Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1024px-General_Robert_E._Lee_surrenders_at_Appomattox_Court_House_1865.jpg
Welcome to Appomattox Day!

Appomattox Day marks the date when the terms of surrender were signed to end the Civil War, after almost four years of fighting. Confederate commander Robert E. Lee had recently abandoned the Confederate capital, Richmond, as well as Petersburg, Virginia. His goal was to regroup his troops, who were low on supplies and food, and fight on. On April 8, his troops were almost completely surrounded near Appomattox Court House, Virginia. Still, on the following morning, the Confederates mounted an offensive under the command of Major General John B. Gordon. At first it was going well for the Confederates, but eventually they were turned back as they were outnumbered. General Lee is noted as saying, "There is nothing left me to do but to go and see Gen. Grant, and I would rather die a thousand deaths."

Robert E. Lee surrendered to commanding Union general Ulysses S. Grant in the front parlor of the home of Wilmer McLean. Lee had sent a message to Grant earlier in the day saying he would surrender, and they met at 1 pm. Representative of the nature of the two men, Lee arrived impeccably dressed, with sash and sword, while Grant wore a field uniform that had mud splattered on it. Grant quickly wrote the terms of surrender after Lee asked for them. The Confederate troops were pardoned. The soldiers were allowed to keep their horses, which would be helpful for spring planting, and were allowed to return home. They also were given Union rations so they wouldn't starve. Confederate officers could keep their swords and sidearms.

SU News

Axe: Syracuse football works in the spring shadows to recover from a 1-10 season (PS; $; Axe)

Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers arrives at the Iocolano-Petty Football Complex most days in darkness.

The sun isn’t shining in the Ensley Center when the Syracuse University football team revs up spring practice shortly after 6:00 a.m.

That represents both a literal and metaphoric description of what SU football faces in recovery from a 1-10 season in 2020.

Babers, in his lone media appearance so far during spring ball, proclaimed a new day had arrived for Syracuse football.

1-10 you say? Doesn’t matter. It’s ancient history.

“Based off of our record last year, it is going to have nothing to do with what we do with this year’s team,” Babers said. “It really is a new day. Carpe Diem. We need to seize the day and get after it.”

Babers was a little more revealing in a conversation with Class of 2022 commit Malachi Davis in saying ‘I’m done being the laughingstock of the ACC’

“I can tell he’s driven,” Davis said about Babers. “I can tell he’s motivated to not make what happened last season happen again.”

9091170.jpg

Former Texas OT Willie Tyler transfers to Syracuse (burntorange.com; Daniel)

Former Texas Longhorns offensive tackle Willie Tyler won’t be donning burnt orange in 2021, but he’ll still be in another shade of orange, as the former JUCO product announced on Thursday that he’s committed to the Syracuse Orange.

Committed! pic.twitter.com/fK3hKCFSbZ
— Willie Tyler III™️ (@TheWillieTyler) April 8, 2021
“First off, I want to start off by saying than youth God! Also, thank you to Herman, Hand, and Jake Langi for believing in me and giving me an opportunity here,” Tyler wrote. “To all of my brothers at UT it will always be love! I’m thankful for y’all the most for brining me in like family from day 1. I’ll meet y’all at the top!”

This decision comes nearly three months after Tyler entered his name into the transfer portal in mid-January.

A fourth-year player in 2021, Tyler was a late addition to the 2019 recruiting class by the Longhorns after spending one season at Iowa Western. Originally from Wisconsin, Tyler played defensive line in high school and signed with Garden City CC in 2017, but left the program before appearing in a game. The next season at Iowa Western, Tyler made the transition to the offensive line.

So the 6’7, 335-pounder arrived in Austin as a raw prospect and redshirted during the 2019 season. And then Tyler made the decision to opt out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns, one of four players in the Texas program to do so.

Syracuse lands commitment from Texas OT transfer Willie Tyler (247sports.com; Bailey)

Syracuse football landed a commitment from Texas offensive tackle transfer Willie Tyler on Thursday. He has three years of eligibility remaining and can compete immediately after receiving his undergraduate degree from UT in May.

The 6-foot-7, 335-pound Tyler also received offers from Louisiana Monroe, Eastern Michigan and Arkansas State. He becomes the third transfer to pick the Orange this off-season, following Mississippi State quarterback Garrett Shrader and New Mexico State defensive back Jason Simmons Jr.

"First off, I want to start by saying thank you to God!" Tyler wrote. "Also, thank you to (Tom) Herman, (Herb) Hand and Jake Langi for believing in me and giving me an opportunity here! To all of my brothers at UT, it will always be all love! I'm thankful for y'all the most for bringing me in like family from day 1. I'll meet y'all at the top! Forever grateful, 55."

Tyler entered the transfer portal on Jan. 19, and within an hour, fellow Racine (Wisc.) native Kramer Cook had reached out to him. Cook, SU's director of recruiting, was quickly followed by other staff members. And before the week was out, head coach Dino Babers spoke 1-on-1 with Tyler and pitched him on coming in to compete for the starting right tackle job.

Texas OL Transfer Willie Tyler Commits to Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football added a big piece to its offensive line for next season as Texas transfer Willie Tyler announced his commitment. He has three years of eligibility remaining. Tyler is the third transfer Syracuse has added this offseason, joining defensive back Jason Simmons and quarterback Garrett Shrader. Tyler is coming to Syracuse as an offensive tackle but is versatile enough to play guard as well. He picked the Orange over Eastern Michigan, Arkansas State, New Mexico, BYU and Louisiana-Monroe.

Tyler is listed at 6-7, 335 pounds. He played tackle at the junior college level but was considered a guard for the Longhorns.

Tyler signed with Texas out of Iowa Western Community College in the 2019 recruiting cycle. He redshirted as a sophomore in 2019, and opted out in 2020 due to concerns regarding the coronavirus pandemic. Therefore Tyler never even played a down for Texas before transferring out with the Longhorns change in its coaching staff. Tyler was expected to compete for a starting guard spot before opting out of last season.

As a junior college prospect, Tyler picked Texas over Louisiana Tech, SMU and West Virginia.

On The Block On Demand 4-8 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent calls up Mike McAllister from Syracuse on SI to discuss the newest member of Syracuse Football, Texas transfer Willie Tyler, and how he’ll fit in on the Orange offensive line. Then, an update on who’s in and who’s out on the Men’s Basketball team, including a player who left Brent thinking “that’s a bummer” at the end of the season.

WY7L6FZHFJDRXA6L2YABC4JBZY.jpg

Obit: He played championship football with Ernie Davis and Jim Brown (PS; $; Dellinger)

Charles John Wink, of Baldwinsville and St. Petersburg, Fla., died Sunday, according to his obituary.

Wink was originally from Curwensville, Pa. He attended Syracuse University on a football scholarship, where he played with the 1959 championship football team. He received his undergraduate and doctoral degrees from Syracuse University, and his masters from Penn State.

An article in The Post-Standard from 1995 said “he played with SU greats Ernie Davis and Jim Brown.”

Wink was a veteran of the US Navy, and volunteered at the St. Petersburg Veterans Hospital in Florida.

He retired from the Syracuse City School District, where he was a teacher and athletic director.

The 1995 article from The Post-Standard said Wink started at the Central Technical Vocational Center where he taught physical education, swimming and track. He moved to Henninger High School, where he was the school’s athletic director and football coach. After a brief sabbatical to pursue his doctorate in physical education, Wink returned to Henninger, where he continued to teach until his retirement in 1995.

Services will be private.

JHowell's 2021 Week 1 Picks (RX; HM)

JHowell's 2021 Week 1 Picks

JHowell.net has posted projections for the first week of the 2021 season. Below are JHowell's ACC football game projections through the games of 9-6-21 (and one former ACC team playing in a game of interest to many readers of this blog), followed by some commentary of my own...

The Picks:

Thursday, September 2, 2021

#38-Virginia Tech (-0.5) vs. #26-North Carolina (TP=57 Odds=.513)
#43-N C State (-13.5) vs. #103-South Florida (TP=55 Odds=.733)

Friday, September 3, 2021

#53-Wake Forest (-20) vs. #123-Old Dominion (TP=57 Odds=.815)

Saturday, September 4, 2021

#1-Alabama (-24.5) vs. #20-Miami (FL) (TP=55 Odds=.878) @ Atlanta, GA
#2-Clemson (-3) vs. #4-Georgia (TP=52 Odds=.558) @ Charlotte, NC
#35-Pittsburgh (-28.5) vs. #130-Massachusetts (TP=60 Odds=.893)
#36-West Virginia (-10) @ #102-Maryland (TP=58 Odds=.670)
#87-Duke (-2) @ #109-Charlotte (TP=55 Odds=.537)
#89-Georgia Tech (-8) vs. #116-Northern Illinois (TP=52 Odds=.656)
#100-Ohio (-0.5) vs. #92-Syracuse (TP=61 Odds=.505)

FB Attendance, Private Schools (RX; HM)

FB Attendance, Private Schools

This article was inspired by a post on CSNBBS called "Expansion talk with regard to the ACC". Here's a look at football stadium capacity versus undergraduate student enrollment at a number of FBS private schools...

Private SchoolsUnder Grad
Enrollment
Stadium
Capacity
Capacity /
Under Grads
BYU31,29263,4702.03x
USC20,35177,5003.81x
Syracuse15,27549,2503.22x
Baylor14,10845,1403.20x
Miami11,30765,3265.78x
TCU9,47445,0004.75x
Boston College9,37044,5004.75x
Notre Dame8,73177,6228.89x
Northwestern8,32747,1305.66x
Stanford6,99650,4247.21x
Tulane6,96830,0004.31x
Vanderbilt6,88640,3505.86x
SMU6,71032,0004.77x
Duke6,64940,0006.02x
Wake Forest5,28731,5005.96x
Rice3,98947,00011.78x
Tulsa3,27630,0009.16x

Other

QGFKC4U2FFB6PPB6LO4LMPA7N4.jpg

Rising lumber prices build another $20,000 into the cost of new houses in Syracuse area (PS; $; Moriarty)

Rising lumber prices have pushed up the cost of a single-family home by more than $20,000 in Central New York since the coronavirus pandemic began.

Ronald Milback, managing partner of Milback Customer Homes, said the exact same 1,703-square-foot house he built a year ago for $261,900 would cost $301,900 now — a $40,000 increase — because of the increased cost of lumber.

“It’s crazy, and there’s no end in sight,” he said. “I’ve never seen anything like it in my lifetime. I’ve seen spikes because of natural disasters like hurricanes, but nothing like this.”

Nationally, lumber prices have skyrocketed more than 180%, causing the price of an average new single-family home to increase by more than $24,000 since April 17, 2020, according to the National Association of Home Builders.

The association was among more than 35 housing and commercial construction organizations that sent a letter last month to U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina M. Raimondo urging her to examine the lumber supply chain and seek remedies that will increase production.

Just to clarify two points if I may:
1) I don't care what the computers say, there's no way Syracuse should lose to Ohio U; that's just disrespectful.
2) 'Cuse is one of the biggest private schools in the nation in terms of undergrads; the Dome should be full for every home football game, period! Those who've graduated since 2010 should be more than enough to fill every seat, not including t-shirt fans...

Just to clarify two points if I may:
1) I don't care what the computers say, there's no way Syracuse should lose to Ohio U; that's just disrespectful.
2) 'Cuse is one of the biggest private schools in the nation in terms of undergrads; the Dome should be full for every home football game, period! Those who've graduated since 2010 should be more than enough to fill every seat, not including t-shirt fans...
In the Northeast, football is entertainment not religion. Sure, fill the Dome if they are good. But, if the team isn't any good, people will spend their entertainment dollars elsewhere.