Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
thumbnail-2.26.12-PM.png

Welcome to Houseplant Appreciation Day!

Created by The Gardener's Network, Houseplant Appreciation Day is for caring for and giving a little extra attention to your houseplants, or to begin growing some if you have none. It's the perfect time to focus on them since winter precludes you from gardening outside. It's also shortly after the new year, meaning you've probably already taken down your Christmas tree or other holiday decorations, leaving your house pretty bare—perhaps you find a neglected houseplant in the corner, or perhaps your find nothing at all. Common houseplants include aloe vera, bamboo, spider plants, rubber plants, and African violets. Houseplants are perfect for in homes because they can grow with low light, low humidity, and in cooler temperatures.

SU News

Syracuse Football: Star Albany transfer heads to FSU; what’s next for SU? (itlh; Fiello)

Highly regarded and sought-after transfer player Jared Verse, who received offers from many high-major teams including Syracuse football, has announced via his Twitter feed that he will in fact transfer from the University of Albany to Florida State. I wrote about him recently along with a few other names I thought would be exciting to see playing at Syracuse but sadly this one did not pan out.

And while I am sad he did not choose Syracuse football because I really liked him, I wish him nothing but the best in his future. He is a talented defensive lineman who could have helped fill a critical need for the Orange football team but in life, people have to make the choice they feel is best for them, and Verse feels like FSU is the best fit for him.

COMMITTED #GoNoles @FSUCoachJP pic.twitter.com/NB9L6cqEEM
— Jared Verse (@JaredVerse1) January 8, 2022

So what or who is next for Syracuse to target in the portal? In recent interviews including with ESPN Syracuse, Head Coach Dino Babers has said that he and his staff are definitely utilizing the transfer portal and “hitting the portal hard.”

So instead of crying over spilled milk, I want to open up the fridge to see what milk bottle (I like my milk from Byrne Dairy glass containers whenever possible) we have left to choose from. Here are a few names with offers whom Syracuse football fans might like to see eventually commit to the Orange.

Let’s take a look at some possible other Syracuse football recruits.

Dan Villari – QB

The former Michigan Wolverines QB has announced he will transfer and has received an offer from Syracuse University, according to his Twitter account and various sources. Villari is a 6-foot-4, 235-pound duel-threat QB with 3-4 years of eligibility remaining. I like this as I truly think the QB position needs competition for the 2022 season on the Hill.

I like Garrett Shrader and think with a full offseason of workouts and practice that he can improve but I also think having someone else competing allows SU the opportunity to not only validate if he is THE starter but also give a reliable backup option should Shrader struggle or is injured as well.

I mean once upon a time a Michigan QB once sat on the bench when a $100 million dollar QB was ahead of him on the roster only to end up as possibly the greatest NFL quarterback of all time when the starter went down. And Villari is coming from working with Coach Jim Harbaugh to now potentially working with Coach Jason Beck and Coach Robert Anae, who have a history of working well with quarterbacks.

Isaiah Johnson – CB

Isaiah is a 6-foot-4 cornerback who is looking to transfer from Dartmouth with two years of eligibility left. SI’s Mike McAllister wrote a brief story on him, which you can find here, and why he thinks Isaiah is excited to come to Syracuse and that he is an intriguing name to watch.

This would solidify a solid secondary and provide depth at a position that has seen recent success resulting in NFL roster spots. Mike does note Colorado and Vanderbilt are also in the mix and pending Covid protocols, would like to visit all three soon.

Steven Stilianos – TE

Some of you may see the Orange targeting a TE and wonder why one may want to attend Syracuse based on a recent lack of involvement in offensive game plans. But don’t forget that with the addition of Coach Anae and Coach Beck, that could change. Steven is 6-foot-5, 245 pounds and would come in with two years of eligibility looking for a graduate degree. Syracuse could help both of those if the new staff can help show him how they will utilize him efficiently.

According to ESPN stats, he has averaged well over 100 yards receiving each season while at Lafayette and could provide a quality one, two punch with Chris Elmore utilizing the position in creative ways to help the passing game in 2022.

Francois Nolton, Dimitry Nicolas, Isaiah Buxton and Wayne Peart

These four players are not in the transfer portal but are actually high-quality recruits worth following. Wayne Pert is 6-foot-5, 255 pounds and has played on both sides of the ball at TE/FB and DT. Isaiah Buxton is a cornerback with a high school state championship on his resume and one of the most recent to announce he was offered a scholarship. Dimitry Nicholas is a 6-foot-4, 260-pound DE/DT who also has offers from Miami, Texas A&M, Georgia and Oregon. And last but not least is former Florida Gators commit Francois Nolton, who de-committed when the staff at Florida was removed. The good news is that Syracuse football was in early on him and he has a great relationship with Coach Nick Monroe but many will also point out that Nolton has other big-time offers now, which is not surprising based on the information Mike McAllister provided in a recent article.

Former Syracuse Players in the NFL Playoffs (SI; McAllister)

The NFL Playoffs are set and Syracuse football has several players that will be participating. Here is a full list of former Orange players that are on teams in the playoffs, listed by team.

ARIZONA CARDINALS

Chandler Jones - Edge: Jones is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and starts at outside linebacker for the Cardinals. He recorded 10.5 sacks and forced six fumbles during the 2021 season.

Koda Martin - Offensive Lineman: Martin is on the Cardinals' practice squad. He has been active at different parts of the year, and saw the field in two games.

Justin Pugh - Offensive Lineman: Pugh starts at guard for the Cardinals. He helps block the interior for one of the better offenses in the NFL.

Cardinals first opponent: at Los Angeles Rams.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Chris Slayton - Defensive Tackle: Slayton is on the 49ers practice squad and has not seen the field this season.

49ers first opponent: at Dallas Cowboys

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

South Carolina football adds transfer commitment from former ACC starter Terrell Dawkins (yahoo.com; Boynton)

South Carolina added a commitment from the transfer portal this weekend to a big area of need when former North Carolina State defensive end Terrell Dawkins announced he will be joining the Gamecocks.

“I trust God more than man, thankful for this opportunity #Spursup,” Dawkins posted to his Twitter account.

Former North Carolina State defensive end Terrell Dawkins is transferring to South Carolina. Here he is chasing North Carolina quarterback Sam Howell (7). Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
Dawkins (6-foot-4, 245 pounds) redshirted in his 2019 freshman season, playing four games all on special teams after undergoing surgery. He emerged as a big contributor in his second year when he started six games and led all ACC freshman with 4 1/2 sacks which was second on the team. He ranked fourth on the team with nine tackles for loss and was presented his team's Philip Rivers Award as top rookie.

Last season he was hampered by injury after undergoing surgery and was limited to 113 snaps over 10 games when he totaled just six tackles. He entered the transfer portal on Dec. 30 and has three years of elibility remaining.

College Football: Top 6 transfer portal running back additions for 2022 (saturdayblitz.com; Pryor)

Choosing the right running back is about scheme fit more than anything else. Coaches who look to the transfer portal for a running back are looking for someone to fit their system. Some schemes need a running back who can flex out like a wide receiver and catch the football.

Other systems want runners who thrive in a zone-blocking scheme. Like every other position in the transfer portal, you can find a veteran runner who can plug a hole until younger guys develop.

Coaches have proved to enhance their rosters and decrease turnaround time rebuilding through the portal. Michigan State head coach Mel Tucker demonstrates how masterful use of the portal can reduce the time it takes to build a winning program.

Nothing, however, is inevitable. A player is not part of a school officially until they enroll.

Dillon Gabriel’s flip from UCLA to Oklahoma is proof that nothing is official until that transfer is enrolled. Zach Evans is the best running back in the portal, and Lane Kiffin has to be thrilled the Rebels are in the lead for Evans.

Two other transfers to keep an eye on through this process are Louisville transfer Hassan Hall and UConn transfer Kevin Mensah. Hall is a veteran all-purpose back with tremendous open-field skills with the ball in his hand. He is a value add on special teams as well.

Mensah did not play well this season but had two 1,000 yard seasons. The 5-foot-9, 205-pound running back is likely looking for somewhere to improve his draft stock.

These six transfer portal running backs have found homes are great fits for their respective programs.

Last NY6 Bowl for each ACC Team (RX; HM)

Last NY6 Bowl for each ACC Team

CSNBBS user "Love and Honor" posted this under "Longest NY6 droughts for P5 programs"

Last weekend I was wondering how long it's been since some of less successful P5 teams have made one of the NY6 bowls so I went ahead and looked up the most recent appearance for programs that haven't played in any the past two decades. I didn't include Peach/Chick-fil-a appearances before 2014 since I never thought of it on the same level as the Cotton (which wasn't a BCS bowl either) or other big games until the CFP era, but in case you disagree I included the most recent Peach appearance in parenthesis where applicable.

Here's the list:

Never: Rutgers, Vanderbilt (1974), NC State (1995), South Carolina (2010)
1951: Kentucky (1993)
1958: Cal
1960: Duke (2013)
1961: Minnesota
1967: Indiana (1990)
1985: Boston College
1995: Northwestern
1997: Arizona State, (BYU)
1999: Syracuse, UCLA

Scheduling Guidelines for 2022 ACC Football (RX; HM)

Scheduling Guidelines for 2022 ACC Football

From "Scheduling for 2022" posted on CSNBBS by "StateFan":

While the ACC office works around everyone's OOC slate, they do it by trying to structure and orchestrate a path for television to follow.
Clemson is going to the most consideration on this followed by Pitt. Then Miami. Then NC State. The office will also have it's fingers crossed next year for WF, VT, and as always UNC.
Knowing that and taking into account bye weeks you can almost predict the schedule if you start with Clemson and Pitt.
Clemson is at ND 11/5 and hosts SC on 11/26 [They'll want an easy game on 11/19, or a bye - HM].
Pitt hosts WVU on 9/3 and Tennessee on 9/10
Miami is at TAMU on 9/17
NC State is tricky. They open at ECU and then host Texas Tech on 9/17.
WF could win another 8-9 games next year. They are at Vandy on 9/10 but host Liberty on 9/17.
VT hosts WVU on 9/24
Carolina has a trip to App State on 9/3 and hosts ND on 9/24.
FSU is probably DOA since they [travel] to Louisiana to play LSU on 9/4 and have to play Florida at year end in addition to game with Miami, Clemson, and NC State. They will likely get some tough back to backs.
State, WF, and UNC all have stupid games on the schedule. These G5 games against and in state school chomping at the bit are beyond dumb. All three could be lost.
[Neither] State and UNC, nor Pitt and Syracuse should be playing the last week. No Atlantic/Coastal cross overs in Week 13 please.
I agree with his rule of thumb about avoiding tough back-to-back games, as well as avoiding cross-division games in the final week(s) of the season. This was my reply:

Here are the year-end (week 13) pairings we know:

• Clemson-SC
  • FSU-UF
  • GT-UGA
  • UL-UK
  • VT-UVA
add UNC-Duke and NC State-Wake
In the Coastal,that's everyone except Miami and Pitt. Ideally, Pitt would end against WVU or Penn State... but then, who does Miami play? So you get Pitt-Miami by default.

In the Atlantic everyone is covered except BC and 'Cuse. Syracuse needs to end the season against BC - same division, mutual rivalry.
What to do with the other important in-conference rivalries?
NC State vs. UNC needs to be on the same weekend every year. Pick one.
Ditto Clemson vs. FSU, Clemson vs. GT, and FSU vs. Miami.
Miami vs. VT and Pitt vs. VT as well.

Schools without a Heisman Winner, 1935-2021 (RX; HM)

Schools without a Heisman Winner, 1935-2021

BGB comes up with another good list:
Power 5 Schools Without A Heisman Trophy Winner pic.twitter.com/64KLzY38ns
— Big Game Boomer (@BigGameBoomer) January 6, 2022
Here's the list in plain text:

American (2, future Big XII): Cincinnati, UCF
ACC (8): Clemson, Duke, GT, UNC, NC State, UVA, VT, Wake Forest
B1G (7): Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers
Big XII (5): Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas St, Texas Tech, West Virginia
Pac-12 (6): Arizona, Arizona St, Cal, Utah, Washington, Washington St
SEC (7): Arkansas, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss. St, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

The only power conference where more than of the teams have never had a Heisman Trophy winner are the ACC now (8/14 = 57%) and the soon-to-be expanded Big XII (7/12 = 58%). The other three are all sitting at 50%/.

That said, I think some deserving ACC candidates have been cheated out of Heismans in the past - with few teams as snake-bitten as the Clemson Tigers. For starters, why give it to DeVonta Smith over Trevor Lawrence? This isn't supposed to be a team award, guys! Before that, Clemson's Deshaun Watson had the misfortune of being a contemporary of Louisville's Lamar Jackson - although I think you can make a strong case for Watson over Jackson, at least I understand the pick.

Kelly Gramlich and Eric Mac Lain talk ACC football - Gramlich and Mac Lain (maclaniandgramich.captivate.fm; podcast; Maclain and Gramich)

Mac and Kelly preview the College Football Playoff National Championship with Ryan McGee, who knows a thing or two about the SEC!

Other

QG2RI2NFWVCFFGKVFN4DOJB2JY.jpg

Michael John Heagerty poses with umbrella installation. Photo by Benjamin Terry.Benjamin Terry

The face of creativity: Meet Michael John Heagerty, the mind behind Wildflowers Armory, ‘parklets’ and other endeavors (PS; Bono)

It’s an image that’s popped up in public spaces across Syracuse lately, from the Wunderbar building on West Street to windows on Water and Westcott streets, and even the coasters at Funk ‘n Waffles: a Warhol-inspired print of a bearded man in a fedora, splashed in bright pinks, yellows and turquoise.

The subject? Michael John Heagerty, a man known for his unabashed dedication to the city of Syracuse and its creative community.

From secret parties and the Syracuse Beard Council to rapping about potatoes under the stage name “Tots” and running Wildflowers Armory, Heagerty, 38, is known for dreaming up unconventional ideas and executing them. Not only is he involved with many projects throughout Syracuse, he has built up quite the persona for himself, resulting in his somewhat unwanted nickname of “Mr. Syracuse.”

Heagerty has a bright demeanor and distinct laugh. His own beard inspired the Syracuse Beard Council and his attempted Bearded Olympics. The superlative he won in high school still applies today as the “most likely to brighten your day.”

The culmination of Heagerty’s passions is Wildflowers, an artist collective that sells handmade items made by local vendors. Providing opportunities for artists and local businesses in the center of downtown, it grew from a small pop-up into a business that has been thriving throughout the pandemic.

He also pioneered the concept of the parklet - using on-street parking spaces to help restaurants expand their seating and offering outdoor dining downtown.

The latest display - a painting is credited to Susie Coyne and Patrick Coyne, part of the Little Room artisan collective at The Gear Factory - happened without Heagerty even knowing about it.

“He has long been an integral part of the creative community in Syracuse,” said artist Charlie Sam, a longtime member of the collective. “One of his strengths is his ability to identify good ideas and bring them to fruition.”

Here’s a look at the man behind some of the most creative endeavors in Central New York.