever I’m cooking to eat the food I make.”

I’m certainly not a student of fine Middle Eastern cuisine, but I know what I like, and I like this food a lot. Watching Firas prepare the food made me like it even more.

Everything he makes at Baghdad is prepared that day and cooked to order. He grinds his own lamb and chicken for kebabs, he mixes his own falafels, and he creates every sauce and dressing that tops entrées or salads.

Last edited:
I remember when King David's mideastern joint opened a few doors to the left of Cosmo's - what a treat in the era before even mexican food made its way to Syracuse (exccepting Taco Bell).

I remember when King David's mideastern joint opened a few doors to the left of Cosmo's - what a treat in the era before even mexican food made its way to Syracuse (exccepting Taco Bell).
The Syracuse food scene is getting quite a bit more cosmopolitan these days.

Hopefully the Salt City Market will help here.