Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
200w.webp

Welcome to Earth Day!

The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970. Prior to this, there was virtually no environmental movement. Factories pumped toxins into the air, recycling was almost non-existent, and gas guzzling vehicles were the norm. The seeds of the modern movement had been planted, however, with the publishing of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring in 1962. This book raised the public's awareness of pollution and its effect on health. In 1969, water pollution and chemical waste disposal came to the attention of the public, after the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland caught fire.

Democratic Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin was deeply concerned about environmental issues. After witnessing the Santa Barbara oil spill in 1969, he began planning for the first Earth Day. This was during the time of Vietnam War protests and teach-ins, and Nelson thought he could bring the problems of pollution into the public consciousness by organizing similar types of teach-ins. He hoped that by shining a spotlight on environmental issues in this way, there may be a chance of bringing them into the realm of national priorities, where they had yet to be seen. He announced Earth Day at a conference in Seattle in September of 1969.

SU News

Explosive, adaptable and free-flowing: What we learned about new Syracuse offense under Robert Anae in spring (247sports.com; $; Bailey)

Robert Anae
took his first steps this spring in his attempt to provide a facelift to the Syracuse football offense. After coming to Central New York from Virginia, where he wrapped up a ninth season serving as Bronco Mendenhall's offensive coordinator, the 63-year-old Anae began installing his pro-style offense.

The goal, as he confirmed in an in-house interview this spring, is to build off the rushing success the Orange had last year behind All-American running back Sean Tucker while pulling efficiency and explosiveness in the pass game up from the doldrums of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"We hope, first of all, to take care of what we do well and let that be our starting point," Anae said. "So, run the football, and at the same time, I do think we’ve got to be able to threaten down the field with explosive plays. So to add both of those things is what we hope to do and points being the key motive for that."

The questions are many and wide-ranging. Can Garrett Shrader improve as a passer? Who will step up in a wide-open receiver group? Can one of the nation's worst pass-protecting units finally keep a signal-caller upright?

Of course, they were never going to be answered in the spring. But the 15 sessions this spring gave Anae and fellow UVA transplant Jason Beck to set the table. And it's clear that a group of frustrated returning players have taken to the new staff's approach in full.

josiah-brown.jpg

Josiah Brown Bonds With Syracuse Coaches on Visit: 'I Loved Their Energy' (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Hicksville (NY) Holy Trinity wide receiver Josiah Brown is considered the best player in New York in his cycle by many. Brown already held offers from Michigan State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and West Virginia. He spent Thursday on the Syracuse campus getting a closer look at the Orange.

"It was great," Brown said. "I went on a tour of the facility. I talked with coach Babers and coach Monroe. The best part was talking to the coaches because I loved their energy and how they detailed the culture of the program to me."

The discussion with coach Monroe, Brown's lead recruiter, was an important part of the visit.

"It was great," Brown said. "We actually talked about life in general. We also talked about my abilities on the field."

Entering the visit, Brown did not hold an offer from Syracuse. That changed before he headed back home.

"I was talking to coach Babers and he told me that Syracuse was going to offer me a scholarship," Brown said. "I was excited to be offered."

BJ Williams 'Smiling' After Syracuse Offer (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 Fairburn (GA) Creekside offensive lineman BJ Williams held offers from Army, Air Force, Lehigh, Memphis, Mercer, Navy and Penn entering Wednesday. That is when his first power five opportunity came when Syracuse extended an offer.

"Really it went very fast," Williams said. "Someone passed my film to the recruiting coordinator there and they really liked my film and reached out. Eventually the position coach at Syracuse (Mike Schmidt) watched it and said he really liked my film. Once they saw my measurements, things just happened very quickly."

It was actually a defensive coach, assistant Chip West, who spoke to Williams to give the offer.

"He told me to just stay focused and to keep improving my craft," Williams said. "I was very excited. I'm still smiling."

The 6-4, 270 pounder knows some things about the Syracuse program, but is still learning more about the Orange.

"I'm still researching honestly," Williams said. "As of now, I know about the number 44 being a historic number with Brown, Little and Davis. I know all those guys are int he college football Hall of Fame. I know and grew up playing Madden and using McNabb and Marvin Harrison."

College Football World Reacts To Rule Change News (thespun.com; Arend)

College football will implement several new rules this upcoming season, including one to address the targeting penalty. Under previous rules, players who were called for targeting in the second half would need to sit out the first half of the next game. A new rule could change that process.

Teams will now have the chance to appeal targeting penalties. The conference will have to submit a request to the NCAA national coordinator of officials who will then review the call in question. If the player was incorrectly penalized he won’t have to sit out the first half of the next game. It’s a significant step forward in the world of college football and the targeting penalty.

“The rules recommendations from March have been approved, as expected.

One of the bigger changes: A player’s targeting suspension for the next game can be appealed (though you shouldn’t count on many being overturned),” writes Ross Dellenger of SI.com.

That isn’t the only new rule college football will implement later this fall. The “Kenny Pickett rule” will take effect this upcoming season. The former Pitt quarterback used a fake slide attempt to dodge a defended during a 58-yard touchdown run in the ACC Championship Game.

Late Kick Blitz: Is Pitt ready to dominate the ACC if Clemson falters? (cbssports.com; video)

Even though they won the ACC last year, Josh Pate says in this excerpt from Late Kick Live that the Panthers don't have a firm grip on the ACC yet... but are a team that could take the reins of the conference if Clemson relinquishes it.

Other

LRGTPEDTRZDV3M2Z7QWODVRUKQ.jpeg

Sister Jane Bourne

‘A bittersweet decision’: Syracuse-area custom chocolate company made by nuns closes (PS; $; Doran)

When Sister Jane Bourne’s leader asked if she’d like to expand her chocolate-making hobby into a business in Syracuse 20 years ago, she readily agreed.

That was the beginning of NunBetter Chocolates and Custom Gift Baskets, a chocolate shop owned, operated and staffed by the Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities.

That’s come to an end. The retail chocolate shop closed permanently April 16 in what the sisters called a “bittersweet decision.”

Bourne, director of the retail shop, plans to enter a new ministry serving the other sisters. Also, the building that houses the shop at 6900 Buckley Road in Clay is undergoing renovations for another use. NunBetter moved from its Court Street Syracuse location to Buckley Road in 2014.

The Court Street location was part of a larger campus that included a former convent and a museum dedicated to Mother Marianne Cope. There, customers could watch the staff - all sisters - make the chocolate and assemble the gift baskets. That helped attract a loyal customer base.

From there, NunBetter began attracting corporate clients such as Le Moyne College, and providing chocolates and baskets for weddings, graduations and other events.

Earth is my favorite planet.
After returning from vacation, I have forgotten to check your blog for articles SU fans would find interesting. Sorry. Glad you posted and that reminded me.

This simulation of the 2022 season was interesting in a rubber necking at a car crash kind of way.